Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

after a fast driving trip of about 250 km (155 miles) my engine light came on!!!!

Now after a couple of short trips the light is still on but anything works right, did anyone of you had this?

Today is holiday in germany but tomorow I´ll drive to my dealership for a computer-check-up.

BTW on the above trip a merc CL 500 try to hold up with me :nono he couldn`t.
I sayd to my son who was with me "THAT´s A CADILLAC" - em I right???? :)

Thanks
Harry



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,142 Posts
If only you had On Star.........they will tell you why the lights on.......
and you can order a pizza while you're at it!

I get CEL when the gas cap is not secure enough....goes off after a few days
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1_XLR said:
If only you had On Star.........they will tell you why the lights on.......
and you can order a pizza while you're at it!

I get CEL when the gas cap is not secure enough....goes off after a few days
Hi 1 XLR, you are right, On Star doesn`t work here in germany.

I hope it`s not a big problem, I knew that with the gas cap but didn`t work. Light is still on. I hope tomorow I have the time to see my dealer - they will check it out.

I`ll let you know

Thanks

Harry



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
0 Posts
Funny thing, my OBD light came on this weekend as well, and as of yet nothing I've tried has re-set it. I tried the gas cap, tried re-fueling.

When the car was in for the top malfunction last week they re-flashed the computer, I just figured that may have triggered something, but who knows.

I'm going to run it through a few more driving cycles before I get too excited.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
This happened to me as well last summer, I think I just played with the gas cap or refuelled the car when the tank was empty and the light disappeared... Have you tried opening gas cap? Have you refuelled several times since?
 
G

·
Hi Harry, you want to know if this happens to us? Where the hell are we going to do 155 and have a light go off, or for that matter who would be looking at gauges?



vroooooooooooooooooom
Bob

harrysxlr said:
Hi there,

after a fast driving trip of about 250 km (155 miles) my engine light came on!!!!

Now after a couple of short trips the light is still on but anything works right, did anyone of you had this?

Today is holiday in germany but tomorow I´ll drive to my dealership for a computer-check-up.

BTW on the above trip a merc CL 500 try to hold up with me :nono he couldn`t.
I sayd to my son who was with me "THAT´s A CADILLAC" - em I right???? :)

Thanks
Harry
 
G

·
I was showing someone how On Star works yesterday and the virtual person said, "Can I help you as you ride through El Toro Woods"?, which is a small section in Lake Forest Ca. Even I was dumb founded as I realized it GPS'ed me. The other person wanted to know how it knew where we were? I told him it was my very own satallite that follows me around. There goes Harry



1_XLR said:
If only you had On Star.........they will tell you why the lights on.......
and you can order a pizza while you're at it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
standby said:
I was showing someone how On Star works yesterday and the virtual person said, "Can I help you as you ride through El Toro Woods"?, which is a small section in Lake Forest Ca. Even I was dumb founded as I realized it GPS'ed me. The other person wanted to know how it knew where we were? I told him it was my very own satallite that follows me around. There goes Harry
Hahahahaha great Bob, you always get me smiling :thumbs

I had it over 170 and when I get of the autobahn at Boxberg I saw my engine light was on. :( I was there for the CORVETTE-PERFORMANCE-TRAINING and drove there my first 05 STS V8 :yesnod Even this month or next I replace my DTS with the new STS, it`s a great car, the nav-screen is the biggest what available in a car and it runs great. Had it to 265 kph (165 mph). :cool real great ride!!!!!

Bob, I talked there to some GM-people and they told me that you will get your XLR V sometimes between oct - dec 2005 - not early 06. I hope for you they are right.

Have a nice week my friend

Harry



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Gas Cap

After the 2nd "check engine" lignt over the gas cap, my dealer replaced the gas cap with one that has some weird plastic tabs/looks bigger in diameter.

So far, its been about 3 months and the CEL has not come back on. I wonder if there's a service bulletin about this (and a replacement cap). :rolleyes

On an irrelevant note, I'm in "hot & heavy" negotiations to buy a car wash. Is that a bit extreme, just to get my XLR washed and hand waxed every week? :lol

--Bob

PS Its finally top down weather in NYC! I forgot how great it is to be the nicest convertible on the road...
 
G

·
That would be an early Christmas present Harry, but I'm not going to put a lot of faith in that. I would rather be surprised if it comes in early. We will see.



harrysxlr said:
Hahahahaha great Bob,
Bob, I talked there to some GM-people and they told me that you will get your XLR V sometimes between oct - dec 2005 - not early 06. I hope for you they are right.

Have a nice week my friend

Harry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Top down weather...always!

Dadonator said:
PS Its finally top down weather in NYC! I forgot how great it is to be the nicest convertible on the road...
Dadonator--

I mostly love the climate in NYC - especially the spring and summer, but...

Water temp at lake Conroe is 79 deg, and we've been skiing for a month now. :D

And that car wash idea.....with four cars to keep up with, I must admit I've considered it as well. :yesnod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Engine Light OFF.......

Hi there,

my daughter drove my XLR today to my dealer and they mad a computer-check:

Result: Nothing found - the chief mechanic means that propably the gas-cap was not put on properly but I refill my car always by myself and I know how to put it on!!!

Well, the light is off and that`s :thumbs - hope it stays that way.

Thanks

Harry



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
harrysxlr said:
Hi there,

my daughter drove my XLR today to my dealer and they mad a computer-check:

Result: Nothing found - the chief mechanic means that propably the gas-cap was not put on properly but I refill my car always by myself and I know how to put it on!!!

Well, the light is off and that`s :thumbs - hope it stays that way.

Thanks

Harry
Harry - I had a car once that would sometimes indicate CEL when I overfilled the gas tank. Just a thought.
Aviator
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
aviator said:
Harry - I had a car once that would sometimes indicate CEL when I overfilled the gas tank. Just a thought.
Aviator[/QUOTE

Hi Aviator,
yes, I usually fill it up completely but I do this on my DTS and Vette also.

On my DTS the light was on once and the found out that the cam-shaft sensors on both sides had to be replaced. Was mid last year, no more light on since then.

Best thing now - no more light is ON - weather is about 80° - top down and going for a ride.
Have a nice weekend!!!

Harry



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Hi Harry,
I had the CEL about a week ago. The carwash attendant had not put the cap back on correctly. The light did not show up until the next day. Put the cap back on correctly and voila, the light went out.

Nice going, blowing off that M CL 500. I'll bet he's still fuming.

I took on a 500 CL, from a stop light, the other day.
Had the Stabilitrac OFF and went MANUAL on the transmission.
In about 5 seconds, and approximately 65 MPH, all the guy saw, was my rear bumper. I'm certain he took it in to his Mercedes dealer for a tune up after that.
Noticeable increase in HP after installing the Corsa Exhaust system. Wish I had done a before/after dynamometer test to actually test the increase.

We, in the U.S., all envy you for being able to drive on your autobahns without regard to posted speed limits.
Shortly after the 1974 fuel crisis, our esteemed lawmakers passed the countywide 55 MPH highway law. This actually resulted in more highway deaths, so they increased the speed limit to a whopping 70 MPH.
When you guys were faced with the proposed Autobahn speed limits, you're argument was impeccable. "Reduced speed equals reduced driver experience to reaction times". or something to that effect.

Reduced speeds have no effect on the number of fatalities on highways and Autobahns. They only make the CRASH less spectacular.

Best Regards,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
brooksmorris said:
Hi Harry,
I had the CEL about a week ago. The carwash attendant had not put the cap back on correctly. The light did not show up until the next day. Put the cap back on correctly and voila, the light went out.

Nice going, blowing off that M CL 500. I'll bet he's still fuming.

I took on a 500 CL, from a stop light, the other day.
Had the Stabilitrac OFF and went MANUAL on the transmission.
In about 5 seconds, and approximately 65 MPH, all the guy saw, was my rear bumper. I'm certain he took it in to his Mercedes dealer for a tune up after that.
Noticeable increase in HP after installing the Corsa Exhaust system. Wish I had done a before/after dynamometer test to actually test the increase.

We, in the U.S., all envy you for being able to drive on your autobahns without regard to posted speed limits.
Shortly after the 1974 fuel crisis, our esteemed lawmakers passed the countywide 55 MPH highway law. This actually resulted in more highway deaths, so they increased the speed limit to a whopping 70 MPH.
When you guys were faced with the proposed Autobahn speed limits, you're argument was impeccable. "Reduced speed equals reduced driver experience to reaction times". or something to that effect.

Reduced speeds have no effect on the number of fatalities on highways and Autobahns. They only make the CRASH less spectacular.

Best Regards,
Hi Partner,
you killed a 500 CL too :thumbs Yes, since Cadillac came out with the Northstar-engines in 1993 the start to getting fast. I had my first Northstar in my 93 STS and it not only could hold up with the ones like 500 or 745, it could drive them away. I showed a lot of them my 4 exhaust-tips :lol

The 80`s was real bad for the US auto-industry with their downsizing program.
I still know when a small Deville, say a 86 had 4,1 liter V8 and 130 hp :( and the worst thing about this was, that they used more gasoline like the new Northstars now.

All in all I feel pretty American :flag myself beside one thing and that`s your SPEED-LIMIT. My avg. speed on the US-Highways is only 80-100 mph.

Still think about to put a Corsa on my XLR but I will check out in aug. while I´m in the US. I love it on my Vette!!!!

Thanks
Harry



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 
G

·
Hey guys,
Doesn't the CL or SL 500 have 394 HP? How is our 320 HP kicking their butts? I raced an SL one day and he went by me like I was standing still.................Then I noticed the SL 600 on the trunk.
Bob

harrysxlr said:
Hi Partner,
you killed a 500 CL too :thumbs Yes, since Cadillac came out with the Northstar-engines in 1993 the start to getting fast. I had my first Northstar in my 93 STS and it not only could hold up with the ones like 500 or 745, it could drive them away. I showed a lot of them my 4 exhaust-tips :lol

Still think about to put a Corsa on my XLR but I will check out in aug. while I´m in the US. I love it on my Vette!!!!

Thanks
Harry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Horsepower is great, but you have to have the torque to launch it quickly. If you compare the Cadillac vehicles with most(I did say most) Euro brands, the torque numbers are higher per horsepower, and the torque band generally starts lower and is wider.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Satndby, as far as I know, the 500 engine from Mercedes has 306 bhp. The 600, which is actually 5.5L, one the other hand is around 493 bhp but is a V12 with twin turbos... is it more or less the same as the SL55 AMG which has a Supercharged V8... Finally, the SL65 is a Supercharged V12 with over 600bhp and cost about 200,000 euros...
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top