Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in December, I saw a thread here discussing the excessive (exhaust) heat in the center console. I had been planning to contact my dealer about this problem, when I discovered that topic here. The author of the thread said that Cadillac had a free fix for this problem which involves having heat shielding installed and would require a few days at the dealership.

I contacted my dealership (Casa de Cadillac) about this and they don't have a clue. They've supposedly contacted the appropriate people at Cadillac and could not get an answer.

Does anyone know about this problem and the solution to it?

By the way, have other XLR owners experienced this problem or even noticed it?

Bob

·
Banned
0 Posts
I'm one of those who noted the heat presence, Standby is the one who posted the fix installed by his dealer. Perhaps he will chime in with the details, or do a search on his name and the thread should pop up.

He's based in Orange County so his dealer shouldn't be too far away from you.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Heat Blanket

Interesting, I ask my dealer about the Heat blanket too (Crestview Cadillac) They called the Hot line and got the same answer. Sounds like another case of the Left hand doen't know what the right is doing.

In answer too your other question. Yes on a long trip though the Desert (approx 800 mile I noticed the center console got warm. Not to the degree that other folks have said in this forum. But enough so that I would like something done about it(the trip was southern California to southern New Mexico the last week in July)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Great. Casa de Cadillac is my dealer and I was going to bring in my car for the first time for all the things mentioned in the forum. I have a list, albeit incomplete. I can choose the dealer, but Casa de Cadillac seemed to be on top of these things so I'm going to have to rethink this. Anyone have experience with the Caddy service departments at in Northridge or Thousand Oaks, the only other two that are remotely convenient?

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
What color is Your XLR and where you (About a month ago around noon) on Alameda Ave, Across from the NBC Studio's. If so I saw your XLR look GREAT.

·
Registered
535 Posts
We have the Neiman Marcus Ultra Violet. I live in Northridge, work in Woodland Hills and am pretty sure you saw someone else. We just don't drive the car that often, especially since we recently moved and tend to drive our Navigator while we slowly move the remaining odds and ends left at the old house to the new one. Not much room in the XLR for boxes...

But today was soooooooo nice (80s), had to take it today. Hmmm, I hope that suntan lotion is still in the center compartment.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've noticed excess heat also. Key in the center storage area get quite hot, and it seems the the trunk is warmer than any other trunk on my cars. I'm going to call my dealer in Thousand Oaks to inquire on the heat shield.

G

·
Well. it seems that I've stirred up a nest of bees with my earlier post about the heat build up in the console, and as one of you guys mentioned, also the trunk area is very hot.

Contact Allen Cadillac, Laguna Niguel, CA 949-582-5250. Ask for owner, Scott Allen or service advisor Steve Blacker. These people are aware of the fix and how to get it. They where sent a pre-formed space age type material, similar to a pad with Reynolds wrap on one side, and this folded perfectly over the console area. (Made to fit by Cadillac) Unfortunately, It didn’t seem to cover the drink holders, so the XLR mechanic bought some extra and put it under the cup holders. It only takes a day to install but to my chagrin, did not do what I expected it to do. Those exhaust pipes put off a lot of heat and you can all expect more when we get the Supercharge version, unless they let the monster breath with some 3” exhaust. I’m not looking forward to this heat problem this summer.
Buy a heat gun. It’s basically a laser that directs a beam at a particular spot and gives you a reading. Last summer, I obtained a reading of 130 degrees between the seat and console after coming down off a mountain in a lower gear. (Build up effect) On the desert floor it was 122 degrees and quite hot outside. If I were asked how to fix this problem, I would suggest a direct flow of A/C inside the tunnel. After all, we probably already have the A/C on, so lets cool the drink holders and in the winter, lets keep our coffee warmer. Nothing else is going to make this go away, unless someone has another thought on the subject.
I would also suggest not wasting your time on this non-fix. When I get this baby hot again, I will post a new reading, since having it almost, but not quite fixed
Bob:rant

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Standby. I gave this info to my service advisor, because they have no clue. Hopefully they will be able to take care of this now.

G

·
As I said before, don't expect to much from the fix. This stuff should be twice as thick in order to work properly. I've put a bug in the service managers ear to get in touch with Cadillac and suggest a vent at the front of the console to force either hot or cold air through that console. What the hell, we have forced air in our seats, why not the console.
Glad I could help
Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't even notice the trunk until you mentioned it. But I checked for that yesterday and sure enough...

You would think Cad would have discovered this problem during development.

G

·
maverick,
I was told by a good source they where aware of the heat and just chose to ignore it and hope we would too. I guess they thought they could take a little flack. My source also told me they have been working on this problem for a few years. They are thinking of taking two of the 6 intakes for the radiator and directing two of them past the engine to that area to blow out the heat build up. Can you see my toes and fingers crossed for the V?

·
Banned
0 Posts
Heat build up of this type (puddling against the trunk floor) has been around for many years and poses no real problem other than effecting your comfort level. It's difficult to run engines at the temps. required to meet emmisions standards without producing tons of heat.

You want heat, try one of the older Vipers, between the exhaust pipes radiating heat from the door sills to the light-weight firewall that lets it in, mine was much worse than the XLR.

Once they supercharge the XLR-V, it will produce even more heat, despite an inner-cooler.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Heat Shield

Maverick said:
Back in December, I saw a thread here discussing the excessive (exhaust) heat in the center console. I had been planning to contact my dealer about this problem, when I discovered that topic here. The author of the thread said that Cadillac had a free fix for this problem which involves having heat shielding installed and would require a few days at the dealership.

I contacted my dealership (Casa de Cadillac) about this and they don't have a clue. They've supposedly contacted the appropriate people at Cadillac and could not get an answer.

Does anyone know about this problem and the solution to it?

By the way, have other XLR owners experienced this problem or even noticed it?

Bob
I asked my dealer (Symes Pasadena) to look into this for me. They reported back that their rep. from Cadillac tells them that the one installed that we read about here was a prototype and did not solve the problem. Cadillac is reportedly very aware of the problem and is working on a solution

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just took my XLR to Thousand Oaks to have a Service Ride Control problem looked at. I mentioned the heat issue and that I beleive there's a fix for it, but if it really doesn't do much, I don't want them tearing into my council.

By the way... I had a blown out real drivers side shock.

I've been more than please with the service levels I've received at T.O. I will keep you posted on their knowledge of the heat problem.

G

·
Hey guys, I'm the one that had the fix in Orange County, CA. and they are quite right in telling you that it didn't stop the heat build up. The item was formed aluminum on one side of a felt pad that fit inside the console. Took one day and someone put a long scratch on the lid of the console, so I had to have that replaced. NOT WORTH THE TIME!
They claim it's not the exhaust and that the hot air from the engine is getting trapped in that area. Only way to fix this is to have ducts coming in up front to blow that hot air out from under the car, so they say. Maybe we will see a change in the 2006
Standby

Rainey said:
Just took my XLR to Thousand Oaks to have a Service Ride Control problem looked at. I mentioned the heat issue and that I beleive there's a fix for it, but if it really doesn't do much, I don't want them tearing into my council.

By the way... I had a blown out real drivers side shock.

I've been more than please with the service levels I've received at T.O. I will keep you posted on their knowledge of the heat problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts