Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. As it starts to get warmer I've been thinking about a new car. I currently have an '03 Infiniti M45. Love Infiniti but this one has developed a harsh ride. So I'm thinking about a new car. Was in love with Mercedes until I saw a XLR on the road a couple of weeks ago and decided to rethink what I want. I've test drove a SL500, SL 55AMG (scared of that much horsepower), SLK and an XLR. To me the XLR handled better than the Mercedes. So now I'm torn. I see 2 XLR's near me 1 is a black on black $29K 42,000 miles w/o warranty, and another was a Tan on Tan $32K 25,000 with Warranty. I want me next car to be one that I keep forever and can pass down. I love it when I hear someone say they have a relatives car they were given. My neighbor has his dad's 1940 something Lincoln, and can remember whenthey delivered it. That's whatI'm looking for in my next car, plus something I can take the roof off of during the nice sunny days, and will become my daily driver. Any input is appreciated. My only concern about the XLR is that they will soon be no more, or is that a plus?

·
Registered
168 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.
You don't say what years the two XLR's are that you are checking out, But I would probably stay away from the '04's and '05's. The XLR first came out in '04 and they had a LOT of problems, radiator leaks, top issues, etc. GM correctly most of these issues in the '05's but there were still issues. That being said, between the two you are looking at, I would go with the one with the warranty and less miles. I had my top worked on in the past... the dealer found one sensor out and replaced it. The top worked a couple times then quit... the dealer then found a different sensor out and replaced it. Again, worked a couple times and quit. Each time a sensor is replaced, the top has to be reprogrammed to find the next problem. By the time they got the top issue taken care of the cost was about $1000. Owning a collision repair shop in Montana, I purchased mine wrecked with a salvage title, and am unable to purchase a Cadillac warranty for it, so everything I have done at the dealer is out of my pocket, but it's still worth having the car.
I have an '07 Infrared/Cashmere that I thoroughly LOVE. Driving it makes me feel like a rock star; it takes 1/2 hour whenever I fill gas or park it, because of the questions I get from people around. They are very rare, and the fact that they soon will be no more may be an issue in the coming years as far as repairs go. A good thing to do would be to make sure there is a Cadillac dealer in your area with an XLR certified tech, who should be the only tech at the dealer to ever touch the car for repairs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Buying an XLR

Good day,

I have a 2004 XLR NM and concur with the issues of the early XLR (which ran the full gambit) but having a qualified XLR Tech at the local dealer solved all of the problems. Now I am trouble free with no lingering issues. Cadillac was absolutely over the top in their support during the problem phase.

LWM

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would go for the one with the warranty so you can still get the GM extended warranty (Major Guard). Mine has been pretty much trouble free. Radiator leaks seems to be the most common issue with 04 and 05 models. covered under warranty. I have had no top issues and use the top a lot.

We sold on 05 repo for $27,250 at auction a few weeks ago the the prices you are seeing are inline. It had about 40,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone. As it starts to get warmer I've been thinking about a new car. I currently have an '03 Infiniti M45. Love Infiniti but this one has developed a harsh ride. So I'm thinking about a new car. Was in love with Mercedes until I saw a XLR on the road a couple of weeks ago and decided to rethink what I want. I've test drove a SL500, SL 55AMG (scared of that much horsepower), SLK and an XLR. To me the XLR handled better than the Mercedes. So now I'm torn. I see 2 XLR's near me 1 is a black on black $29K 42,000 miles w/o warranty, and another was a Tan on Tan $32K 25,000 with Warranty. I want me next car to be one that I keep forever and can pass down. I love it when I hear someone say they have a relatives car they were given. My neighbor has his dad's 1940 something Lincoln, and can remember whenthey delivered it. That's whatI'm looking for in my next car, plus something I can take the roof off of during the nice sunny days, and will become my daily driver. Any input is appreciated. My only concern about the XLR is that they will soon be no more, or is that a plus?
I have a showroom condition 2005 XLR with 32.6K mi. $25K email: [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts