Cadillac XLR Forum banner

If you purchasced again would you consider

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am new to this forum.

I frequent a Lexus and Mercedes forum. I currently have a 2003 E320 and am considering a roadster/sports car.

I'm only interested in a convertible hardtop, so the following if a poll to help with a decision.

G

·
The Lexus is a toy and the MB is at the dealers all the time..........Your choice.
Captmike said:

I frequent a Lexus and Mercedes forum. I currently have a 2003 E320 and am considering a roadster/sports car.

I'm only interested in a convertible hardtop, so the following if a poll to help with a decision.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Captmike said:

XLR for sure and now is a great time to buy. GM is having the you pay what we pay sale. The advertised discounted price is a little over $68,000.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pamlicopirate said:
XLR for sure and now is a great time to buy. GM is having the you pay what we pay sale. The advertised discounted price is a little over $68,000.
While that is a good price, there are several things that I don't like about the car.

I have read that in 2006 some of my issues will be addressed.

Don't like the fact they have run flat tries-per, per the brochure.
Don't like the fact that the XM radio has a visible antenna
Really don't like the fact that there is brushed aluminum or silver painted plastic surrounding the radio head...need to have more wood inside.
I have read that when you open the trunk after a rain the water rolls into the trunk.
Don't like the fact that there is no Bluetooth.
Don't like the fact that there is no 5:1 surround sound and you cant play a DTS encoded CD in the car.

Some of my complaints are shared with the other 2 cars that I'm considering, the SC430 and SL500, but some of the above grips are standard on those cars.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
wow at 68k puts it right in line with the SC430 on price
but the styling between the two is almost as drastic as a VW and a ferrari.

All three are nice cars, but only the XLR has the WOW factor to turn every head it passes.

Don't understand why you wouldn't like run-flats, they're a great convenience.
I put aftermarket tires/wheels on mine and wish I didn't have to give that up.

Agree with the antenna, couldn't bear to install it on mine. I'm holding out for improvments. I understand the new version is inside te trunk lid.

I like the brushed aluminum radio face, gives it a sportier look, but thats a personal preference

The rain water into the trunk is never been a big deal. The lid is tapered such that it has minimal standing water, less if you keep it waxed good.

It does play 5:1 surround sound dolby digital............. but no DTS

All in all, if this is your whole list of complaints :nopity :yawn

G

·
Granted, your entitled to your opinion..............We XLR owners on this site like our XLR's clean and your throwing mud all over them. I would suggest that you take your opinions............Well you know!

Captmike said:
While that is a good price, there are several things that I don't like about the car.

ISome of my complaints are shared with the other 2 cars that I'm considering, the SC430 and SL500, but some of the above grips are standard on those cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
1_XLR said:
Don't understand why you wouldn't like run-flats, they're a great convenience.
I put aftermarket tires/wheels on mine and wish I didn't have to give that up.

I like the brushed aluminum radio face, gives it a sportier look, but thats a personal preference

It does play 5:1 surround sound dolby digital............. but no DTS

All in all, if this is your whole list of complaints :nopity :yawn
I drove the SC today. It has run flats. It was a rough ride compared to my E320 that I drove over the Lexus dealer. Most people on the Lexus forums complain about the ride with the run flats also and have put regular radials on the car. You could feel the vibration in the steering wheel and in the seat.

There are a few reasons that I would say no to the SC. 1. run flats. no 5:1, as in the XLR, the brushed aluminum of the radio head....but it has Bluetooth, something I wish the XLR has.

Back to the 5:1 surround (XLR). The brochure that I was given does not mention that it has surround at all. I asked the salesman (I KNOW) and he also stated it did not have surround. Perhaps you can provide a link to support your statement in that regard.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Captmike said:
I drove the SC today. It has run flats. It was a rough ride compared to my E320 that I drove over the Lexus dealer. Most people on the Lexus forums complain about the ride with the run flats also and have put regular radials on the car. You could feel the vibration in the steering wheel and in the seat.

There are a few reasons that I would say no to the SC. 1. run flats. no 5:1, as in the XLR, the brushed aluminum of the radio head....but it has Bluetooth, something I wish the XLR has.

Back to the 5:1 surround (XLR). The brochure that I was given does not mention that it has surround at all. I asked the salesman (I KNOW) and he also stated it did not have surround. Perhaps you can provide a link to support your statement in that regard.

The run-flats will naturally be a rougher ride, they’re a bulkier, heavy tire than radials. But it’s my understanding that the SC is just a rough ride, period. The change out to radials is an attempt to ease the problem. The run-flats on the XLR, however, provide a very comfortable ride on what is far superior suspension. I would assume you test drove one as well?

There have been several threads on the 5:1 surround here on this forum (where you’ll get much better info than most salesmen) you’ll need to search around some but here’s one I found: http://xlrforum.com/showthread.php?t=276

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1_XLR said:
But it’s my understanding that the SC is just a rough ride, period. The change out to radials is an attempt to ease the problem. I would assume you test drove one as well?

There have been several threads on the 5:1 surround here on this forum (where you’ll get much better info than most salesmen) you’ll need to search around some but here’s one I found: http://xlrforum.com/showthread.php?t=276
I agree that the run flats would be a harder ride, the members on the Lexus forum that have changed them out for regular radials have said that their ride has improved greatly but do not say it is STILL a rough ride.

I have been to 2 XLR dealers with 100 miles of me and niether has an XLR for me to drive or look at.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Captmike said:
I have been to 2 XLR dealers with 100 miles of me and niether has an XLR for me to drive or look at.

That's good to hear!

I don't think you'll be disappointed by the ride on run-flats, and they'll become a positive factor.

Be sure and crank up the tunes when you take one out.........9 Bose speakers in a 2 seater...........awsome sound!!
My first ticket in my XLR was for "excessive noise"

·
Registered
245 Posts
Not only would I consider another XLR, I jusr traded my 2004 for a 2005.
I know there is not supposed to be any real difference, but the new one is really great...much better to drive than the 2004...Placebo...possibly

Jack :flag

·
Registered
234 Posts
Captmike said:
I agree that the run flats would be a harder ride, the members on the Lexus forum that have changed them out for regular radials have said that their ride has improved greatly but do not say it is STILL a rough ride.

Hope you get a chance to drive one. My wife doesn't like the ride of the Corvette, but LOVES the XLR. Both have runflats (Michelan) and the XLR has a softer profile as well as some great suspension (magnetic controlled shocks) that the other makers don't have. You will appreciate the security while still enjoying a nice ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
1_XLR said:
I have read the on-line owners manual of the 2005 XLR and it does not even mention anything about Dolby Digital or surround. The only reference in the on-line owners manual to Dolby Digital is the logo that is printed on the NAV head unit. That does indicate that it has a DD processor.

I have done other searches and it appears that the XLR is only capable of playing a DD disc in the single slot and not in the 6 disc changer.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/auto/yourauto.html
http://www.dolby.com/assets/pdf/newsletters/353_Cedia2003Newsletter.pdf

G

·
You have it correct, captmike,

There's a Demonstration 5.1 surround sound DVD disc that came with my 2004 of Manheim Streamroller and Dorthey Hamill. The beginning starts out with meteor's coming in from all directions, and is quite impressive with the volume turned up. The DVD will not play in the CD

Captmike said:
I have done other searches and it appears that the XLR is only capable of playing a DD disc in the single slot and not in the 6 disc changer.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Head turning factor...

There is NO car that gets more attention than the XLR. Regarding those run flats, tires are a temporary thing. The car looks better with 19s, so if you don't like 'em, change 'em out. :)

Admittedly we on this forum are biased to the extreme. Just look at the poll.

However, Road & Track did this objective comparison:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=735&page_number=1

It helped me decide in favor of the XLR.

...anything for a fellow flyboy.

Airbus driver....geez! I'm impressed. :thumbs

·
Registered
26 Posts
Actually once non-run flats are on the SC430 the ride isn't rough at all.

In fact I found it far too soft.

Switched to a Tein CS coilover suspension with EDFC and Daizen sway bars, and it's STILL too soft! (19" Maya TS wheels BTW).

I've done a good bit of driving in the XLR and found the ride to be a bit more firm (a good thing for me), but cornering with the magnetic suspension is much much flatter.

I love the SC430, but the handling just isn't there and I'm considering either the SLK55, the XLR-V, or possibly the new BMW Z4 M Edition that's coming out.

SC430 = Steal of a deal, got it at $52k w/8k miles, soundsystem is incredible, handling far too soft, aftermarket remote control for the top is a superb feature that I can't get for the XLR. Back seat area is superb for cargo/groceries. Service is the best, they treat me like royalty and the Stevens Creek Lexus service facility in Santa Clara is just incredible. 36 lifts, floor is absolutely spotless, over 100 loaner Lexus vehicles, free coffee, espresso, lattes, cookies, pastries, internet access, big screen TV, nintendo for the kids, the list goes on and on. When I switch from Lexus I sure will miss the service!

SLK55 = Fair price at $70k loaded, Mercedes dealers are awful though, nav system is awful, great power, 0-60 in 4.3 will crush the XLR-V at a far lower price.

SL55 = Overpriced, far too heavy at 4200-4300lbs, nav system still sucks, looks great though.

XLR-V = $90-95k? You've got to be kidding me. Once the price drops as it did on the XLR it'll be worth the money, if it's in the $75k-$80k range sure, but $100k out the door for a GM? I don't think so. And no adaptive cruise control? Can that be added back on in any way? Can't believe they're dropping that. Love everything else about the XLR-V though, should be great power, great handling, great soundsystem, nav system, looks, interior and exterior. Certainly a great option when the price comes down.

BMW Z4 = I owned a Z4 with the 225hp 3.0 engine for a while, superb handling, nice ride, double the trunk space of my old Z3, but still not enough. Nav system is awful, they're absolutely DIRT cheap now. I paid about $53k for a fully loaded one when they first came out, the same car can be had for $25k-$30k now with 20k miles or so. Soundsystem is pretty poor though.

If they give the car a nice facelift, drop in the 321hp M3 engine, use the better SMG, keep the price not too high, the MZ4 might be a good option.

Another vehicle on the horizon? I'm hearing rumors that there will be a convertible version of the new Nissan/Infiniti Skyline GT-R. Possibly retractable hardtop, with a 450hp Twin Turbo VQ engine. Yum! Anyone driven the new Infiniti M45 Sport? Fantastic car. There's a new Lexus IS that will be out in a few months, and next year there are serious rumors of not only a convertible version, but they're thinking of droping the 4.6l V8 in there and plan to compete with BMW's M division on all fronts. Lexus IS460 with retractable hardtop? That might work too.

Either way, none of these cars are actually here yet except for the SLK55. Hmmm.

G

·
Jack,
I will get the info off the CD, but my son laughed at me when I said it came with the car. He then notified me that he gave me the CD sample...........I have no idea where it came from, but it sure is impressive. Maybe I'll have him run a copy off and then contact you.
Bob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dozer42 said:
SLK55 = Fair price at $70k loaded, Mercedes dealers are awful though, nav system is awful, great power, 0-60 in 4.3 will crush the XLR-V at a far lower price.
I thought this myself, but now that I have seen a XLR-V run a 12.66 quarter, I think it’s a close race with the V winning. Frankly, I’d have a hard time shelling out $70k for any car that's only 4” longer than a Miata. The SLK55 is 18” shorter the SL500/SL55 AMG and is extremely lacking in proportion. I fail to see the attraction but each to their own.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
XLR-V said:
I thought this myself, but now that I have seen a XLR-V run a 12.66 quarter, I think it’s a close race with the V winning. Frankly, I’d have a hard time shelling out $70k for any car that's only 4” longer than a Miata. The SLK55 is 18” shorter the SL500/SL55 AMG and is extremely lacking in proportion. I fail to see the attraction but each to their own.
Hi XLR V,
I took a close look to the slk 55 amg and, yes it`s fast but to me it`s more like a Miata with a big engine - too small!!!!
Hans

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts