Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every few weeks or so, I go to Google! and do a search for Cadillac XLR Wind Screen or some variation of it. Finally, after months and months someone actually has one! It's at http://www.windbaffle.com/. It's made of acrylic (or similar), not screen as some windscreens are (the Z3's and SL's I no longer own for instance).

Just wanted to put it out there for everyone. Not sure if I'll run and buy one but if anyone does, let me know. Also, if anyone knows of any other wind screens out there, preferably from Cadillac (MrXLR?), please speak up so we allcan make an informed decision.

Then I won't have to hear from my wife, "If you put the top down, it'll mess up my hair."

·
Registered
105 Posts
Have not seen any others but would be interested in purchasing--
looks weel made and secure
Could we get a XLR forum discount going with the mfg.?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Windscreen

Quixotic
Thanks for the intro, Early on about 3 years ago I asked that question regarding the need for a wind buffeting screen for the XLR. The answer came back quick & simple, Since most of the convertibles have either a back seat or a jump seat that would allow air to flow downward causing a vortex. To help eliminate that a wind screen is desireable.

The bottom line is since the XLR is a true roadster and there is no rear section to cause that wind circling possibility a screen is NOT recomended. Actually any type of a barier would change the air flow that the car was designed around changing the XLR's dynamics.

www.Cadillac-XLR.com

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tell that to my wife!

Interesting take though.

I guess for $220 it would be interesting to see what difference in handling and stability it really made.

I was under the impression that Cadillac was going to introduce a wind deflector during the 2005 model year.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ctsvman,

I wrote the people about getting a xlrforum.com discount. Let's hear back from them before we do anything.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Wind Screen

I had one of these wind screens for my Mercedes Benz SLK. Like the XLR, it had no back seat or jump seat. The windscreen worked great and was was much better than the net which had been provided by Mercedes Benz. The plastic windscreen kept the wind from coming around and grabbing your hat. Being clear, it did not interfere with the rear view like the net did. If the forum can get a deal on these I would be interested in buying them for my two XLRs.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Members of the xlrforum will be able to get a discount on the "Wind Terminator" shortly. Stay tuned while I work out the details.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Wind Terminator

Cadillac will not be introducing any type of wind deflection device for the XLR. The XLR Engineering Team previously tested various windscreen concepts, and found no benefit for the XLR, given the vehicle aerodynamics & design.
www.Cadillac-XLR.com

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will have one of these wind deflectors by the end of next week. I will take it through the paces and evaluate it and let everybody know if I can tell if the XLR's handling or aerodynamics are compromised as well as the wind defection and noise reduction capabilities.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quixotic:

I am very interested in what you discover post installing your new windscreen. I must admit that our personal experience agrees with Mr XLR comments that a windscreen just doesn't seem to be required.

DFXLR

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My initial reactions are mixed. I've been corresponding with the manufacturer and they have made some suggestions I want to try and I have some ideas I want to try myself and report back to them. I will post a detailed (shall I pun and say 'much winded') review with pictures soon.

This of guys with reasonable short hair don't have the same problem as our long-haired wives whose hair must look good upon arrival. Thus the search for anything that will allow me to take the top down as often as possible.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I spend almost 45 minutes on the phone today with the owner/designer of the wind deflector installed on my XLR. I explained to him that I thought the wind deflection could be better, but there are mitigating issues, like being able to have the top up while not having to remove the wind deflector limits the height of the unit.

The most interesting part of the conversation was the guy himself. He is a vascular surgeon who also has an engineering degree. The wind deflector business started when his daughter refused to take the top down on her LeBaron because it would blow her hair. Now where have we heard this before?

As I said in an earlier post, I have a mixed review to post but this guy is willing to work with me and possibly tweak the design a bit to improve it. So anyone who wants to run out and buy "last year's model" can do so but I would recommend waiting a few weeks and ordering the "new improved model" when we get that nailed down.

I have included a picture of the unit in a following post.

For those of you who can't wait for my complete and detailed review, I would say the unit as it is now is only partially effective. Whether physical improvements to the unit wil make a difference to its efectiveness in cutting the wind, time will tell.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks for doing all of this testing for us. I think I will wait till you say it works.
I can see where the XLR people might say it will not work or won't work that well because you are sitting very low in the car and the wind is going over your head. BUTTTTTTTTTTT like most of us I am hoping to find something that works better so I can run with the top down more often when my wife is in the car. Of which she is all the times I take it out.
Keep up the the great work and keep the updates coming.
Blaise :thumbs

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is a pretty good picture of the wind deflector. More will follow as I have time to post and explain them.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not that it would make that much difference but shouldn't the "glass" be on the back side of the roll bars? It might make a differance.
Blaise

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's what I thought (I initially installed it behind the roll bars) but I've been told it goes in front. It's also been suggested to experiment. Try it in front, in back, lifted a bit, angled... All of which I will do as time permits -- and report back to you people.

The best news is I will be borrowing a hand-held anemometer next week so I have some empirical results and not just my guestimate and opinion. I'll be able to tell you the exact wind speed inside the ****pit at various road speeds, with and without the wind deflector and with the wind deflector in different positions.

Sunscreen optional. :cool

·
Registered
36 Posts
Windscreen

Thanks for the information and picture. Please keep the infomation coming. Also please tell us when the new/improved model will be available and what the revisions are.
Bill in FL
(NM # 9)

·
Banned
0 Posts
As a new owner and poster I really appreciate your efforts to R&D a wind screen for everyone. I realize the original engineers tried and dismissed the concept, however there are always room for improvement if your willing to be flexible and think out of the box. :flag

1 - 20 of 46 Posts