Cadillac XLR Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
jacqueshar:

I don't agree with XLR Player. But so what.

I suggest you take it back to the dealer and have them change the fluids again ASSUMING you have some more liles on it. PLEASE be sure that they added the Positraction Fluid I indicated in my post. It should show on your ticket.

IF NOT that's your problem. XLR Player would be right in this case since the positraction plates will stick without the additive. They can work the stuff in for you. BUT I wuld leave the problem with them.

GOOD LUCK!!!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Standy: I have a new solution to the HOT CONSOLE.

I am planning on running the car for an hour or so and then pulling into the dealer and asking the technicial to go for a ride with me. While we are moving I am going to have him hold his hand on the shifter shaft and in the drink compartment to see how long it take him to pull it out. HA, HA, HA. My guess is that it won't be very long.

REGARDS.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
34 Posts
XLR I FL said:
jacqueshar:

I don't agree with XLR Player. But so what.

I suggest you take it back to the dealer and have them change the fluids again ASSUMING you have some more liles on it. PLEASE be sure that they added the Positraction Fluid I indicated in my post. It should show on your ticket.

IF NOT that's your problem. XLR Player would be right in this case since the positraction plates will stick without the additive. They can work the stuff in for you. BUT I wuld leave the problem with them.

GOOD LUCK!!!
ALL ADDATIVES where added as you indicated on your post. Exact no's etc. I give it few more days before taking it back to the Dealer.
Thanks.

G

·
Great Idea

Well that's a great idea, except for the price of gas for running the car for an hour. Actually I have a better idea. Talked to the general manager today and notified him that I would like them to proceed with Lemoning my car and if they don't I will be in touch with a lawyer by Thursday. I know this isn't a popular decision, especially for thosw who haven't anything wrong with their cars, but I have to take the bull by the horns for all the owners that have not been treated very fairly by GM.

XLR I FL said:
Standy: I have a new solution to the HOT CONSOLE. REGARDS.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Standby,

I drove a $600,000 prototype XLR in early 2003 during a "consumer research" thing. I was one of the last to drive the car, which was being driven all day for this thing. I did not notice any heat then and notice very little heat in my 2004 NM XLR. There were about six of these prototypes (correct me if I'm wrong) and many of them were driven hard coast to coast before release of the 2004 cars.

My point is that they did test (refering to your post in the general category in the thread about the supposed lost leg) the car under quite a few conditions.

I acknowledge the problem but apart from the people here who have mentioned it, it has not been a major problem. Nevertheless, when GM creates a fix, I will want one!

·
Banned
0 Posts
I'm not sure of the language surrounding other states Lemon Laws, however in California your issue must be one that is expressly covered under the warranty and must be an issue that substantially limts the vehicles use, value or safety.

My issue with the XLR was easily handled under both the safety and limited use provisions, since it injured both occupants when the window shattered and the dealership had failed to solve the problem after three attempts.

The center console heat is an entirely different issue. I don't remember seeing anything in the warranty covering the fact you are guaranteed an ambient temperature cupholder. This issue was discussed sometime back (http://www.xlrforum.com/showthread.php?t=592&highlight=console+heat) and at that time results were as mixed as they are now. All of the cars are built the same so I'm not sure how this issue can be mitigated through the Lemon Law.

It will be interesting to subscribe to this thread and others to see if anyone is sucessful in getting GM to buy back their car due to console heat.

Over the years I've owned lots of cars, my Viper GTS would burn you if you were not carefull getting in and out on a hot day, or any day for that matter. Both Corvettes I've owned had center console and trunk heat issues, but not to any real extreme.

Bottom line is the console heat is not something that is a warranty issue since it's not broken. It may be a design issue but it is present in every car to a certain degree (no pun intended) and has not proven to have any significant impact on the cars value nor has it limited its use for anyone here.

G

·
Q,

I appreciate your input, but the fact remains that some have problems and some don't and there seems to be a lot more have the problem.
What time of year was this test done. If it wasn't to hot or in the summer, maybe that's the catalyist. Was there a post about a lost leg? I thought it was a burnt leg and a credit card that melted in the cup holder, which I wouldn't doubt one bit. That particular post will be BIG evidence in my case to Lemon this vehicle.
Had you been one of the drivers that drove my 04 back east you might be a little more sympathetic to my woes.
Thanks for the post. I will keep everyone advised as to what happens with this problem.
Bob

Quixotic said:
Standby,I acknowledge the problem but apart from the people here who have mentioned it, it has not been a major problem. Nevertheless, when GM creates a fix, I will want one!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I literally complained for months about the "grinding" noise in the rear end to no avail, when I showed my dealer your correspondence he bluntly told me he doubted that would bring resolve to my problem. You were correct, they were wrong! Thanks again!

·
Registered
54 Posts
This thread has evolved into a mish-mash of issues, thinly,if at all, related.

HOWEVER, I must report that the changing of the differential fluid with the correct additive package for positraction, cured the grinding crackling noise when going into reverse when cold. Dealer knew exactly what I was talking about.

·
Banned
161 Posts
XLR I FL said:
12-10-2004, 04:04 PM #1
XLR I FL
XLR Pit Crew

Rear End Noise (fyi)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had been experiencing a noise from my rear end when I was turning (similiar to the plates in a positraction unit sticking) I mentioned this when I went into my dealer yesterday to get an oil change.

They called the factory and were appraised that there was a "new fix" for this condition. It seems that they use;
-- Positraction Additive GM PART # 1052358 (used in other GM models).
-- GM Synthetic Differential Fluid GM PART #89021669.

I have run the car some and it seems to have quieted down some and I expect it to go away after the new fluid and additive get to all of the rear end parts.

I'll let you know what happens over the next few weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by XLR I FL : 12-12-2004 at 05:02 PM.
Is anyone aware of an actual service bulletin for this fix? We've searched GM Tech Link http://www.gmtechlink.com/images/issues/archive.html and haven't been able to find anything related to it.

Why are we asking? Because we now have the rearend noise when first backing up after the car has been sitting overnight (2005 XLR with 1400 miles) and would like a GM / Cadillac reference if there is one to show the dealer.

Thanks for any help the forum readers may be able to provide.

Best regards,
Ed and Sandra

·
Registered
64 Posts
My 2005 with 5,000 miles is now having the same "grinding/slipping" problem when backing out of the garage in the morning. Sure hope there is a Service Bulletin or Service Advisory on this problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thank you for Reply about the old problem. Was taking care of . But after a week the same problem occurred.

But it is better then it was.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This isn't an XLR issue, it's common to ALL positraction type differentials. Any mechanic worth his (her) salt will know about the proper lubricant.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I brought mine back to the dealer 2 weeks ago and they said the put the additives in there. My grinding comes from making a left turn. The noise sounds like something is grinding. It comes from my right rear tire. The noise is worse when I turn left into a dip. It seems like the dip causes more noise

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have the dealer drain out thd oil wash with a cleaner and but new possy gtease and GM additive anf I will bet money it will go away. I have done with several GM products over te years. Just adding is not enought. Tapjet

·
Registered
370 Posts
3 months

They worked on mine 3 months ago, supposedly changed the fluid and added the proper additive.

When our tempurature started south a couple of week ago, the grinding is now back.

Guess I'll have to put up with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is a simple fix if your dealership has qualified people who know what to do. Of course most don't and I know this from going to Dealership's in Austin, Tx and San Antonio Tx and Tucson AZ and then finally in San Diego, where they all changed the fluid and added the additive and within a day to a week it was back in every case. Every dealership said the same thing. We will look at and they all said the same answer. It is just the fluid. Then I met the test engineer from the cadillac roadside team who took me to De La Fuente Cadillac, El Cajon, Ca (A suburb of San Diego) (619) 440-2400. Ask for Jeff the XLR tech and test engineer. He literally told me that all he needed to do was change to a different fluid (Non synthetic and no additive :party ) and it would be perfectly quiet. He was right. Everyone else was full of BS. It has been 10,000 miles since he fixed it and it is perfect.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts