Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,
Had Some Very Cold Weather In Georgia This Past Week And My Battery Seems To Have Suffered. Got My Trunk Open Only To Find Out The Cable To Open The Drivers Door Is Missing. The One To Open Gas Is There But That's The Only One. Is There Any Way It Could Have Fell Behind The Covering In The Trunk And If So How Do I Go About Taking This Out With Out Destroying It

· Registered
246 Posts
Ouch thats going to be a tough one. Might inspire all to check that theirs works before they need it. I imagine its behind the carpet as its pretty well secured. Taking the carpet out can be a pain. Ill look at one with it out and see where it would fall so you maybe able to fish it out.

· Registered
2 Posts
Ouch thats going to be a tough one. Might inspire all to check that theirs works before they need it. I imagine its behind the carpet as its pretty well secured. Taking the carpet out can be a pain. Ill look at one with it out and see where it would fall so you maybe able to fish it out.
You wont find it because it isn't there. All there is, is an emergency door opener leaver next to the seat on the floor. Pull up on it to exit. The window will not come down as normal, so don't try to close the door or you'll be sorry.

· Registered
246 Posts
Sorry but that is incorrect. Inside the trunk is an emergengy gas door cable and a manual pull cable to open the door. With a dead battery, the only way to open the door is a key in the rear bumper , open the trunk, pull the door release then you can open the hood to charge the battery.

· Registered
11 Posts
Sorry but that is incorrect. Inside the trunk is an emergengy gas door cable and a manual pull cable to open the door. With a dead battery, the only way to open the door is a key in the rear bumper , open the trunk, pull the door release then you can open the hood to charge the battery.
Bion is right. I have been there and done that with the dead battery. The trunk can be pretty heavy to lift without the hydrolics working. I also think my trunk struts were probably weak at that time as I had to replace them later on when the trunk wouldn't stay up once it reached the top. New struts fixed that.

· Registered
6 Posts
Good Morning,
Had Some Very Cold Weather In Georgia This Past Week And My Battery Seems To Have Suffered. Got My Trunk Open Only To Find Out The Cable To Open The Drivers Door Is Missing. The One To Open Gas Is There But That's The Only One. Is There Any Way It Could Have Fell Behind The Covering In The Trunk And If So How Do I Go About Taking This Out With Out Destroying It
Read the users manual. On my 08, as I suspect yours, and I expect every other XLR there is only one wire which is for gas. Unlock the car with the FOB key in the key slot inside the square on the driver side bumper. Try unlocking and raising the trunk lid. Open the drivers side door and start your car as usual. Remove the key from the rear bumper before you drive off. The levers along the driver and passenger seat are for opening the doors manually from the inside. There is a short hinged lever on the forward top of the longer lever. Pull the short hinges lever up and the door will easily open. Practice using the lever a couple of times. It's not just a single lever you intuitively pull straight up.You have to pull the short hinged level. I use my index finger. There are many XLR videos on YouTube the cover most everything. Free .PDF owners manual can be found with your favorite internet search engine. Tap your way to XLR knowledge and ye shall happily learn.

· Registered
26 Posts
Sorry enjuneer, maybe your '08 car operators manual says that but my '07 says:

page 74.
If you are inside the vehicle, use the door release handle located on the floor next to each seat. Pull the handle up to unlock and unlatch the door.
If power to the vehicle or the keyless access transmitter is lost, there are two ways to open the door.
If you are outside the vehicle, there is a door release tab in the trunk. The tab is located behind a panel on the driver’s side of the trunk. Pull
the handle to unlock and unlatch the driver’s door. See Trunk on page 77 for information on opening the trunk during a loss of power.

I bet the '04 -'06 manuals say the same. Yep page 2-15 in the '05 manual and 2-10 in the '06 manual
Rectangle Font Parallel Line art Diagram

· Registered
16 Posts

page 74.
If you are inside the vehicle, use the door release handle located on the floor next to each seat. Pull the handle up to unlock and unlatch the door.
If power to the vehicle or the keyless access transmitter is lost, there are two ways to open the door.
If you are outside the vehicle, there is a door release tab in the trunk. The tab is located behind a panel on the driver’s side of the trunk. Pull
the handle to unlock and unlatch the driver’s door. See Trunk on page 77 for information on opening the trunk during a loss of power.

I bet the '04 -'06 manuals say the same. Yep page 2-15 in the '05 manual and 2-10 in the '06 manual
View attachment 985

page 74.

View attachment 985
My 2004 has a pull cord in the truck. It is located on the drivers side just above the light, there is an "O" type ring, pull out on that and it opens to a small compartment and the pull cord for the drivers door is in there. When you pull the cord there is no noise but if pull on the door it should open. John

· Registered
246 Posts
All xlrs are equipped with an emergency door release in the trunk. As far as a longer and shorter? Release by the seat? I have an 08 and there is only one emergency door release handle down next to the seat On mine. I would love to see your two releases. Never seen that before. If the short one opens the door what does the longer one do?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts