Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my '05 back to the dealer twice (so far) for a MAJOR water leak in the trunk. It will be returning for the third attempt at repair this Thursday. It is serious enough that the trunk is now developing a musty odor and my laptop case was once soaked. The salesman has told me that they will adhere to the "three strikes" concept....but I'm doubtful that it will be THAT easy - based upon other, similar posts that I have read. Has anyone here had a problem with water leaks / pooling in the trunk or elsewhere? Thanks for any guidance, direction or "ammunition" that you may be able to provide! :confused

Chris (in NY now, but moving to a MUCH-greater-incidence-of-rainfall Florida, soon) :rolleyes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Suggestion

I believe your dealer will do the right thing...but do it BEFORE you move to Florida.
But you know that...

No problems with leaks here. In fact, this complaint is a first on the forum.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
0 Posts
Suggest to your dealer that it's time to put a technician in the trunk with a flashlight and find that leak. I found the water channeling properties of the trunk and its mating surfaces to be pretty good and well engineered. The only down side is when you wash the car there is quite a bit of water stored in the channel which slowly drains off when you drive it. If you take the time to soak up the water and raise/lower the trunk a few times you can get rid of most of it.

Good luck with the dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
I've noticed if you open the trunk when the car is wet (or just washed for instance), it will drain a little water into the trunk. No evidence of a leak for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh well, it was a valiant effort!

UPDATE

After three valiant attempts, a total of two and one half weeks in service and some very compasionate folks at Danbury Cadillac feeling our pain - our '05 Xenon XLR appears destined to be "returned" to GM. Upon checking the trunk for any leaks following last night's rain storm, I found that the problem persists. Both metal Cadillac finish plates inside the trunk lip were filled with water and the trunk carpeting was, once again, soaked. The smell of mildew in the car is also now becoming intolerable for my wife (who has allergies, to boot!). What a shame - we really love this car. :nodno

I sincerely hope that Cadillac does "the right thing" by us.

Please feel free to respond / comiserate if anyone has any input or suggestions.

I'll let everyone know what happens in the end run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
crgny said:
UPDATE

After three valiant attempts, a total of two and one half weeks in service and some very compasionate folks at Danbury Cadillac feeling our pain - our '05 Xenon XLR appears destined to be "returned" to GM. Upon checking the trunk for any leaks following last night's rain storm, I found that the problem persists. Both metal Cadillac finish plates inside the trunk lip were filled with water and the trunk carpeting was, once again, soaked. The smell of mildew in the car is also now becoming intolerable for my wife (who has allergies, to boot!). What a shame - we really love this car. :nodno

I sincerely hope that Cadillac does "the right thing" by us.

Please feel free to respond / comiserate if anyone has any input or suggestions.

I'll let everyone know what happens in the end run.

This may be a bit extreme, but if I were trying to find the leak I would take a water hose (assuming no freezing temps) and, with the trunk closed, use a very tight spray on each section of the trunk until I found the leak. It might take a few hours (spray, open trunk, look for leak, close trunk, spray, open trunk, look for leak, etc) to find. You'll probably have to spray a lot of water at each spot to be sure it isn't leaking.

If this is rain storm water I'd suspect that it is either a direct path (in which case spray from above) or is pooling somewhere first (should be visible). If it were me I would do the experiment at the Cadillac dealer to make sure that they were the ones doing any "rain damage".

Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Additional UPDATE

Well, she's now back with the dealer for the FOURTH time to try and locate the water leak(s). I have now opened a "case" with Cadillac. They have indicated that they wanted the car back in the shop in order to "establish the condition now" - since the service department has reported that they "can not duplicate the problem." :banghead That all seems a bit odd to me, since EVERY time that it rains or the car is washed - the trunk gets soaked! The car now smells so sickeningly musty that my wife refuses to drive the car. :( This entire mess is becoming quite frustrating and I am hopeful that GM "does the right thing". The sad part is that there does not seem to another Xenon Blue / Shale XLR anywhere within 500 miles of my home. That color combination is the reason that we purchased the car. It will be interesting to see how this problem is settled. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress with this (hopefuly) LAST trip to the dealer for this problem.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
0 Posts
As suggested in an earlier post, there is no way to find such a leak without putting someone in the trunk to actually monitor the situation. The trunk/top is well-designed with adequate water channeling capabilities. Obviously something on your car is not right, so the only way to track the water ingress is to observe real-time, ie, put someone in the trunk and turn on the faucet. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried that!

I suggested the "get in the trunk" approach to finding the problem. I was told that the trunk is just too small for anyone working there to fit inside with the lid closed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....................they have now actually tried that approach (get in the trunk) and have located the source of the leak. But, they can not seem to FIX it!

So, now the "round-and-round" begins with GM. The car has been in for a repair of this problem for a total of nearly 4 1/2 weeks since we purchased it in July. Cadillac (GM) states that they "can not disucss any potential remedies until the problem is repaired." DUHHHH! If you can not FIX the problem, does that mean that you will NEVER discuss this with me unless I do something about it first? (Mind all of you, this is simply me ranting and spewing rhetoric) :banghead

Anyhow, it certainly does appear that I will be filing a NYS Lemon Law claim at this time next week if the problem has not been repaired to my satisfaction. BTW - I have been told that a Field Rep is going to come out and review the problem. That Rep was initially not available until AFTER THE FIRST OF THE YEAR! However, after some kicking and screaming, the Rep is now going to appear "some time next week" - SHEEESH! Although everyone involved has been pleasant and accomodating, it does not seem that anyone really wants to "step up" and do the right thing with this vehicle.

My take on the entire matter - the area where the water is infiltrating the trunk (below the rear window) was mis-formed when the car was made and NOTHING will properly repair the leak. I am certain that they will try all sorts of "bubblegum and spit" fixes, but on a $75K+ car - it is simply unacceptable.

Any random thoughts or remotely related experiences from anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
crgny said:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....................they have now actually tried that approach (get in the trunk) and have located the source of the leak. But, they can not seem to FIX it!

...

Any random thoughts or remotely related experiences from anyone?

My sympathy...I can give you four (or so) items from my own Caddy buy-back experience (about 20 years ago). 1) If anybody offers to replace a part with a part from another car or the factory, it is very difficult to match the paint without repainting. 2) You have to have patience since GM is allowed to try various repair techniques but you also have to be satisfied with the results. 3) Things got better after I had met with the zone rep *and* had contacted a lawyer who had dealt with lemons before. The lawyer only told me what to say but never had to file any papers. 4) Stick with what you want and don't change (don't either increase or decrease the demand). Of course, these are all my personal opinions and you really should consult a lawyer for real advice.

That is about all I remember. I consider my story to have been a good outcome and I must have been satisfied since I bought another Cadillac. BTW, the GM of the (now defunct) dealership told me when I asked for a new car, "it will be a cold day in heck (edited for this site) before you get a new car". It was very cold in Baytown four months later ;-) Advice for future GMs - never challenge your customers even if they look young (at that time).

Andy
 
G

·
I'm not at liberty to respond to much here, based on what my lawyer has told me, but in about 30 to 40 days I will have some difinitive answers for you on the L word.

I will say that I have 3 problems that have existed since I owned my 04 and has been in over 5 times on one, 4 on another and 3 and one other and plenty more times for other things, not to mention a lot of days lost for it being in the shop. think I'll gt a sleigh
More in January.

crgny said:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....................they have now actually tried that approach (get in the trunk) and have located the source of the leak. But, they can not seem to FIX it!

So, now the "round-and-round" begins with GM. The car has been in for a repair of this problem for a total of nearly 4 1/2 weeks since we purchased it in July. Cadillac (GM) states that they "can not disucss any potential remedies until the problem is repaired." DUHHHH! If you can not FIX the problem, does that mean that you will NEVER discuss this with me unless I do something about it first? (Mind all of you, this is simply me ranting and spewing rhetoric) :banghead

Anyhow, it certainly does appear that I will be filing a NYS Lemon Law claim at this time next week if the problem has not been repaired to my satisfaction. BTW - I have been told that a Field Rep is going to come out and review the problem. That Rep was initially not available until AFTER THE FIRST OF THE YEAR! However, after some kicking and screaming, the Rep is now going to appear "some time next week" - SHEEESH! Although everyone involved has been pleasant and accomodating, it does not seem that anyone really wants to "step up" and do the right thing with this vehicle.

My take on the entire matter - the area where the water is infiltrating the trunk (below the rear window) was mis-formed when the car was made and NOTHING will properly repair the leak. I am certain that they will try all sorts of "bubblegum and spit" fixes, but on a $75K+ car - it is simply unacceptable.

Any random thoughts or remotely related experiences from anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
crgny said:
I have had my '05 back to the dealer twice (so far) for a MAJOR water leak in the trunk. It will be returning for the third attempt at repair this Thursday. It is serious enough that the trunk is now developing a musty odor and my laptop case was once soaked. The salesman has told me that they will adhere to the "three strikes" concept....but I'm doubtful that it will be THAT easy - based upon other, similar posts that I have read. Has anyone here had a problem with water leaks / pooling in the trunk or elsewhere? Thanks for any guidance, direction or "ammunition" that you may be able to provide! :confused

Chris (in NY now, but moving to a MUCH-greater-incidence-of-rainfall Florida, soon) :rolleyes
no leaks here. I get my car washed at a high pressure place every Tues and Friday and have never had a leak. Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Buy Back

As it stands right now, GM is processing the paperwork for a buy back of the XLR. They (GM and the Dealer) have, to this point, stood 100% by their word. What a sad sight, though, seeing our car covered in 3/8" of dust in the corner of the service area :nodno - The car has been with the Dealer now for about 6 weeks and a total of about 9 weeks for the same problem. Everyone involved now is simply frustrated by the inability to repair the leak(s). Well, at least the story will end on a good note for us. Sadly, it will not be the same for the car!
 
G

·
Sympathy

You have my sympathy. I'm very attached to my 04 and have had some bad things that keep occurring with mine, I have taken another avenue to get some results and when completed will share with all. My process will be known to me in about 30 days,:banghead :banghead
Bob

crgny said:
As it stands right now, GM is processing the paperwork for a buy back of the XLR. They (GM and the Dealer) have, to this point, stood 100% by their word. What a sad sight, though, seeing our car covered in 3/8" of dust in the corner of the service area :nodno - The car has been with the Dealer now for about 6 weeks and a total of about 9 weeks for the same problem. Everyone involved now is simply frustrated by the inability to repair the leak(s). Well, at least the story will end on a good note for us. Sadly, it will not be the same for the car!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
nicksdragon said:
no leaks here. I get my car washed at a high pressure place every Tues and Friday and have never had a leak. Good luck
I do not have leaks either on my 2005 however if the trunk is opened either after or during a rainstorm the water that is sitting on the trunk runs right into the trunk. I have reported this to General Motors but unless they drastically change the design of the trunk, I'm not sure how it will be fixed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
window leak

I still have a water leak when I take me car to a touch less car wash.:crazy
Some of you have had this problem but most have not if I read the post right.

It leaks where the two pieces of rubber meet on the top of the window were the top bends and where it meets the windshield.
It also leaks water in at the hinge. I just got it back today from the shop and they did the latest recall for the lights and they installed new seals over the drivers and passengers doors. They did not replace the rubber seals that they meet up with. Just the one piece on each side.

Should I just give up and only hand wash this car or should I push it some more. They had the car for 10 day this time.:cry

Also now that I have it back I am now getting the "top not secure" from time to time and the rear view mirrors don't turn down when you put the car in reverse. I have had this light "top not secure" before and they have replaced different switch's in the past. But its back.:eek

I have put the top up and down a few times and reset the window program by holding the buttons down for 5 sec. then up for 5 sec.
I still get "top not secure" with the top up and driving down the road. It's there then after about a 1/2 mile it goes away. It does this very intermittently.

motorboat
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top