Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer says the a/c accessory belt tensioner puller is the culprit for producing the squeal in my 2004 xlr engine compartment. The bearing is going out so it needs replacing. Both belts were changed 1000 miles ago before I purchased it. My dealer says the part is discontinued, and they can’t find the recommended replacement (part # 12590199) anywhere. It too has been discontinued. Since this is a common problem with these cars, how have other XLR owners fixed this problem??? My dealer has had it for two months now. It was suppose to be stored indoors, but now I found out that it’s been casted aside outside in the weather, because they say they can’t fix it. My dealership is 200 miles away. Is there an aftermarket part that would work? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for your time reading my post.

·
Registered
166 Posts
So hees what we found out. if you have the 04/05 with a round spring type tensioner, they show to still be available for about 250 from some sources. They may or may not have them. If you cannot get that tensioner you will need a mounting bracket update for the new style tensioner. Thses brackets are not avaiable new. Most recycle shops will not pull them off of an engine so they will be hard to find. Expect$$$%. The good thing js that many failed early back in 04/05 and had the new bracket and tensioner replaced under warranty . so your car may have the newer shock type tensioner and will not need a bracket change. The bracket i had was sold today and i will be getting the old style tensioner and bracket. My hope is we can rebuild the tensioner or modify the bracket so a change is not needed. I will update the post when i find out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts