Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All, Thanks for having me.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a Ford guy. I own a 1966 Mustang FB, so don't hate me......

I am helping a friend who owns a 2004 XLR Neiman Marcus Edition. He's been having a problem with the car shutting off, which GM has identified as an issue with the fuel pump in the right-side fuel tank. When the left tank runs dry, the system is not picking up the gas in the right tank. We are having problems trying to find the pumps, GM doesn't show them in stock anywhere and said they have been discontinued. I reached out to GM Parts Direct a week ago, but they haven't replied to my inquiry.

Does anyone know where I can find the pumps (I would replace both while the tanks are out) or if there is an aftermarket solution?

I appreciate your thoughts and help. Be Well!

Quicksilver66

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am showing right pump
still available and left pump
still available . I am sure since they show to fit the vette a/c delco should have them . I think the left has the sending unit so its about 400 the right about 200 if you shop for a deal. dealer cost to drop the tanks and install is close to 2000-2500

·
Registered
113 Posts
sorry I misspoke. I forgot the 04/05 has an external fuel control module and they changed it in 06-09. So 04/05 pumps may be hard to find .I am sure you can adapt the newer ones by bypassing the internal module and using the external one on the 04/05/ Please pm me if you are going to do the job as this is something we need to figure out and make sure we get correct for others in the future. A bad module can keep the right pump from running. I believe with a tech 2 you can manually run it to confirm.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just checked on ebay and both new right and left are still listed as available less than 200 each. I would make sure to get an a/c delco and pay a little more due to all the labor involved in pulling the tanks. Your dealer maybe knows how much work it is and wanted to pass on the job. haha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi @bion, thank you very much for your reply. When you say you found both on EBay, was that the part numbers you mentioned above or the actual pumps for the 04/05? I also found those part numbers at Summit.

While I am pretty handy at fixing old muscle cars, I know nothing of computers and electronics. I would try to run Tech 2 and likely take down all cable TV stations in Kalamazoo. I have a very good mechanic who may be able to do this, or my friend has been working with the Cadillac dealer, but they don't seem to want to help.

I am happy share anything we learn with the community.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
113 Posts
replacing the pumps is nuts and bolts . A lot of them and takes 6-8 hours. The latest part number shows the same pumps fitting all years so you most likely would only need to replace them and everything will work. the one at summitt shows to be in stock for the same one as listed below. rock auto shows them even cheaper. The only thing is mu1890 they have listed as 2009 only but the factory 09 part number fits all years so I might need to do a little checking to see if they are the same. But any way if you decide to do the job I am sure you can get the pump you need. PM me with your location. I can send you a shot of the factory manual instructions should you decide to change the pumps .
AC Delco M10014 Fuel Pump Module Assembly Right | eBay
ACDelco MU1890 Fuel Pump and Sender Assembly | eBay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi @bion Thank you again for your replies. I will pass this along to my friend and see what he wants to do. I believe he will have a mechanic do the work, but the dealership told him the pumps had been discontinued. Hopefully this will get him on the right track to enjoying his car again. It has great sentimental value to him. I really appreciate your help! Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
114 Posts

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a Ford guy. I own a 1966 Mustang FB, so don't hate me......

I am helping a friend who owns a 2004 XLR Neiman Marcus Edition. He's been having a problem with the car shutting off, which GM has identified as an issue with the fuel pump in the right-side fuel tank. When the left tank runs dry, the system is not picking up the gas in the right tank. We are having problems trying to find the pumps, GM doesn't show them in stock anywhere and said they have been discontinued. I reached out to GM Parts Direct a week ago, but they haven't replied to my inquiry.

Does anyone know where I can find the pumps (I would replace both while the tanks are out) or if there is an aftermarket solution?

Quicksilver66
ALSO GOOD LUCK REPLACING IT, IT IS A KILLER JOB. YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE EXHAUST, THE REAR END AND THEN REACH AND WORK IN THE WORST TIGHT OVER YOUR HEAD AREA POSSIBLE. THE XLR IS GETTING SPOOKY TO OWN. I JUST REPLACED A RADIATOR AND HOSES FOR $2,000. I BLAME CADILLAC FOR ALL OF THESE PROBLEMS WITH NO HELP. AS MY WIFE SAID, IF THIS WAS YOUR FIRST CADILLAC, YOU WOULD NEVER BE BUYING ANOTHER ONE.

·
Registered
113 Posts
you do have to shop a bit for realistic repair costs on most items. .I just replaced a radiator and hoses on a customers car with a much better full aluminum radiator which will most likely outlast the car and the total charge was under 800 for my labor and parts . I drove 100 miles to their home to do the job. The dealers are not your friend on these cars and they can be repaired better and much cheaper if you do a little research. The fuel tanks are indeed a lot of work but running a can of techtron or similiar ever 5-6 months will keep them from failing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice. I've recommended a mechanic that I've worked with for years, rather than him taking it to the dealer. I watched a video on the repair, and it does look like an awful lot of work. I got him the part numbers and I think I found the two pumps in stock, at two different vendors. Hopefully this will get him on the right track and get his car back on the road. I appreciate all of the guidance; you all are great. Best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year!

·
Registered
8 Posts
you do have to shop a bit for realistic repair costs on most items. .I just replaced a radiator and hoses on a customers car with a much better full aluminum radiator which will most likely outlast the car and the total charge was under 800 for my labor and parts . I drove 100 miles to their home to do the job. The dealers are not your friend on these cars and they can be repaired better and much cheaper if you do a little research. The fuel tanks are indeed a lot of work but running a can of techtron or similiar ever 5-6 months will keep them from failing.
Can you supply me the info on that radiator s Sir ?? T.Y.A. Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quicksilver66
I believe rockauto.com has them. Many parts I find for my 2004 I find at rock auto, many are OEM and less expensive than GM dealers. Great folks to work with though mostly I just order online. I replaced my shocks with OEM magnetics @ $372 each and have found several OEM parts there as well. Currently replacing pads/rotors front/rear with drilled rotors for $358. As a side note, one of may fuel tank sending units quit and I would just keep an eye on my odometer and filling up about every 270 miles at the same time started adding Techron with every fill up, after months of doing so it started working again. A Neiman Marcus Edition? Go figure

1 - 14 of 14 Posts