Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had some trouble last weekend on a trip. The DIC indicated "service fuel system" and the gas gauge dropped to E. It was near half full and when we filled it up and restarted all seamed back to normal. On the return trip home however the gauge never really moved from around 5/8 full. Going to have it serviced while we have it in for new headlamps but am interested in anyone's else experiences with this and the resolution. I'm guessing fuel level sensors but want to help them get it right the first time.

Dave

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer replaced both fuel level sending units. All is well.

Dave
Spoke to soon. I ran out of gas on the interstate after a retirement party at 1:30AM. It was still showing a little under 1/4 tank. I was happy not to meet a police officer prior to my wife showing up with gas can. Started right up and we were on our way. Its back at the dealer and they are now replacing both fuel tank drop in assemblies complete. I'm not sure I follow their diagnostic paths but I hope they get it back together correctly. MTC

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
129 Posts
This TSB references the fuel senders AND a loose PCM connection:

http://sm.gpona.com:9001/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1725099&from=bcpi

CC :seeya
It appears that that url is dependent on some prior step's results tucked away in a cookie. Here's the full error message, note the last line:

A system error occurred.

Please contact customer support at:
Dealers located in the United States:
1-888-337-1010 prompt 3 or 1-800-828-6860
1-248-265-9327 (Fax)
Dealers located in Canada:
1-800-828-6860 (English)
1-800-503-3222 (French)
Dealers located outside the U. S. and Canada, use the toll numbers below:
001-248-265-2051 (English)
001-248-265-0439 (French)
001-248-265-0840 (Spanish)
001-248-265-9327 (Fax)
ACDelco customers:
1-888-212-8959
The error to report is:
Lost vehicle context

·
Registered
343 Posts
Save this bad boy in your Cadillac Favorites folder:

http://sm.gpona.com:9001/si/home.do

Depending on your search mode, the vehicle type is "Y car." Key word is "fuel sender."

The Doc # is #05-06-04-041A

CC :seeya
Humm The defect reported is the opposite of the sensor problem, it is displaying higher than actual. This fault causes a lower than actual display.

The loose connection seems like a good candidate. Given that the whole tank assembly has been serviced and the problem persists, the PCM is a better candidate than the sensor.

I assume that there was a check to make sure the tank isn't filled with rocks or something and that the level sensor is able to move freely.

Question, when the tank was refilled, how much went in? I.e. was the tank at quarter full or not?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It now shows 5/8 full with fill up and stays around there after burning 12 of 18 gallons and refilling again. It believe from my experience with this problem that it will error both ways.

Got that bookmarked CC! Have my manuals out now.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
343 Posts
It now shows 5/8 full with fill up and stays around there after burning 12 of 18 gallons and refilling again. It believe from my experience with this problem that it will error both ways.

Got that bookmarked CC! Have my manuals out now.

Thanks guys
OK. This is so clearly wrong, the dealership should be able to diagnose it without difficulty.

One of the first things I do with any 'new' car is check the accuracy of the gas gauge, I've had ones that stay high and then drop fast over the last quarter tank, ones that don't work at all well in the middle, ones that are a bit optimistic and ones that are a bit pessimistic. I've even had ones that don't work or cars without a gauge at all. If a gauge is unpredictable then it is defective.

HTHs

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agreed, it is not an intermittent problem. The tanks are full, the gauge reads 5/8. Providing you can access all points along the wiring harness, have a tool to see what the PCM sees, and you understand what you are doing:skep, it should not be a problem to diagnose.

Crossing my fingers.

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts