Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me where the horns mount on a "07 XLR? I bought the car wrecked and can't even see any wires to give me a hint as to where they mount. :banghead

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
This applies to the '04, hopefully, it applies to yours as well.

The horn is located on the right skid bar.

Are you using a shop manual to rebuild your car? Available for around a hundred bucks, they're a small investment compared to the price of the vehicle. You really need one for the scope of the job you're undertaking. As you already know, assembling this vehicle isn't nearly as straightforward as most others due to the special materials, bonding procedures, etc required just for the bodywork alone. Electrically, it's pretty complex. I highly recommend you use one; it will save you hours of hair-pulling and ensure the car is as close to factory-right as your abilities/tools/resources allow.

CC :cheers

G

·
Just a little more help. You must have a rack because in mounting them you are doing it all by feel from under the car. You cannot see what your doing and use someone with a flashlight to guide you. The hook up is easy.
bobo
This applies to the '04, hopefully, it applies to yours as well.

The horn is located on the right skid bar.

Are you using a shop manual to rebuild your car? Available for around a hundred bucks, they're a small investment compared to the price of the vehicle. You really need one for the scope of the job you're undertaking. As you already know, assembling this vehicle isn't nearly as straightforward as most others due to the special materials, bonding procedures, etc required just for the bodywork alone. Electrically, it's pretty complex. I highly recommend you use one; it will save you hours of hair-pulling and ensure the car is as close to factory-right as your abilities/tools/resources allow.

CC :cheers

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks guys... CC: No, I don't have a shop manual... but I do have one on order, hasn't come in yet.
Bobo: I don't have the rad/condenser assy in the car yet, so have plenty of room in the area to mount the horns.
As you can see, the car is coming along... have the front end on and aligned. I can hardly wait to get it finished so I can drive it!!!:party
Rod

G

·
Looks like you'll have it ready for some good August weather. I hope they didn't cut the wiring harness off that goes up to the horns. GM has all books on this baby and since your dealing with just the front, it should be a cake walk.
Bobo
thanks guys... CC: No, I don't have a shop manual... but I do have one on order, hasn't come in yet.
Bobo: I don't have the rad/condenser assy in the car yet, so have plenty of room in the area to mount the horns.
As you can see, the car is coming along... have the front end on and aligned. I can hardly wait to get it finished so I can drive it!!!:party
Rod

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, the wiring harness to the horns is still intact. The problem is that GM in their infinite wisdom has opted to only sell universal horn kits that require hard wiring; the connectors don't match up. Not sure, but I'm thinking that '04-'08 Corvettes & XLR's have the same horns; maybe I can find the correct ones in a salvage yard off a Corvette???
Rod

G

·
Rod, I had two new horns put in my V and they plugged in the same as the ones coming out.
Bobo
Actually, the wiring harness to the horns is still intact. The problem is that GM in their infinite wisdom has opted to only sell universal horn kits that require hard wiring; the connectors don't match up. Not sure, but I'm thinking that '04-'08 Corvettes & XLR's have the same horns; maybe I can find the correct ones in a salvage yard off a Corvette???
Rod

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked with the XLR tech this morning when I took it in to have the tranny fluid topped off and air bag installed; he told me that that was how GM have been doing the horns for a few years (universal). Do you have the part number for the horns you got for your V? I would like to check if I can get them... I'm sure the connector is probably the same.
Rod

G

·
Roger that!
89043916 Horn Kit 2.810 & 89043917 horn Kit 2.810
They had these in the parts department so I can't be sure that they are GM or after market. I assumed they where GM because they had them onboard.
Whe is that puppy going on the road...........SOON?
Bobo

Checked with the XLR tech this morning when I took it in to have the tranny fluid topped off and air bag installed; he told me that that was how GM have been doing the horns for a few years (universal). Do you have the part number for the horns you got for your V? I would like to check if I can get them... I'm sure the connector is probably the same.
Rod

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are the same part numbers I received... they are GM parts, but are what GM calls "universal fit"... probably not exactly the same horn as the original. My guess is the dealership hard wired the connector off your original horns to the universal ones and plugged them in. My problem is I don't have the original connector from the horns.
I'm hoping I will be driving it in the next couple weeks... that is, if I don't get any paying jobs in the shop. Got to make $ to spend $, you know.
I will replace my avatar as she progresses in the her beautification...
Rod

G

·
Cadillac Tech (Bruce)

Cadillac Tech (Bruce) would be your best bet to find out how to get that harness and where it is connected. Just write a post in here to him or PM him, he will move mountains to get you an answer.
Bob
Those are the same part numbers I received... they are GM parts, but are what GM calls "universal fit"... probably not exactly the same horn as the original. My guess is the dealership hard wired the connector off your original horns to the universal ones and plugged them in. My problem is I don't have the original connector from the horns.
I'm hoping I will be driving it in the next couple weeks... that is, if I don't get any paying jobs in the shop. Got to make $ to spend $, you know.
I will replace my avatar as she progresses in the her beautification...
Rod

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks... I did just that. Got it back from the tech this afternoon. Have to replace the seat belt pretentioners, then have the air bag reprogrammed. Runs well... had to take 'r for a spin around the block... or two... had a hard time keeping my foot out of the fuel injectors!!!! ONCE DEFINITELY WAS NOT ENOUGH; I didn't want to get out!!! All driving it did was make me want to finish it quicker, but, this is one paint job I'm not going to rush getting done...
Rod

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heard back from Bruce... he told me that the universal horns are all that's available from GM. Guess I'll hardwire them in and maybe some day, I'll find some originals.

·
Registered
106 Posts
They put new original horns on mine recently. They are no longer 2 horns, but one unit with two horns. The location is in the compartment forward of the left front tire.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
They put new original horns on mine recently. They are no longer 2 horns, but one unit with two horns. The location is in the compartment forward of the left front tire.
My collision repair software still shows two separate horns; do you have a part number for the new assembly? Also, I show the location as in front of the right (passenger) tire; at least that's where the wiring is located on my '07.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts