Cadillac XLR Forum banner

GoodBye XLR

25K views 55 replies 21 participants last post by  popbigguy 
#1 ·
Well sad to say but the wife and I are giving up the XLR.
Again today they said it was fixed and told us to come and get it.
Wife goes to get in the car and it will not start. They end up replacing the battery.
She drives away and gets a couple blocks up the road and service traction light came on.
She takes it back and was in tears. The car is beautiful we love everything about it, but with all this BS, we are better off getting rid of it.
Sucks to make payments on something you can't enjoy.

Real sad thing is they only have an Black 05 but the paint looks like crap on it, swirls and lovebug stains.

So I will get something else.

Maybe I will be back, hopefully I will be back.

#3 ·
Thanks Floyd
We will get another Caddy just not sure what one yet.
Not sure if you have been up to Coastal in awhile but the Black one they have is really bad.

We were looking forward to BG, now we will have to go to Vegas:thumbs

Sad part about the whole thing with the XLR is that my son was to get it for his graduation present in 2 years. We will get something nice for him.

I am still searching for an XLR, there has to be some out there.

#6 ·
Hi Joe,
If you really want another....ask your dealer to use the GM locator system (new) if you want used (06-07) ask him to check availability on GMAC auction. Otherwise check out Ebay....there are always some there. Hate to lose you to one bad apple.:banghead Also you can contact GM and ask for consideration regarding a buy back. PM me if you need more info. Best of luck.:cheers

Regards,

Elfred

#4 ·
Tell you what, you know the pawn shop on County Line Rd.?

Debbie, the owner took over my lease a couple of weeks ago--beautiful black XLR,
16,000+ miles--great car! She didn't know whether she would keep it or not when the lease expires 10/10. She wanted to see if she liked the car and if she did (of course she'll like it!!!) she would then buy a new one. You might want to talk to her about maybe following her to Coastal and driving off in it. She's a clean nut--has it detailed every week. So it should still be pretty nice in October.

Might be worth checking out if she doesn't decide to keep her!

Good luck (especially if you go to Vegas),
Floyd

#7 ·
problem w/ xlr

David, you should contact the dealer (massey in Orlando) they have 3 dealerships and could locate one for you right away. They probably have several in stock. If interested, ask for Alex. 407-299-6161. He's an expert on the XLR and sells more than anyone. Plus, their service dept is excellent. I have an 06 and the few things I experienced, were handled very professionally the first time. By the way, were you signed up for going to B/G next month? Bill (ocool)

G
#8 ·
David, This story hit me in the chest really hard. To lose someone from our convoy to BG is not good. It's like leaving someone behind.
I used our lemon law in California on a bad 04 and now drive a 06-V and absolutely love it.
While I was doing the lemon law thing, I bought the V with cash from my equity line for my house and when GM finally sent me the check, it was enough to pay the equity line off in full...........It might be a way to go.
Ya got one month to fill the void. go for it.
Bob

Well sad to say but the wife and I are giving up the XLR.
Again today they said it was fixed and told us to come and get it.
Wife goes to get in the car and it will not start. They end up replacing the battery.
She drives away and gets a couple blocks up the road and service traction light came on.
She takes it back and was in tears. The car is beautiful we love everything about it, but with all this BS, we are better off getting rid of it.
Sucks to make payments on something you can't enjoy.

Real sad thing is they only have an Black 05 but the paint looks like crap on it, swirls and lovebug stains.

So I will get something else.

Maybe I will be back, hopefully I will be back.

#9 ·
Some great things said here, I will address a few.

Can't start a buy back since we bought it used, Florida Lemon law only covers new.

We are looking still for another used one 05 or 06, I've been checking all over and saw that Massey had a few.

We have our dealership looking for one, so hopefully when I go in today they will have something for us.
They have been super great through the whole thing. We are sticking with them so we don't lose our butt on the car we got it in March and I just made the 4th payment.

I will let you know what happens after today.

Thanks
Joe

#10 ·
FWIW: There is a newly traded black 2004 XLR with under 4k miles on it at Claude Nolan Caddy Jacksonville. It was owned by the owners aunt and she just (yesterday) picked up a 2007 silver one.

My guess is that it will go in the $46-48k range and will be Cadillac Certified.

I STRONGLY recommend this dealer based on my experiences with them!!

THEY ALSO HAVE A GREAT XLR SERVICE TEAM. So before you give up you MAY want to schedule a trip.

Regards

#12 · (Edited)
Hans:

YEA We're all in this together!!!

I was over at my dealer trying to convince him to pay for the XLR-V driving School. When the car showed up.

My argument is how will I know if I want to buy a "V" if I don't drive it first. (Kinda like getting a wife HUH?? Ha, Ha)

HEY, I wonder if GM will let standby (Bob) try the school. He's an expert in controlling the "V" when the traction control goes out!! This time it will be their car!!!!

G
#13 ·
http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS You are to funny, I could use round track training, since most of my experience has been on the drag strip and light to light.
See ya, wouldn't want to be ya.
Bob

Hans:

YEA We're all in this together!!!

I was over at my dealer trying to convince him to pay for the XLR-V driving School. When the car should up.

My arguement is how will I know if I want to buy a "V" if I don't drive it first. (Kinda like getting a wife HUH?? Ha, Ha)

HEY, I wonder if GM will let standby (Bob) try the school. He's an expert in controlling the "V" when the traction control goes out!! This time it will bwe their car!!!!

#16 ·
Well I brought the XLR home.
What they found yesterday was that the brake light switch shorted out and caused the computer to think that the brakes were messed up and the traction light came on.

She drove fine but now I noticed there is a clunking noise when you press down on the accelerator.

I got to tell you those guys are great at Coastal, the only problem is we got such a good deal on the car that everything else seems expensive.

We paid $46K out the door, so when we are looking and they say more money we kind of get frustrated.

They did find a brand new 06 but they wanted 07 prices.
They also found a 07 but wanted 25K more.
I would really like another 05 or 06.

Thanks Again Everyone

#17 ·
BEFORE you take a sizable "hit" take it to another dealer here Florida to be repaired. I am sure the issues can be worked through and then you will have an excellent car!!!

Call the GM Caddy Rep and see what he wants to do. The car is under warranty and they will give you a loaner so go for it!!!

Regards

G
#19 ·
That's even better advise than mine:iagree
BEFORE you take a sizable "hit" take it to another dealer here Florida to be repaired. I am sure the issues can be worked through and then you will have an excellent car!!!

Call the GM Caddy Rep and see what he wants to do. The car is under warranty and they will give you a loaner so go for it!!!

Regards

#21 ·
XLR problems

2seater, I recently put down 41K for a 18k mi 04 went to pick it up and the rear left trunk cannister where the pump is was full of water. This car was also a GM buy back 2 yrs ago. But I saw the printout sheets and all the claimed problems were never found? Anyway it originally had tons of problems. I told the dealer the deal was off., By the way this was a Buick dealer and this was his wifes car. They sent it to the local cadie dealer who went over the entire car. The dealer came back with a 40K offer and a 4 yr extended GMPP plus the full factory warranty till 4 08 or he'd take the car back and return all my money. I bought the car anyway and drove it 2 k mi in 4 weeks. best fun car i have ever had and iv had over 70 cars!
The point is all of the factory problems are slowly going away. Next, you KNOW this car so why start with another cars problems. The reason most of the electrics go bad is theses cars are not driven enough. ! I am the Nat'l pres of the Rolls Royce Foundation and we make ALL the drivers at shows drive there show cars 100 mi before we let them on the field. We dont need trailer or garage queens!
My advice is keep it at the dealer and have the tech drive the car everyday say a week and work out the remaining bugs. Better to know the devel then not! BTW we WILL be driving to BG to have a fun time with all you great people!
Jim Facinelli Pres RRF PS thses forum are great. Im making a file of all the car info on here!

#28 ·
2seater, I recently put down 41K for a 18k mi 04 went to pick it up and the rear left trunk cannister where the pump is was full of water. This car was also a GM buy back 2 yrs ago. But I saw the printout sheets and all the claimed problems were never found? Anyway it originally had tons of problems. I told the dealer the deal was off., By the way this was a Buick dealer and this was his wifes car. They sent it to the local cadie dealer who went over the entire car. The dealer came back with a 40K offer and a 4 yr extended GMPP plus the full factory warranty till 4 08 or he'd take the car back and return all my money. I bought the car anyway and drove it 2 k mi in 4 weeks. best fun car i have ever had and iv had over 70 cars!
The point is all of the factory problems are slowly going away. Next, you KNOW this car so why start with another cars problems. The reason most of the electrics go bad is theses cars are not driven enough. ! I am the Nat'l pres of the Rolls Royce Foundation and we make ALL the drivers at shows drive there show cars 100 mi before we let them on the field. We dont need trailer or garage queens!
My advice is keep it at the dealer and have the tech drive the car everyday say a week and work out the remaining bugs. Better to know the devel then not! BTW we WILL be driving to BG to have a fun time with all you great people!
Jim Facinelli Pres RRF PS thses forum are great. Im making a file of all the car info on here!
Are you in the Central PA area? I believe I almost bought the same car, but backed off based on the buyback - in fact my credit union (PSECU) will not finance a car with a 'buyback' title. I drove the car over a weekend and everything seemed to work fine.

I also agree that these cars (all cars) need to be driven on a regular basis. I currently have a Jag convertible that had low milage when I bought it and I had a lot of problems the first several months I had it, but have had it for 3 years as a daily driver and most of the problems have gone away.

Good luck with the '04!

#26 ·
We’re beginning to agree that the XLR’s need to be driven. People who follow this forum know from our posts that historically we tend to over protect ours – our ’05 black on black has 5500 miles on it and it is in better shape than when we drove it out of the dealer’s showroom – cleaner and shinier! Ed keeps saying he wants a “V” that’s red and has a black interior. He actually got into some discussion with Mr. XLR recently about obtaining one when there was a brief sale in progress, but there was none to be had that was the right color combination.

Since we’re showing pictures of our XLR’s, here’s ours in front of our house:

Yesterday we received a request and invitation to have our house and grounds be on the local, prestigious Symphony Guild fund raiser Spring Tour for Azaleas and Dogwoods of which we have a couple of thousand around the property. So, among other things as we were discussing the event last evening sitting at the kitchen bar, we found ourselves wondering what to do with the XLR which will certainly be an “attention getter” during the event – put it out front, park it in the driveway or just leave it up on the lift in the garage which will frustrate those who want to see it.

Any thoughts?

Best regards,
Ed and Sandra

#27 · (Edited)
I would leave it in the garage. The people will be looking at flowers not cars. I love the dogwoods and really any flowers that enhance the property. Where we are located in the Ozarks, on the Lake of the Ozarks, near Camdenton, we have a spring Dogwood Festable. The woods around the whole area has millions of natural dogwoods growing, with Redbud mixed in. Water is on three sides of the house. It was built on a causeway. The views are unique.

G
#30 ·
:iagree Yes, I agree, it's about the dogwoods not the house, the garage or the car or anything else. Maybe you can rent a Bentley to put in the drive for the weekend.
I would leave it in the garage. The people will be looking at flowers not cars. I love the dogwoods and really any flowers that enhance the property. Where we are located in the Ozarks, on the Lake of the Ozarks, near Camdenton, we have a spring Dogwood Festable. The woods around the whole area has millions of natural dogwoods growing, with Redbud mixed in. Water is on three sides of the house. It was built on a causeway. The views are unique.

#29 · (Edited)
XLR problems

Kahuna, Yes, I am in Central PA. My nephew used to be head service mgr for Arnold Palmer cadie in Charlotte. I called him about this car before I purchased it. He gave me the full print out of all repairs. The owner had buy back insurance and I notice on the the list he had returned the car for Transaxel does not work,radio never plays and seatframe broken. The repair sheet never had those items repaired because they were never broken. He just wanted out of the car. Probably because he did take it back often but nothing unusal over what all the owners on here have done. So far so good but, Im a car nut I have 7 of them Rolls, Bentley, Porsche, Ruf and Cadillac. I know how fast things go south. I am trying not to let that bother me as much as it used to. I keep all of my cars in perfect shape, but I have been learning to chillout! There just cars and everything can be fixed. I have cars stories that if I told them youd all say I was just totally nuts. Iv broken down in many places with very old Rolls Royces so I am used to garage men just giving me that dumbfounded look. Drive the cars and enjoy them.
Will we see you in BG next month? Jim

#31 ·
Kahuna, Yes, I am in Central PA. My nephew used to be head service mgr for Arnold Palmer cadie in Charlotte. I called him about this car before I purchased it. He gave me the full print out of all repairs. The owner had buy back insurance and I notice on the the list he had returned the car for Transaxel does not work,radio never plays and seatframe broken. The repair sheet never had those items repaired because they were never broken. He just wanted out of the car. Probably because he did take it back often but nothing unusal over what all the owners on here have done. So far so good but, Im a car nut I have 7 of them Rolls, Bentley, Porsche, Ruf and Cadillac. I know how fast things go south. I am trying not to let that bother me as much as it used to. I keep all of my cars in perfect shape, but I have been learning to chillout! There just cars and everything can be fixed. I have cars stories that if I told them youd all say I was just totally nuts. Iv broken down in many places with very old Rolls Royces so I am used to garage men just giving me that dumbfounded look. Drive the cars and enjoy them.
Will we see you in BG next month? Jim
No BG this year - don't think an XK8 would be appropriate there. Still looking for the right deal on an XLR. . . . unless I can talk my friend with his XLR-V into a road trip. Hmmm... Jon

#32 ·
Galen: Your place on the water sounds really nice! Would love to see more pictures of it.

Standby: We don’t have a clue what the relevance of your Bentley comment is. If we wanted one, we would buy it – not rent it. And you might notice we said it was requested that both the grounds and the house be shown for the tour.

To all: With apologies we must say we did manage to omit one small, relevant detail about the invitation we received which was the whole reason we even mentioned the tour in our post. At the end of the conversation the Organizing Committee Chairwoman (whom we don’t know) was thanking us and then remarked “While I’m imposing on you there is one other thing. Would people taking the tour be able to see that exotic black sports car I hear you have?” You need to keep in mind we live in a comparatively small town most would consider rural in nature where people are not accustomed to seeing such and consequently we shouldn’t have been surprised. Actually, it kind of tickled us.

Best regards,
Ed and Sandra

#34 ·
I don't know. I'd be careful, Sandra. Most all of us on here have things in common. But the general public? I too live in a small town and VERY few people know my business. I never take my car to work. I can count on one hand the people that know I have the X. And then half of them don't have a clue what it is. Don't get me wrong. I have worked hard all my life. Have a high school education and have been very lucky in life. By rights, I should never have this kind of car. But my family knows I don't flaunt. Sandra, when I go home for lunch, I'll post some pictures of the lake house. We worked our butts off on that place. All the neighbors drive BMW's Mercedes, Caddies, so I don't care down there, but up in my little town...NO way. I have a business in that town, know what I mean?

#35 ·
E&S...Galen is right. We have our business in a small town close to the Virginia border and when folks see you driving an expensive car, they talk. Many times they think you have made too much...on them. It is ridiculous but small town thinking. In Cary,(pop. 118,000) just about everyone drives a really nice vehicle so it is not a factor.

Just my two cents.:seeya

Regards,

Elfred

#36 ·
Your home and property is a pretty obvious give away that you're doing OK for yourselves and I would expect the neighborhood isn't much different. I would also think that most people on a "prestigious Symphony Guild fund raiser Spring Tour for Azaleas and Dogwoods" are probably not hurting much either! Can't imagine you feel the need to protect your XLR but not your home. Show the car and enjoy it with others that can appreciate it!:thumbs

#37 ·
Is there a difference in regional thinking?
In So. California our cars, I think, are much more prone to be damaged in some way .... high vehicle population on the freeways kick up rocks, idiot drivers, parking lot damage, etc. Also, although the cars are not common, it is not unusual to see 1 or 2 a day in my daily travels. There are 2 of us in my town of 65,000 with exactly the same model. Although our car is "babied" and much loved, it is, after all, a car. The thing that is really different for us is that no one we know thinks that the car is that big of a deal. I think maybe, that our attitude towards cars is much more casual. Our car is in the driveway everyday, and no one has ever touched it. Although many neighbors stop to talk about it ... pro's and con's .... And, we definetly do not fall into the catagory of the rich and famous. We are retired .... from law enforcement, and have bought the car for the pure enjoyment it offers.
So, I can't help but think that maybe where you live determines the uniqueness of the car.
I think that if people in your area are interested in seeing your car --- show it to them! It should be very flattering .....
Have fun with it! :seeya

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.