Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, now I'm annoyed. Traded in my 2004 for a 2008, and found that GM saved a few pennies by no longer installing a real Homelink system and instead put in a similar (but no doubt cheaper) system made by LearCar2U. While the new set of buttons can be programmed to open my garage doors, they can't handle my community's entrance gates, which my Homelink did.

Now, LearCar2U claims they will send me a new visor that they will pre-program and pay to have installed. But, it's out of stock, and they have no idea when they will be able to do so.

What's worse, I bought a Platinum Edition, which I believe has different visors than the base version, and LearCar2U does not seem to even grasp the idea of their being two different Cashmere trim codes. They also didn't sound real confident about understanding which of the 3 buttons on my manual gate-opener I wanted the car to transmit.

So,my question at the moment is whether or not anyone has ever replaced a homelink unit without replacing the whole visor? If it's doable, I'd try to rip out the LearCar2u pos, and connect up a real homelink. Anyone done this?

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Yeah, it is do-able. Basically, the visor is two pieces of fabric-covered cardboard. The homelink unit is hot-glued onto one piece and both sections are folded over the visor bar and bonded together.

To take it apart, remove the visor (you have to pry a small plastic cover off that hides the fastener at the visor bar/header junction) and disconnect the small connector that will follow when you slowly pull the visor away from the windshield header. Tie 2' of string around the wires left in the windshield header --JUST IN CASE.

After that, use a flat-bladed tool (preferably plastic) and pry the visor open along the seam. You might be able to take the whole cardboard/homelink piece and swap it into the orginal visor if they have the same form/fit.

Hot glue it back together and re-install.

I have one opened up from a previous repair and can send pics of its guts if you PM me with an email address. I'm on travel this week so I wouldn't be able to send them until the weekend.

CC :cheers

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah, it is do-able. Basically, the visor is two pieces of fabric-covered cardboard. The homelink unit is hot-glued onto one piece and both sections are folded over the visor bar and bonded together.

To take it apart, remove the visor (you have to pry a small plastic cover off that hides the fastener at the visor bar/header junction) and disconnect the small connector that will follow when you slowly pull the visor away from the windshield header. Tie 2' of string around the wires left in the windshield header --JUST IN CASE.

After that, use a flat-bladed tool (preferably plastic) and pry the visor open along the seam. You might be able to take the whole cardboard/homelink piece and swap it into the orginal visor if they have the same form/fit.

Hot glue it back together and re-install.

I have one opened up from a previous repair and can send pics of its guts if you PM me with an email address. I'm on travel this week so I wouldn't be able to send them until the weekend.

CC :cheers
just a note to say cc what would this forum do without yourself and others with all the answers to the various problems we encounter with these wonderful complaicated machines,thanks to all!!:cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts