Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the location of fuse or relay providing power to the hydraulic pump in the trunk thst operates the top on my 2005 XLR... TAI, Jim

·
Registered
59 Posts
you can start with fuse 44 in the fuse box under the glove box. check 32 while you are there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
you can start with fuse 44 in the fuse box under the glove box. check 32 while you are there.
I did. There are 2 fuses under the glove box and 2 under the hood. The truck latch opens but the truck won’t open unless you raise it manually. The pump will not run but it ran 2 weeks ago when I took the cylinders out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would start with the ground on the frame rail on the drivers rear, check it. of course check all the plugs to the motor. and to the top control module. Factory manual says when trunk unlocks and does not open, replace power top control module. I would check all my connections first since you said it was working ok. disconnect the battery and let it sit for 3 m=-5 minutes and see if you get a reset. Electrical problems are very hard to repair when not there in person. I have seen new fuses be bad check them with an ohm meter > double check you got them back into the correct locations.

·
Registered
59 Posts
you may also want to make sure the valve is open on the pump till it runs. Tap on the aluminum housing. the actual pump may have gotten dry and stuck. other than that the only thing it would be is a power problem, fuse or connection you can pull the wire plug off the motor and have someone help and check that its getting voltage. the pumps do fail and it may just be its time. Lets hope its something simple. One member said his pump did not work and he replaced the switch under the inside of the trunk. If the trunk is open and you push that switch to close ,do you get anything?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would start with the ground on the frame rail on the drivers rear, check it. of course check all the plugs to the motor. and to the top control module. Factory manual says when trunk unlocks and does not open, replace power top control module. I would check all my connections first since you said it was working ok. disconnect the battery and let it sit for 3 m=-5 minutes and see if you get a reset. Electrical problems are very hard to repair when not there in person. I have seen new fuses be bad check them with an ohm meter > double check you got them back into the correct locations.
Okay I will try that. Thank you. I live in Florida so if you want to come in person to do all the electrical checks that would be fine by me. LOL😂. It will be a few days till I am able to get back to the car project. I had this car since new in 04 and this is the only problem I have with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Checked everything today that was mentioned. Now my trunk unlock. Everything was working just fine two weeks ago. Checked and replaced all the fuses. Check the ground. The Cadillac $200 to start working on my car. Not going to spend $200 at the dealer. Not sure what to do anymore. 😩🤬🤬

·
Registered
9 Posts
My trunk will not unlock anymore. It will not unlock from the fob nor in the car. The only way to open the trunk is to use the key. I put the top down manually with the car running. Hoping that it would trigger all the switches and reset itself. Now I get ”top not secure“ code on my dashboard. Once again I pulled and replaced all four fuses and checked them with a meter. If the trunk won’t unlock then nothing else will happen for the top to start to work. The trunk will lock automatically when closed. Once again the trunk unlocked last week when I was working on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can anyone tell me the location of fuse or relay providing power to the hydraulic pump in the trunk thst operates the top on my 2005 XLR... TAI, Jim
I had the same thing happen on my 06 and checked fuses. 44 was bad. Replaced and no more issues. I’ve taken to marking ANY fuse that is bad to determine if this is a ’repeat’ issue. Took a photo of the fuse diagram and scribble date, and anything else I think important, and put the diagram in a small plastic bag and zip tie it to the fuse box. So far I’ve not had any repeats and wondering if it’s worth doing. Electrical issues always seem to get the best of me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have checked fuses that look good but don't ohm out. I always check even new ones before I install just to make sure

·
Registered
61 Posts
V Happy here
Ive owned my 06 V SINCE 09 TOP has worked flaulessly till a couple of months ago. got a top over heat on dash and trunk failed to work with 30,000 on the car i figured it couldnt be much boy was I wrong , started trouble shooting and got down to pump not working. googled XLR TOP and come up with videos from TOP HYDRAULICS Very informative on most aspects of the XLR top . When i found my fluid wasn't low but looked a shade dark I decided to send the pump out to Oregon along with all the cylinders My biggest fear at this time was the TOP CONTROL MODUAL was also bad ? TOP HYDRAULICS IS A FIRST CLASS PLACE TO DEAL WITH . They rebuilt the pump and all eight cylinders and gave me and extensive report motor on pump not running ,one cylinder shaft needed replaced ( I had suspitions of that cylinder leaking ever so slightly) Put all parts in and did a relearn with my tech2 and all works better with less noise . THERE is a gentleman there (KLAUSE) THIS GUY KNOWS XLR TOP and with email will answer your questions quickly and honestly. All is now good in my XLR
V HAPPY

·
Registered
7 Posts
V Happy here
Ive owned my 06 V SINCE 09 TOP has worked flaulessly till a couple of months ago. got a top over heat on dash and trunk failed to work with 30,000 on the car i figured it couldnt be much boy was I wrong , started trouble shooting and got down to pump not working. googled XLR TOP and come up with videos from TOP HYDRAULICS Very informative on most aspects of the XLR top . When i found my fluid wasn't low but looked a shade dark I decided to send the pump out to Oregon along with all the cylinders My biggest fear at this time was the TOP CONTROL MODUAL was also bad ? TOP HYDRAULICS IS A FIRST CLASS PLACE TO DEAL WITH . They rebuilt the pump and all eight cylinders and gave me and extensive report motor on pump not running ,one cylinder shaft needed replaced ( I had suspitions of that cylinder leaking ever so slightly) Put all parts in and did a relearn with my tech2 and all works better with less noise . THERE is a gentleman there (KLAUSE) THIS GUY KNOWS XLR TOP and with email will answer your questions quickly and honestly. All is now good in my XLR
V HAPPY

·
Registered
7 Posts
Total agreement about Top Hydraulics; and Klaus has 7 or 8 tutorials for making repairs as well. Many of you should avail yourselves of these- rather than being highjacked by huge expensive , and unneeded repairs by Cadillac dealers. Here in central MA a dealer first projected the need to replace, (rebuild) the two main lift cylinders for $1.600.00... The top failed the same after two or three cycles. I was then quoted $2,200.00 for replacement of several other cylinders an 4; yes 4 hydraulic lines, as thet later insisted the lines came as all 4 in a kit. Note, this also was accompanied by juvenile contradictions. This too was "open-ended" with the suggestion that the pump could be weak !
I asked why I could not see fluid on or about the hoses and cylinders - then being told - "under high pressure the hydraulic fluid turned to a mist ! Can you imagine that? I may have been born at night- but it wasn't last night !

·
Registered
56 Posts
V Happy here
V HAPPY
Give me the bad news - what did it cost?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts