Cadillac XLR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Plate in air dam

in VA. we have the same problem. i cut the plate down and mounted it with one bolt that is in the center of the air dam.if you look through the front grill you can see it. back off a little bit from the front of the car and you can see it. TA DA!!!

I was thinking of the exact same thing, can you post a photo?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm in California - and have had several cars without front plates and no brackets - the fine is $25.00 and I just pay it. I'm a lawyer, believe in civil disobedience. Aesthetics are more important to me than the cops.
Years ago (1987) I was travelling in North Dakota (Fargo, Grand Forks) and I noticed quit a few vehicles being driven around that had no license plates whatsoever!
When I stopped for lunch I asked the waitress "what was going on". She told me that those folks were members of the Freemen who do not believe in the US Govts sovereignty(sp?) and they do not pay taxes nor register their vehicles.

I asked how this could be...wouldn't the sheriff or police do something? The waitress stated that the Sheriff was a Freeman too. (Don't believe in Govt ...but will take a check on Fridays)
Well it wasn't until years later when the TV showed the Feds going into that area and they rounded all the Freemen up and either put them in jail or had a shootout with them. Either way they were disbanded. So much for Civil Disobedience.:smash :smash :smash :smash

Regards,

Elfred

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi everyone this is my first post, since I just acquired our XLR last week. I love it!!

I was out installing the license baracket today, since Utah also requires a front plate. The kit comes with everything you need to install the braket. However, it is very scary to drill tow holes in the front bumper. Supposedly ther are two location dimples in the bumper, but I didn't see any so I just centered the bracket on the character line on the front bumper. I drilled two wholes with a 1/8 drill bit for the tow top bolt/ rivet. I know need to buy a 9mm bit to enlarge the wholes to accomadate the rivet. You don't want to make the drill wholes to large are the rivets will turn and not expand and tighten down.
Also, installed the two side wings on the lower air dams, but the wholes were predilled. Not as scary.

Take Care,
Uintah

Welcome aboard!!! You are a brave soul drilling into the bumper of your XLR! Just remember this....Measure twice, drill once.:crazy .....:D

Regards,

Elfred

G

·
For Sale............two bumper holes drilled by my dumb ass dealer back in 06. Plugged them and will be filled when I get back from BG.

What's a fella to do.
Bob
Welcome aboard!!! You are a brave soul drilling into the bumper of your XLR! Just remember this....Measure twice, drill once.:crazy .....:D

Regards,

Elfred

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm in California - and have had several cars without front plates and no brackets - the fine is $25.00 and I just pay it. I'm a lawyer, believe in civil disobedience. Aesthetics are more important to me than the cops.
In Utah there are two things guaranteed to get one pulled over: California plates and being a lawyer. Really no sense adding a third.

Had a partolman follow be for several miles today on my way to work. He drove left rear, behind and right rear. I finally used a semi to cut him off and we went our seperate ways, still friends.

Uintah

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks

Thanks all for the feedback on the front plate, since I like the look I'll chance it for a while and see what happens.

Now, on to the XM "wart" to install or not to install, that is the question...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks all for the feedback on the front plate, since I like the look I'll chance it for a while and see what happens.

I waited over a year before I broke down and installed the wart. Now it taunts me in the review mirror. Should have asked how much to convert to the '06 version.

·
Registered
234 Posts

We waited too... but when Baseball season started... well XM has all the games. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I still have the "wart" in a box in the trunk. You mentioned the 06 version, is the antenna installation different?
Uintah

·
Registered
234 Posts
I still have the "wart" in a box in the trunk. You mentioned the 06 version, is the antenna installation different?
Uintah
They hid the antenna in the passenger mirror!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
XM Antenna Installed in windshield today.

Uintah
I contacted the dealer and they ordered the wart for me, but I had second thoughts so I went to best buy today and purchased the mini xm antenna $40, I found out that I needed the splitter to convert the newer style "one lead" antenna to the older two lead type. Neither Best Buy or Circuit City carried the splitter, I found a place on the web that carries the splitter but didn't want to wait, I found a local auto audio shop that had one in stock, $30. Went into my trunk and found the leads plugged in where the wart would be connected right above the back of the rear storage unit, unplugged the 2 white prewired coax leads and connected the splitter leads then the antenna which came connected to 23' of coax. Ran the very thin coax wire through the bottom back of the passenger seat, tucked it under the passenger kick plate and up to the windshield. Very simple install, and the mini XM antenna was magnetic so it sticks to the center vent grill, works great everywhere except inside my garage!
XM antenna part: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AUz1IYM...a&i=209XMICRO2
XM splitter part: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AUz1IYM...er&i=003XM1DAS

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tek King, can you send pics on the xm antenna installation? i miss listening to the great music and sports but don't want the wart on the back.
Darrell

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Photos of XM

Tek King, can you send pics on the xm antenna installation? i miss listening to the great music and sports but don't want the wart on the back.
Darrell
See attached. Ignore yellow circle which points out the antenna, so small I had to highlight it...

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Front License Plate

I recently acquired a 2004 XLR with only 8000 miles, and face the same hassle discussed. "Front plate or throw caution to the wind, and opt not to display one." I made the dealer get me the bracket, as a front plate is required in California, but choose not to ruin the aesthetics of the front end with the "required in California" front license plate. I have had an Acura NSX since 1991, and it is also sans plate. I had one anal sphincter of an officer give me a citation, so I just took a couple of velcro dots, attached the plate to the bra on the front, got it checked off, and off it came again. I really think the law sucks, and if the lawmakers wanted to really save some money, they could stop requiring it and charge us Californians the same license fee. I won't hole my breath on that.

The velcro dots work, and it is an alternative for a quick check off the ticket scenerio.

Regards,

Bill

·
Registered
142 Posts
My luck ran out!

My luck ran out!! I was pulled over by a LEO and given a ticket for no front plate. It was a Saturday and he must've been bored and the Huskers were getting poked by the Cowboys and all is not well in Huskerland. I got the Cadillac front bracket, but boy I sure didn't want to drill them two holes to mount it! So here's what I did!

It's bolted to the bottom grill, spaced out about 2 3/4 inch with rubber washers between fender washers and just snugged up, not tight. Don't want to bend my grill.

Here's the kicker!!! When I went to get my repair order signed off. The lady in the office, yea,,, lady in the office not an officer, just signed it and didn't even come outside to look at anything!! BUMMER!!! And I'm also short another $69. Does that give me extra "club" privileges?
Chad

21 - 40 of 49 Posts