Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
let me tell you a story from Switzerland: Last september, I bought a XLR. In Switzerland they charge 140 thousand Swissfrancs, that's the equivalent of about $ 120000.00. Everything works fine. I listen to my favorite radio station, and whenever a traffic message comes up, another radio station jumps in and delivers the message. Great. And nothing new so far. But totally new to me is the fact, that it does not show up in the nav system. Do you agree, that most people use the nav system most of the time to circumnavigate traffic jams (usually you know your way)? This does not work in this luxury car! Before the XLR I had the Eldorado and I installed for $ 1500 a nav system, which did all this, including all the warnings, (even warned me from fix installed radar sites).
After 1 month I have called my garage. They will have a look at it. In december I have called again. They will come up with a decision first week in January. Mid January I called again. They are studying the problem (oh, one answer was, I should drive in Germany, there it works !!!). 1st of March they called me again, there is a code, which must be unlocked....they are working on it. Still no solution.
Now, almost half a year hast passed. No solution. No excuse. No sorry about. No nothing.
This is the way, GM treats customers in Switzerland. I have never seen anything like this before. Although I must say, I never had such an expensive car before. Maybe on this level, this is the way it works. Mercedes slowly becomes a real alternative.
How would you in the U.S. act on such a lousy service?

G

·
Everyone over here seems to drop the ball too. I think it's a global thing. (round?)
The best way I have found to get action is to get in their faces as often as possible, hound them on the phone, call a Cadillac rep. After a while they will get sick of hearing from you and seeing you and that's when something gets done.
I realize you shouldn't have to do this with any vehicle let alone a high end one.
BTW: It's no different at Mercedes.
gearup said:
Hi Guys,
let me tell you a story from Switzerland: Last september, I bought a XLR. In Switzerland they charge 140 thousand Swissfrancs, that's the equivalent of about $ 120000.00. Everything works fine. I listen to my favorite radio station, and whenever a traffic message comes up, another radio station jumps in and delivers the message. Great. And nothing new so far. But totally new to me is the fact, that it does not show up in the nav system. Do you agree, that most people use the nav system most of the time to circumnavigate traffic jams (usually you know your way)? This does not work in this luxury car! Before the XLR I had the Eldorado and I installed for $ 1500 a nav system, which did all this, including all the warnings, (even warned me from fix installed radar sites).
After 1 month I have called my garage. They will have a look at it. In december I have called again. They will come up with a decision first week in January. Mid January I called again. They are studying the problem (oh, one answer was, I should drive in Germany, there it works !!!). 1st of March they called me again, there is a code, which must be unlocked....they are working on it. Still no solution.
Now, almost half a year hast passed. No solution. No excuse. No sorry about. No nothing.
This is the way, GM treats customers in Switzerland. I have never seen anything like this before. Although I must say, I never had such an expensive car before. Maybe on this level, this is the way it works. Mercedes slowly becomes a real alternative.
How would you in the U.S. act on such a lousy service?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Not very comforting really. If they would react, I would be patient. But THE LAK OF REACTION drives me mad! Greetings from Switzerland.

G

·
Hey Gear up,

One more idea...........If you have XM radio in your vehicle, you have stations set up for every major city for weather and maybe they give info for construction sights and traffic jams.

You can also set you nav system to go to alternate routes if you have traffic problems. I haven't ever used this feature, but you might want to get out your navigation book and do a little reading, maybe it will help.
If I where in your beautiful country and was stuck in traffic, I would just sit back, turn up the radio and enjoy the scenery.
gearup said:
Thanks for the reply. Not very comforting really. If they would react, I would be patient. But THE LAK OF REACTION drives me mad! Greetings from Switzerland.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It has become a joke regarding the message on Cadillac.com that they will get back in touch with you in 24 hours. After posting a message (about the NAV system in fact) on cadillac.com and then leaving 3 voice messages (each of which also promised a return call in 24 hours) on their 800# customer service line, I still do not have a reply. It has been two weeks now and my frustation continues to build. :banghead

GM will never compete with the Japanese in the luxury car market until they learn to provide the same type of service. :rant

Now to the question of traffic info appearing on the NAV unit: unfortunately, the XLR NAV system is not capable of doing this as it it presently configured. Cadillac announced on Feb 8 that they will start doing this on the CTS in (I think) 20 markets in the US. Interesting that they picked the CTS and not their two top-end cars, the XLR and STS to start with this servicew. :cry

G

·
ALmost correct

XLRcited, and others who don't read their manuals.
In our Navigation manual, Pages 3-12 through 3-14, clearly explain how to receive traffice information It's called the RD feature, the only problem is your have to be on FM in order to get this information, voice only, no info on the Nav screen.
I'm in your corner on the NO answers from 800 or web site. My spam blocker might be stopping anything from coming in, since I contacted them on their web site, not my e-mail.
I sent them the following e-mail
Items I would like changed or added to the XLR

1. Pop up wind screen, preferably in mesh, much to windy at low or high speeds

2. Back up camera instead of ding dongs. Also, warnings lights cannot be seen in mirror.

3. 20” rims standard

4. Rectangle exhaust tips like the ones on Chips redo. Oval looks bad on stealthy vehicle

5. More trunk room……….ya, I know, that’s a tough one.

6. More dash places to store things on passenger side

7. Exhaust on near outside edge of vehicle so the heat doesn’t warm water bottles and heat ones right leg. Although it is great for warming coffee. My car got the fix for this with the space age reflective material, but really didn’t work.

8. Navigation system………more POI’s such as Post Offices, Motor Vehicle Agencies. With all the Nav sys is capable of, I give it very high marks, but lots of guys on XLR Forum don’t and I to have found the voice recognition testy at best.

9. Give us the Cat back system from the factory. A few extra bucks from the factory is better than $2,000 from after market.

10. An aggressive driving mode like the Vette. We are tired of being beat by Mercy aides and Beamers. Give us something to be really proud of.

11. Steering wheel is a little fat

12. A lower set of gears should be available too

I do have my order in for the V, I would just like to see some of these items in the V.
Sorry, I know that was long
Bob
XLRcited said:
It has become a joke regarding the message on Cadillac.com that they will get back in touch with you in 24 hours. After posting a message (about the NAV system in fact) on cadillac.com and then leaving 3 voice messages (each of which also promised a return call in 24 hours) on their 800# customer service line, I still do not have a reply. It has been two weeks now and my frustation continues to build. :banghead

GM will never compete with the Japanese in the luxury car market until they learn to provide the same type of service. :rant

Now to the question of traffic info appearing on the NAV unit: unfortunately, the XLR NAV system is not capable of doing this as it it presently configured. Cadillac announced on Feb 8 that they will start doing this on the CTS in (I think) 20 markets in the US. Interesting that they picked the CTS and not their two top-end cars, the XLR and STS to start with this servicew. :cry

·
Registered
23 Posts
To All -
Earlier in the month one of the members suggested sending Cadillac an e-mail message at the Cadillac.com site concerning the navigation system. I sent them a message concerning the lack of our home address on the DVD. Plus I contacted them via e-mail concerning the very poor dealer make ready when we took delivery of our XLR (quite dirty). I had e-mail responses to both my complaints in less than 12 hours - I then received a call from my dealer who had been called by Cadillac. Then I received a call from the Cadillac Customer Service manager about my complaints. Bottom line - I will recieve a free copy of Version 5 Navigation plus Cadillac is making a sizable cash rebate as part of their client good will program because of the poor dealer service. So far the service has been great from Cadillac.
05BLKXLR

·
Registered
145 Posts
05BLKXLR said:
To All -
Earlier in the month one of the members suggested sending Cadillac an e-mail message at the Cadillac.com site concerning the navigation system. I sent them a message concerning the lack of our home address on the DVD. Plus I contacted them via e-mail concerning the very poor dealer make ready when we took delivery of our XLR (quite dirty). I had e-mail responses to both my complaints in less than 12 hours - I then received a call from my dealer who had been called by Cadillac. Then I received a call from the Cadillac Customer Service manager about my complaints. Bottom line - I will recieve a free copy of Version 5 Navigation plus Cadillac is making a sizable cash rebate as part of their client good will program because of the poor dealer service. So far the service has been great from Cadillac.
05BLKXLR
It looks like you know the correct strings to pull. Congrats! I wish I was just 50% as successful. I'm not looking for any gratis stuff - just their recognition that they have issues with their NAV system and VR.

Bill

·
Registered
145 Posts
standby said:
In our Navigation manual, Pages 3-12 through 3-14, clearly explain how to receive traffice information It's called the RD feature, the only problem is your have to be on FM in order to get this information, voice only, no info on the Nav screen.
I'm in your corner on the NO answers from 800 or web site. My spam blocker might be stopping anything from coming in, since I contacted them on their web site, not my e-mail.

Standby:

I guess I did not know about the RD feature (XM also has voice traffic info on 20 markets 24 hours per day), but I was referring to getting traffic info from NavTraffic plotted on the NAV screen. I believe that's what the previous message was referring to.

Check out the Acura RL. They have been offering that feature for the last 6 months.

Thanks.

Bill

G

·
Roger that Bill,
I'm going to request a hot shot Rep to call me and I want to sit down in front of this guy and ask why we are spending all this money and getting nothing in return when it comes to questions...............Damit, why doesn't the auto industry listen to us. They copy everything we do to a car and can't come up with anything fresh from their enginerring department. Engineers, my butt, their a bunch of yes men to the guys upstairs.
Bob

XLRcited said:
standby said:

Standby:

I guess I did not know about the RD feature (XM also has voice traffic info on 20 markets 24 hours per day), but I was referring to getting traffic info from NavTraffic plotted on the NAV screen. I believe that's what the previous message was referring to.

Check out the Acura RL. They have been offering that feature for the last 6 months.

Thanks.

Bill

·
Registered
234 Posts
standby said:
7. Exhaust on near outside edge of vehicle so the heat doesn’t warm water bottles and heat ones right leg. Although it is great for warming coffee. My car got the fix for this with the space age reflective material, but really didn’t work.
All excellent suggestions. Howerver the heat I think doesn't belong to the exhaust system. Although the pipes do run down the centerline of the vehicle, the console tunnel is enclosed and the exhaust is on the outside of that. What does run down the enclosed tunnel is a drive-tube assembly that is connected to the engine on one end and the transmission on the other. I think that enclosure tends to keep the heat generated by those mechanicals. Moving the exhaust won't change things in my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
standby said:
You can also set you nav system to go to alternate routes if you have traffic problems. I haven't ever used this feature, but you might want to get out your navigation book and do a little reading, maybe it will help.
Believe me, I did read the manual. And as I have mentioned, the system works in Germany, but not in Switzerland. They simply forgot to set the equivalent code. It's as easy as that, according to my car dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
standby said:
See my reply above

·
Registered
477 Posts
Nav system

gearup-

Greetings from Texas. Glad you are part of the XLR family and are with us here on the forum. :)

Regarding nav systems, except for the Garmin GNS 430 in my Cessna 210, I've never owned a GPS route guidance system worth it's salt. Neither the one in the XLR, my 05 Escalade, nor my former ride, a Mercedes ML-500. I don't know how they do it, but it seems the Hertz "Never Lost" system is the best automotive system around. Maybe their databases are just kept up to date.

Regarding service, also I have found that Cadillac is somewhat less than "stellar". I also found, here in the states, that Mercedes service was worse. While I've never owned a Lexus, I've constantly heard their service is superior to everyone. But then if I made my car choices based only on service, I'd be driving that gutless wonder, the SC430. :puke

With a handle like "gearup", it makes me think you may also be a pilot. Am I right?

aviator

G

·
The last I heard from my advisor was air induction from the front to push cooler air through the tunnel. The list I made up was right after I bought it and forgot that I found out about the tunnel later. The point was...........what good does it do to write them and no one answers.
Caly said:
All excellent suggestions. Howerver the heat I think doesn't belong to the exhaust system. Although the pipes do run down the centerline of the vehicle, the console tunnel is enclosed and the exhaust is on the outside of that. What does run down the enclosed tunnel is a drive-tube assembly that is connected to the engine on one end and the transmission on the other. I think that enclosure tends to keep the heat generated by those mechanicals. Moving the exhaust won't change things in my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
aviator said:
Regarding nav systems, except for the Garmin GNS 430 in my Cessna 210, I've never owned a GPS route guidance system worth it's salt.
With a handle like "gearup", it makes me think you may also be a pilot. Am I right?
aviator
As I stated, in my last Eldorado, I've put in a GPS-System, which really is amazing. I don't know, if it is available in the U.S. But they have a completely different approach: The send you a DVD with whole Europe on it, updated every half year for free. You then choose, what you want activated (i.e. Switzerland, Germany). But anytime, you can call and get immediately by cellularphone a code for a specific country. The whole service cost you about $60 a year. For an additional $15, you unlock all fixed installed radar sites. And for the voice, you can choose between male and female. Unfortunately, that system can not be implemented in the XLR. What a shame! The system is called VDO/Dayton.

And yes of course, you are right about your last statement. PP, IFR, SES, MEL. Just looking forward to come over later this year to fly my old Seneca III. Where are you based? Greetings from Switzerland.

·
Registered
477 Posts
From Lone Star Airpark CXO

Currently based at 9X1, which is little more than a mosquito infested mudhole seasonally adapted for infrequent aircraft usage. It's 12 DME due north of IAH.

Due to move to a little better accomodation sometime later this year: Lone Star Airpark CXO in Conroe, TX.

I'm rated PP and IFR. So you fly seaplanes, eh? How very cool. I flew a 206 on floats back in November on Lake Court d'Ailene, Idaho. Slow but a blast. My buddy wants me to partner in a 58P Baron. Not thrilled. I'm interested in a little newer technology - like a Cirrus SR-22, that has a glass ****pit and weather uplink. (Interesting...the forum software auto-edited the C--word again. :glol )

Sorry for the off-topic chat, everyone. Hanger flying...

:cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts