Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

This is my first post. I have been a long time redaer (since getting my XLR last summer).... It is a Black 04 which I shipped back to Europe...

I haven't had much trouble so far (except for power steering fluid leeks). What has really bothered me is the internal noises (vibrations). I would say the main disappointment I have had so far is that the steering doesn't seem too stable when driving at around 180kph (110mph), Mercedes is much more reassuring at such speeds...

The other issue was finding the propel DVD for the Navigation system since it came with the original US DVD... After being told by deales that there was no DVD for Europe (what do they put in European XLRs then???) and contacting Cadillac Europe, I have finally been put in touch with a new Cadillac dealer who was able to order a copy of the European DVD... Can't wait to finally start 'navigating'...

I am currently thinking of getting the Corsa exhaust (spoke to salesperson about shipping to Europe +- 150 USD) and also looking to purchase new rims (I prefer 20s over 19s)

Anyway, I thought I said say hello to everybody.. I have found so much useful information on this website, great job...

One last comment: I don't recall reading about that on this forum, but do any of you think that the fake-looking grey aluminum trim on the center console looks really cheap?

Cheers :lurk
Mahme
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
mahme said:
Hi guys,

This is my first post. I have been a long time redaer (since getting my XLR last summer).... It is a Black 04 which I shipped back to Europe...

I haven't had much trouble so far (except for power steering fluid leeks). What has really bothered me is the internal noises (vibrations). I would say the main disappointment I have had so far is that the steering doesn't seem too stable when driving at around 180kph (110mph), Mercedes is much more reassuring at such speeds...

The other issue was finding the propel DVD for the Navigation system since it came with the original US DVD... After being told by deales that there was no DVD for Europe (what do they put in European XLRs then???) and contacting Cadillac Europe, I have finally been put in touch with a new Cadillac dealer who was able to order a copy of the European DVD... Can't wait to finally start 'navigating'...

I am currently thinking of getting the Corsa exhaust (spoke to salesperson about shipping to Europe +- 150 USD) and also looking to purchase new rims (I prefer 20s over 19s)

Anyway, I thought I said say hello to everybody.. I have found so much useful information on this website, great job...

One last comment: I don't recall reading about that on this forum, but do any of you think that the fake-looking grey aluminum trim on the center console looks really cheap?

Cheers :lurk
Mahme
Hi, and welcome

I´m a german and drive the export model with the european-nav-dvd. Works perfect!!!!!!
What I don`t understand the steering-feel you got because its working excellent at any speed. I use to drive my XLR up to 276 kph (HUD-display) because my analog speedo stops at 260. The steering is getting tighter and tighter the faster you go and that`s the way it should work.

Harry



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,142 Posts
mahme said:
One last comment: I don't recall reading about that on this forum, but do any of you think that the fake-looking grey aluminum trim on the center console looks really cheap?
I like that fake-looking grey aluminum trim on the center console!
it's the fake-looking grey grille that looks really cheap, IMO.
I finally painted mine to match the car, with some custom detail.

Welcome to the forum!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
I have no love for the metal center area surrounding the CD slot and temperature controls. I've been looking for a mathcing wood replacement and just noticed on some of the XLR-V pictures, they got it in wood, at least partially. I can only assume it will be available from the parts department eventually, but will it come in the original light wood or just in the dark wood I see in the v pics?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Just saw the XLRV @ the NYC Auto Show....

I just saw a "live" V at the New York Auto Show, yesterday, and the interior looked identical to my 04' (I was focusing more on the exterior tho, I admit).

At 7:00 PM, it was packed around the 2 XLR's--most crowded display at the show that wasn't a ride/give-away.

Only differences I noticed, were the mesh grills top and bottom of bumper (much nicer than our plasticky grey grills, and the 20" wheels).

Oh, don't let me forget that the lettering on the sides "XLRV SUPERCHARGED" was really cool to see.

from 20 paces you can NOT tell the difference between the 2 cars (both were near each other).

It looks really easy to fool people by buying the wheels/tires and the lettering! (Personally I'd never do that, but I'll bet some people will). :rolleyes

--Bob

PS, they wouldn't give out a price at the car show!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I too dislike the chain mail metal consol, steering wheel and LCD suround. Tasteful fake (if there is such a thing) wood would be my replacement.
 
G

·
Well, Dad........
If anyone buys the grills, wheels and the lettering, eventually they will have to step up to the plate at a light. That's when you seperate the class from the Wanna Bee's
I too dislike the trim in the console and the plastic grill, but then I only have about a year to wait for my V.
BTW...........they should have been 19" rims. That's what is coming standard on the V.
Did the grill look solid or cheap?


Dadonator said:
Only differences I noticed, were the mesh grills top and bottom of bumper (much nicer than our plasticky grey grills, and the 20" wheels).

It looks really easy to fool people by buying the wheels/tires and the lettering! (Personally I'd never do that, but I'll bet some people will). :rolleyes
--Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interior Trim and Front Gril

Thanks for the welcome!!!!

Harry, the DVD better work well, Opel ave me a quote on the DVD at over 900 Euros!!!!! (I have an extra US DVD by the way, if anyone is interested...)

Regarding the interior trim, I am not a big fan of wood trim, prefer carbon or aluminum, but then the door handle, steering and gear shift surround should match as well...

I also forgot to mention the front fril, but you guys sure took care of reminding me... It does look very plastiky and cheap compared to a merc... Did you paint it in chrome 1 XLR? How does it look? I was thinking od going for black... but I migth order the real chrome gril from Lund (has anyone installed it? does it look nice?)

Finally, I'm pretty sure the mesh gril on the XLR V should be the same as that on the CTS V, which I thought was pretty solid a nice... but painful to clean :)

Mahme
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Answerin Standby

The grills were a compromise between solid and flashy looking. Definitely nicer than the plastic nose we now have, but I guess I'm not a huge fan of chrome on high-tech--the grills were really shiny/sparkly.

Totally a matter of your taste (like everything).

Most cars at the show were open, but the XLR was locked, and the XLRV (with the top down) was on a round "fenced in" display (because the top was down?).

I couldn't get close enough to read the tire size in the spotlight lighting--I'm sure you are right, that they were 19 inchers.

If I recollect properly, they were 10 spoke "star" wheels, chromed like the grills, & not 7 spoke like the XLR.

Fender flares were identical to the base XLR.

As I've said before, with all of my criticisms, I WANT AN XLR-V anyway!!!

Was in CA very briefly last week the Ritz Carlton @ Half Moon Bay, and between the 3 Porches, Ferrari & numerous Caddilacs (no XLR's tho) in the entrance parking area was a Bently Turbo R.

Damn, what a powerful & sexy sound comes out of that monster when you start it up! :reddevil Seeing it last night at the Auto Show reminded me of the one in CA. I'm dedicated to buying American, but that Bentley is hotttt!

Whoa, my wife just handed me the 4-4 issue of Autoweek (always comes on Thursday) and the cover is the XLR-V! :thumbs

Regards,

--Dadonator
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Dadonator said:
I just saw a "live" V at the New York Auto Show, yesterday, and the interior looked identical to my 04' (I was focusing more on the exterior tho, I admit).

At 7:00 PM, it was packed around the 2 XLR's--most crowded display at the show that wasn't a ride/give-away.

Only differences I noticed, were the mesh grills top and bottom of bumper (much nicer than our plasticky grey grills, and the 20" wheels).

Oh, don't let me forget that the lettering on the sides "XLRV SUPERCHARGED" was really cool to see.

from 20 paces you can NOT tell the difference between the 2 cars (both were near each other).

It looks really easy to fool people by buying the wheels/tires and the lettering! (Personally I'd never do that, but I'll bet some people will). :rolleyes

--Bob

PS, they wouldn't give out a price at the car show!
By the way, I don't want to say "I told you so" but that XLR V you saw had 19" wheels, not 20's. This is the same maxium size that I ranted about in other links on this site. There is a reason why you don't want 20's
 
G

·
Yes Rick, you did rant, but I see no adverse effect with my Foose 20" rims on my 04. I turn my 04 inside out sometimes and it's glued to the road and very responsive. if I need to break or turn on a dime, it does it with gusto. Maybe things are happening underneath the car but I don't see it or feel it. I've only got 5,000 miles on it since last July so maybe nothing has showen up yet.
In other words...........I'm not saying your wrong.


rick1827 said:
By the way, I don't want to say "I told you so" but that XLR V you saw had 19" wheels, not 20's. This is the same maxium size that I ranted about in other links on this site. There is a reason why you don't want 20's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
standby said:
Yes Rick, you did rant, but I see no adverse effect with my Foose 20" rims on my 04. I turn my 04 inside out sometimes and it's glued to the road and very responsive. if I need to break or turn on a dime, it does it with gusto. Maybe things are happening underneath the car but I don't see it or feel it. I've only got 5,000 miles on it since last July so maybe nothing has showen up yet.
In other words...........I'm not saying your wrong.

Remember, part of the reason is saftey and ride quality. Fortunately, you have not had to test the safty part and hopefully you never will. But, a big part of the crash testing and design of the car and outcome of such a crash is dependant on how big and stiff the wheels are. It makes a big difference.
 
G

·
Yea your right, I just hope I don't have to test it and then have to eat crow.



rick1827 said:
Remember, part of the reason is saftey and ride quality. Fortunately, you have not had to test the safty part and hopefully you never will. But, a big part of the crash testing and design of the car and outcome of such a crash is dependant on how big and stiff the wheels are. It makes a big difference.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top