Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, Have owned my 05 XLR since 2013 and today when I gassed up I that found that my 4th gas cap in 25K miles has failed. This last one came from the dealer. Top quality they said. It's a Mercedes part they said. Shouldn't give you any further trouble they said. This was maybe 3 years ago and with the onset of the pandemic I have not been driving much. That cap has not been on and off the tank even 20 times since it was new with just 10 times being more likely. Have not gotten the dashboard warning yet but I know it is coming. The cap will not tighten, it is as if the ratchet inside is stripped out. All the other caps failed in this same way where they essentially just fall of when the gas cap door is opened. For as nice as the Cadillac is everywhere else this part is surprisingly chincy. After the first failure I learned to very gentle on them and my other 3 cars all have their original plastic gas caps including my 36 year old Mustang. Does anyone know if there is another part number for a better cap? Or it there some way of repairing them like maybe putting a screw through it to make the ratchet rigid, etc.? I have read many of the posts here on gas caps (not all 443 of them to be fair) but did not find this particular piece of information. Thanks. XLRated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding bion. Actually earlier today I discovered something and it is a little embarrassing. Since I have owned the car I have been replacing the gas cap by pressing down rather firmly and rotating it clockwise until I heard the first click. Was about to order a new cap and went out to the car to double check the picture against the actual cap. While examining it I realized that the sealing ring does not turn with the cap top but with the lower latching portion. Pushing down while sealing increases the friction between the sealing ring and the filler neck thus putting more force against the ratchet causing it to not only prematurely click but also to fail to turn that lower portion to engage the filler neck. Just using my finger tips and actually even pulling gently up and way from the car as I turned the cap, it repeatedly functioned perfectly. Can't help but wonder if all my other caps still worked. Glad they were not terribly expensive. XLRated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
good for you .I think the vette guys all know to pull out on the cap when you tighten it till it clicks about 3 times to show its secured.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow this really is interesting stuff! Can't wait to try as I have had nothing but grief with the Gas Cap Warning tuning on the Check Engine Light after repeated gas caps !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow this really is interesting stuff! Can't wait to try as I have had nothing but grief with the Gas Cap Warning tuning on the Check Engine Light after repeated gas caps !
I use a 2008 Corvette ZO6 cap with the same “light finger“ technique. It’s been on the car since about 2009. No more problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All, Have owned my 05 XLR since 2013 and today when I gassed up I that found that my 4th gas cap in 25K miles has failed. This last one came from the dealer. Top quality they said. It's a Mercedes part they said. Shouldn't give you any further trouble they said. This was maybe 3 years ago and with the onset of the pandemic I have not been driving much. That cap has not been on and off the tank even 20 times since it was new with just 10 times being more likely. Have not gotten the dashboard warning yet but I know it is coming. The cap will not tighten, it is as if the ratchet inside is stripped out. All the other caps failed in this same way where they essentially just fall of when the gas cap door is opened. For as nice as the Cadillac is everywhere else this part is surprisingly chincy. After the first failure I learned to very gentle on them and my other 3 cars all have their original plastic gas caps including my 36 year old Mustang. Does anyone know if there is another part number for a better cap? Or it there some way of repairing them like maybe putting a screw through it to make the ratchet rigid, etc.? I have read many of the posts here on gas caps (not all 443 of them to be fair) but did not find this particular piece of information. Thanks. XLRated
I have an 04 and had this problem early on however they found that it was a leak in an air line that connect (I think) to where the you fill the fuel tank. Somwhere between the feul cap and the fuel tank, not sure. Not the cap al all I have not had this problem since, over 10 years.
John Pratt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts