Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from esearider instrument failure

On what was supposed to be a nice cruise from Vancouver BC to Phoenix after 7 hr drive and nearing Ontario Oregon, I had a complete power failure to all the dash instruments. Also the top wouldn't go up as it didn't think I was in park. Finally found that by using the accessory mode I could put the top up. Checked all the fuses that seemed to be related(2 hours in 105 deg heat) but no success. I said darn it!!! several times. Gave up and as the car was still drivable I did the 8 hr drive back to Vancouver and caught a plane to PHX. One week later on returning home I checked the car and everything was dead. Put it on a trickle charger but no luck. Had it towed to a dealer.(buy the way the tow truck operator used a booster to start the engine and presto the gauges all worked, go figure!!) Just got a call from the dealer and he said the battery was dead! duh! I am loosing confidence! I think I'll ask him, if based on their synopsis would he trust it to take on a 3 day drive through the desert.
Anyway I would like to find what might be the source of the problem.
All gauges quit including the read out for range, tire pressure etc. didn't know it was in park, automatic window return when closing the doors didn't work.
Yet it was still drivable, air conditioning still worked.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Dead batteries are an all-too common occurrence with the XLR. Your situation could have been made worse by a shorted cell.

The XLR draws power 24/7. If left unattended for more than two weeks, it needs to be connected to a Battery Tender. This is not the same as a standard trickle charger, and will protect the battery during long-term storage. I've stored my car for over a year using one with no problems whatsoever.

Once a battery is depleted, sulphation begins and collects on the plates, reducing subsequent capacity. The Battery Tender prevents this.

CC :seeya

1 - 2 of 2 Posts