Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my 05 XLR for about a year, I have been in the shop multiple times for a service fuel system message they have yet to find the problem, they've replaced both sending units twice, message still comes on.:cry other than that i have only had a few more things wrong, the car has been through three top control modules the third one fixed it, my service stabilitrak abs and vehicle soon lights come on all at once at times. other than that its my favorite automobile in my garage and just a blast to drive,:cool I'm always finding out new things about the car. in the information display it shows the odometer while the exit entry lights are on at night is this programmable to show other things too? and why does it only come on with the entry exit lights on at night?

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
ahohenlohe1:

Welcome to the XLR Forum. We have a lot of valuable information here regarding your issues.

Based on your success record at you dealer I am wondering if they have a XLE Certified mechanic working on your car. There are only some of the dealerships that do. I say the because a regular Cadillac mechanic will have to learn how to fix everything he eoncounters on the few XLRs that come in to his shop as opposed to being actually trained on how to fix the car in classes.

There is a bulletin out on the Service Stabilitrac issue.

Also there is a 2007 complete owners manuel in Adobe format on this site. It may answer many of the questions you have regarding what can and can't be programmed and more importantly how to do it.

Your dealer can also help you with the other bulletins that are out on your specific car AND ensure that each of the issues have been resolved.

Regards

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent I will definitely take a look at that manual. Yea I’m not really sure if they have a certified XLR mechanic, come to think about it they have been calling tech support, hmmm maybe that’s the problem, they don’t know how to work on the beauty, they have been acting a little strange lately too when I bring my car in like giving me half answers too why this is happening. I live in Eugene Oregon it kind of a small town. I may just try to hunt a dealer down up in Portland about 2hrs away to see what they can do for me, and hope they have certified guy working there, I think Vic Alfonso is the name of it. maybe they can also replace my buppled headlights too.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Is this car under any Cadillac warranty??? GM/Cadillac Certified or the origional one preferably.

IF SO--the headlights are also covered and replaceable. There is a booster that needs to be done as well.

YES check to see if the current dealer is/was XLR Certified in thier training. When you look for another dealer since the distance is considerable, call and ask the same question.

Be sure to request that mechanic work on your car while it is there as well. As "discussion" with the Service Manager should suffice.

Please let us know how it comes out.

Regards

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the car was still under factory warrenty when i bought it, its in gmpp now. i have another question my car never came with the #1 key so i got one on ebay and followed the instructions well they where the wrong ones now i have a #1 key in the #3 spot LOL is there a way to fix this myself or is it something the dealer has to do.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
I had the dealer do it. They can reprogram it falrly easily.

The booster is for the melted lights. The initial boosters were making the bulbs too hot and causing them to melt. So a replacement was made and included in the later replacement kits. This issue only affected the 2004 and some 2005 Xlr's.

BTW: Those lights are $1,000 EACH!!! The whole assembly has to be replaced that is under clear plastic.

Regards

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have owned my 05 XLR for about a year, I have been in the shop multiple times for a service fuel system message they have yet to find the problem, they've replaced both sending units twice, message still comes on.:cry other than that i have only had a few more things wrong, the car has been through three top control modules the third one fixed it, my service stabilitrak abs and vehicle soon lights come on all at once at times. other than that its my favorite automobile in my garage and just a blast to drive,:cool I'm always finding out new things about the car. in the information display it shows the odometer while the exit entry lights are on at night is this programmable to show other things too? and why does it only come on with the entry exit lights on at night?
I had the same problem on my 2004 and also on my 2006, replacing the fuel cap solved my problem, it seemed to be a pressure problem in the tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I drove the 2hrs to Portland, my car is being worked on as we speak. They do have one XLR certified tech working with them. Maybe things will work out now. Vic Alfonso has some really nice people that work there. Got a rental covered under warranty a Black 09 HUMMER H3 that’s what should have happened all those times I took it to my XLR into service in Eugene, normally they give me a crappy Aveo or a cobalt without a CD player LOL :lol they said I would have to pay extra for a CD player. LOL :lol just kidding extra for a Buick and couldn’t get a Cadillac, sometimes they never gave me a car at all because they didn’t have any. :mad Well after it’s done I might just get to spend time with my car this summer with the top down :cool

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I have yet to see a Service Bulletin or Recall regarding the melted DRL bezels on the headlights. If someone has it, or knows the number, please post it so we can help other folks out.

There was a bulletin released regarding melting lighting harnesses creating a fire hazard. I think it was fixed with the upgraded pigtail harness assy.

Headlamps with melted bezels may be replaced as a GM goodwill gesture, as mine were. This has a lot to do with the relationship you have with your dealer --it is not obligatory on their part. The headlamps have been upgraded, but it was my understanding that the bezel material was changed. The new headlamps need a different jumper harness to connect to the old harness, so there's been some kind of electrical change as well. This affects 04-05 model years.

When contemplating a purchase of used XLR headlights, always inspect the bezels for circular crazing caused by high heat. It's easy to spot. eBay lists them all the time. Caveat emptor!

Editor's Note: The upper bulb is where the affected area lies. The bezel turns kind of an amber color when it melts. I hope this doesn't cause any confusion. ccc

CC :cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My dealership gave me a new driver seat skins a wile ago as good will was nice, only down side is it smelled like it came fresh off the cow LOL its OK now definitely improved the smell. just got the car back after 5 days of it being 2hrs away in the shop, NOTHING was covered under warranty i got stuck paying 1hr of labor plus my rental HUMMER. They replaced a couple of ground wires for the stabilitrak not sure what they did about the fuel problem. got back to Eugene filled the car 3 min into driving SERVICE FUEL SYSTEM in the DIC came on AHHHHHHH only it does something different now it goes off after 15 sec and is intermittent came on twice in my 15min drive home. so money wise i paid for them to drive my car for 30min and fix some ground wires. on the plus side the suspension is tight now. they DENIED to resolve the unsightly Headlights again. I don't understand why GM lets people drive around like this, if anything they should be embarrassed. I have and still own a 2000 Escalade never have had any major problems with the truck i purchased an extended warranty with it for 700 bucks when i would go in for an oil change they would replace everything like burned bulbs seat switches mirrors ETC i never even cared about or not noticed half of these things i never had to pay a dime, why when i pay 2700 bucks for an extended warranty through GM for my XLR I don't get the same, what happened to GM, it makes me upset how much the value of my car has dropped in the past year, on my 97 BMW it has changed 100 bucks in the last 3 years, i am German Hungarian all my family drives is German and Japanese cars i chose Cadillac because to me its what a luxury car is supposed to be. nothing beats the ride power and comfort of one, the XLR is unique and that's what I like about it, every car going down the road looks the same now a days you cant tell a Honda Acura Toyota Lexus apart they all look the same. its nice to stand out from the crowed in an XLR. anyways i have it back and i will drive it till it leaves me stranded again than i will take it in for a FIX I'm just giving up on the service fuel system message its just too stressful. who knows maybe i wont have another problem just that.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Sorry for you problems.

If I read correctly your remaining problems are;

1. The DIC message SERVICE FUEL SYSTEM
2. The melted Headlignts.

Regarding #1 please go get a gas cap and seeif the message goes away. It has for lots of people with this problem and as CC mentioned it only cost you $9.95.

The headlights are another issue. They would be covered under the original factory warranty or if the car was under a Cadillac Certified warranty. Unfortunately they are not covered under a GMPP warranty I am told.

We'll have to see if we can find them for a reasonable price on osme of the parts sites.

Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have yet to see a Service Bulletin or Recall regarding the melted DRL bezels on the headlights. If someone has it, or knows the number, please post it so we can help other folks out.

There was a bulletin released regarding melting lighting harnesses creating a fire hazard. I think it was fixed with the upgraded pigtail harness assy.

Headlamps with melted bezels may be replaced as a GM goodwill gesture, as mine were. This has a lot to do with the relationship you have with your dealer --it is not obligatory on their part. The headlamps have been upgraded, but it was my understanding that the bezel material was changed. The new headlamps need a different jumper harness to connect to the old harness, so there's been some kind of electrical change as well. This affects 04-05 model years.

When contemplating a purchase of used XLR headlights, always inspect the bezels for circular crazing caused by high heat. It's easy to spot. eBay lists them all the time. Caveat emptor!

Editor's Note: The upper bulb is where the affected area lies. The bezel turns kind of an amber color when it melts. I hope this doesn't cause any confusion. ccc

CC :cheers
My 2004 XLR was purchased in Nov 2021. A month later I noticed a Headlight RECALL msg on the dash. The left turn signal was also not functioning. Took it to Cadillac (who "said" they have a XLR Certified tech.) and in ten min. Tech. said the "Recall was done 10 years ago. Nothing we can do". I entered my VIN in the NHSTA website and it indicated the RECALL "Had Never Been Reported as completed". Back to Cadillac Management. As soon as they heard that NHSTA was involved, they ordered new headlight sockets, harnesses, and bulbs. Following RECALL install(s) the lights perform well, and turn signal issue is fixed also (at no charge). Sad that it took 2 months for Cadillac to provide the RECALL repairs. I doubt they will see me for service again.
Side note: Luckily, I met a fellow XLR owner at a local car show. He highly recommended Legends Luxury Auto Repair in Tempe AZ. (a 20 min. drive). Owner Danny has 30 years XLR/Cadillac experience and has done some installs/replacements for me. I now Trust his services. Cadillac - not so much.
Danny indicated I should always drive with the headlights ON, to reduce heat buildup and melting chances again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was at a car swap meet Sunday and a guy had four XLR headlights he was selling for $100 each. What are the chances these were removed because of the service bulletin and may potentially have the melting problem?
WHAT YEAR ARE THE LIGHTS. THE OLD ONES WERE STATIONARY AND THE NEWER ONES TURNED WITH THE STEERING WHEEL. HE MIGHT NOT KNOW WHAT HE HAS, THEY CAN GO FOR AS HIGH AS $5,000.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts