Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I visited my local Discount Tire store today because I am getting close to replacing at least the rear tires on my "V". I was surprised to learn that Pirelli and other big names aren't making Run Flats any more.

So now I am going through the process of deciding which brand I will use to replace the OEM Shoes before I need to.

My final selection may be the Nitto Invos. I will need to buy a pump and run flat can just in case as a recent member did.

This may be a great topic for us all to discuss since sooner or later we all will need some new rubber "V" or not.

Would you like me to set up a Poll on this subject??

Thoughts?

Jerry

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've replace the tires both on my 06 XLR-V, and my 05 Corvette with regular tires. Like you said I just bought a pump, flat repair kit, and a small scissor jack for them. On the V i went with BFG G-Force tires, on the Vette I went with the Hankooks.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've replace the tires both on my 06 XLR-V, and my 05 Corvette with regular tires. Like you said I just bought a pump, flat repair kit, and a small scissor jack for them. On the V i went with BFG G-Force tires, on the Vette I went with the Hankooks.
Thanks for your input.

I am in the assessment phase and am also currently arm wrestling with Pirelli, Michelin and Cadillac.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
141 Posts
So we each purchased a DOT approved vehicle (XLR/Vette) with a factory design that did not include provision for a spare tire. Tire vendors are not providing any 'factory approved tires' at this time. Is it MY responsibility to procure/demand the correct tires for the vehicle be available, or does that burden lie with the vehicle/tire manufacturer ? If GM continues to sell Corvettes knowing that "no new/replacement tires are available', are they comitting fraud ? Should the DOT require GM to 'procure a source for tires', can we afford those 'forced production products' ? I ask all these questions because I drive my XLR between Arizona and California on a monthly basis. Each trip is (aprox) 650 miles round trip. I'm driving across the desert with very few LEOs passing by per hour, and little phone/OnStar service. "Can this car be the great touring car that it is with this large cloud of tire service problems, hovering over it ?" "Have GM and the tire makers just KILLED the value of all our cars and the Vettes at the same time ?" "I am sick about this news".

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE FROM PIRELLI ( Please Read in reverse order)

"We got your "6" is not in Pirelli's vocabulary!!

Yes Sir,

1. 2010 for both
2. No
3. No

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Pirelli Tire North America
Consumer Affairs

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:20 PM
To: PTNA - Consumer Affairs, US
Subject: Re: Cadillac XLR-V Discontinued ZR Tires

Very disappointing---for me and many, many other XLR-V owners in the same delimma.

A couple of questions;

1. Can you tell me when these tires ceased production?

2. Do you have any way to determine if there are any in any of your warehouses?

3. Is there a way to determine if any of your distributers have any remaining stock?

Thanks

On May 10, 2012, at 5:01 PM, "PTNA - Consumer Affairs, US" <[email protected]> wrote:

We currently do not have a recommendation for an OE replacement tire. The only tire in that particular size with a comparable load index and speed rating would be the Pzero Rosso which is a ultra high performance tire.

Consumer Affairs

Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 2:58 PM

I am obviously well aware that you discontinued the tires Please reread my initial email.

I want to know what alternatives are available from Pirelli !

Thanks.

On May 10, 2012, at 2:43 PM, "PTNA - Consumer Affairs, US" <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear sir,
There are a few of the [email protected] run flat tires remaining in the 235/45R19, but the rear in size 255/40R19 has been discontinued.

Consumer Affairs

Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:24 PM

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PROMPT RESPONSE.

THE TIRES FOR THE XLR-V THAT I AM INTERESTED IN ARE THE OEM TIRES.

Pirelli Extended Mobility Run Flat
W-Rated

Front: 235/45-19
Rear: 255/40-19

FWIW: I have about 23k on the original set.
The rears could go another 1k miles and the fronts 2-3k

Thanks very much.

On May 10, 2012, at 10:14 AM, "PTNA - Consumer Affairs, US" <[email protected]> wrote:

We thank you for your recent inquiry. If you could please provide the tire size in question and the model we can be of more assistance.

Consumer Affairs

Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 9:05 PM
Subject: Cadillac XLR-V Discontinued ZR Tires

============================================================

Subject: Cadillac XLR-V Discontinued ZR Tires

MY CAR CAME EQUIPPED OEM WITH YOUR TIRES.

NOW THAT I AM IN NEED OF REPLACEMENTS YOU DON'T OFFER ANY.

FURTHER, I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE LARGEST CADILLAC XLR AND XLR-V SITE ON THE INTERNET WITH OVER 6,100 MEMBERS.

I AM FINDING THAT A GROWING NUMBER OF THESE MEMBERS ARE BEING PLACED IN THE SAME POSITION WITH NO REPLACEMENT TIRES.

I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE YOU ADVISING ME AS TO WHAT CAN BE DONE TO ALLEVIATE THIS ISSUE.

THANKS VERY MUCH.

FWIW MICHELIN DISCONTINUED THEIR ZR TIRES AS WELL.

THE CADILLAC XLR WAS MANUFACTURED FROM
2004-2009 AND THE XLR-V WAS MANUFACTURED FROM 2006-2009.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CADILLAC CUSTOMER SUPPORT

I have also Contacted Cadillac Customer Service AND Cadillac's customer complaint center to formally register my/our concerns. They are actively working on it as we speak..

The center piece of my complaint is that cadillac should produce a formal service bullitin advising customers and dealers of the nonavailability of these tires AND providing a Cadillac recomendation as to what replacements should be used.

My contention for us owners is that these cars were designed to use the OEM Tires provided and since they are no longer available Cadillac should do the work to come up with the best solution and sources.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MICHELIN WEB SITE INFORMATION

Original Equipment Vehicle Tire Size:
Front: P235/45R19 95W
Rear: P255/40R19 96W
Recommended Tire Pressure, PSI:
Front: 30 Rear: 30

Your Tire Search Results
PLEASE NOTE
We're sorry; our brands do not currently manufacture tires fitting this vehicle's specifications.

Click here to contact us with any questions.
The sizes and/or speed ratings listed may vary slightly from the specified OE size shown on the vehicle placard. Your local Tire Dealer, as a trained professional, will provide the required assistance to install the tire listed by: 1. Notifying the owner if the replacement tires are different in speed rating than the OE tires and the maximum speed capability of the vehicle is limited to the lower speed rated tires. 2. Determine if any inflation pressure adjustments are necessary with the alternate listed size.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
As a vehicle manufacturer, GM really has no obligation whatsoever to deal with our tire issues. They do however have more mass to lean on the tire vendors if they want to back up their customers. What this really comes down to is a tire vendor issue.

So the real question is, why aren't they making them anymore?

CC

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CC:

I think the rears on the "V"'s are an odd size and other than the XLR-V no other car uses them. Also the 19" wheel height is becoming scarce.

Did you happen to notice Pirelli's response regarding when they stopped production? That means any tires in stock at retailers are going on 2 years old.

I agree with your thinking about Cadillac so I'm attempting to influence their "extensive leverage".

Regards

Jerry

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Replacement tires

After reading the posts about tires I wandered off to look at other subjects but had to return and ask: does this apply to my 08 XLR also? Or is this just a "V" issue (so far). :confused

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE:

i just got back from my dealer and discussed this tire issue with the Owner, General Manager and the Service Managers. They have all offered to help and are going to contact Cadillac as well.

I also found out an interesting piece of trivia while I was there.

It seems that the STS-V runs the same wheels as the "V".
The rears are 8" wide 19" tall and ended up with 275 wide tires in the rear as opposed to the 255's the XLR-V runs.

The fronts are 8" wide but 18" tall.

It seems that the STS-V ran into the same issue regarding run flats and ended up with a Pirelli "Air" solution.

ADDENDUM: After contacting a multitude of tire retailers over the last week, all of which were out of stock when I was ready to order, I went with my dealer and ordered one of the last known (pricey) but complete OEM sets available.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I visited my local Discount Tire store today because I am getting close to replacing at least the rear tires on my "V". I was surprised to learn that Pirelli and other big names aren't making Run Flats any more.

So now I am going through the process of deciding which brand I will use to replace the OEM Shoes before I need to.

My final selection may be the Nitto Invos. I will need to buy a pump and run flat can just in case as a recent member did.

This may be a great topic for us all to discuss since sooner or later we all will need some new rubber "V" or not.

Would you like me to set up a Poll on this subject??

Thoughts?

Jerry

Hello, I spent much time trying to find the factory tire that came on the xlr-v. I found the tire somewhere, or I was told? The tires used were Firestone Indy 500's. I like the rim that came on the car, but had a black car and the lg. silver colored rim took too much out of the line of the car. I had the rims powder coated black and it came out beautiful. Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts