Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dead battery and My Manual is in the car. Fob can't open car door.

I remember you can open trunk first via back bumper having small cover square cap to pop off. I popped the cover off. I inserted the key in the keyhole and turned the key as far right as possible but the trunk lid did not popup. I tried to turn the key and squeeze the latch beneath the trunk lid and that didn't pop the trunk. What am I doing wrong? How do you release the trunk lid to get to the unlatch toggle in the trunk to unlock the car door to then unlatch the hood of the car to get access to the battery?

Any detailed explanation would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Dead battery and My Manual is in the car. Fob can't open car door.

I remember you can open trunk first via back bumper having small cover square cap to pop off. I popped the cover off. I inserted the key in the keyhole and turned the key as far right as possible but the trunk lid did not popup. I tried to turn the key and squeeze the latch beneath the trunk lid and that didn't pop the trunk. What am I doing wrong? How do you release the trunk lid to get to the unlatch toggle in the trunk to unlock the car door to then unlatch the hood of the car to get access to the battery?

Any detailed explanation would be appreciated.

Try this.......PRINT IT OUT AND TAKE IT WITH YOU ALONG WITH SOME BEERS...

http://www.xlrforum.com/showthread.php?t=6393&highlight=Dead+Battery

Regards

Jerry

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great Instructions Jerry

I printed out directions and will attempt tomorrow and have help with someone lifting the trunk lid while I turn the key inside bumper opening. I will also take your advice and wd40 the key opening, I don't want this lock to corrode the next time (I'm sure this won't be the last) I have to do this again. Having an extra pair of hands helps and I enjoy drinking beer with anyone who wants to join me in a beer. I will post my success or failure tomorrow. Thanks Jerry for you help ! Greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Glad to help!!

Prior to inserting the key for the first time, spray the key slot with WD-40 and let it sit for a minute to ensure it works it's way into any corroded areas that may cause the lock to not turn.

Then insert and remove the key several times with out turning it to freecup the tumblers.
Once it feels loose, then turn it. The trunk will release from the lock and pop up as a normal keyed trunk would do. THEN raise it to the highest level you can and follow the process.

Remember once you have the hood open, you can "jump start" the car if you can get to the battery on the passenger side and the car will start and run/idle.

As I mentioned, you can drive it to a Advance Auto or NAPA store and they will load test it for free. The trick here is DO NOT turn the car off until you confirm that they have the exact battery you need at that store.

OR, have the Caddy Dealer either install a new one or sell it to you for you to install.

Please let me know if theprocess/procedure needs any changes.

Regards

Jerry

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Success Getting Trunk Open

Hi Jerry,

Following your directions, with my 2005 XLR, when I turned the key all the way to the right, the trunk did not pop up or unlatch. I had my wife keep the key turned all the way to the right and I lifted with both hand the trunk lid and as you stated, it is very heavy since you are lifting against the plunger that prevents the trunk from dropping down quickly.

Inside I found the little door panel you described on the left lower wall in the trunk. It had 2 toggles, one toggle to open the gas lid and the other toggle with a little plastic tag with a small decal with a small car on it with the driver car door in the open position. You were right about the tab to open the driver car door that you must pull very slow and pull pretty hard for it to open the driver door. It opened the driver door. I pulled the hood latch and have the car hood open.

I have both a battery tender and a battery charger.

Questions?
1.Am I right that you can not use a battery tender to charge a discharged battery?

2. If a battery tender will work, Do you have to disconnect the battery terminals while charging the battery?

3. If a battery tender will not work and I use a battery charger, do you have to disconnect the batter terminals while charging the battery?

Once I get the battery charged I will do what you suggested and go have the battery tested to see if it has any bad cells. I've only had the car 1 1/2 years and there is no info to determine the age of the battery.

Thanks in advance for your feedback on my questions above.

Time to have another beer or 2.

Best Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Glad to hear that you are at least part of the way to success. Be sure to reward your bride with a beer too!!

Here's what I woyld do;

1. check to see if the battery cables are securly fastened to the battery. frankly I hate those new connections. If you twistwd them and can put a ratchet socket over the terminal an give it a LIGHT tape to ensure it's seated as it should be, then I would try and start it. if no joy, then hopefully you can jump it where it sits. If not you need a battery charger NOT the tender--just yet. the reason is you needto get thepower up enoufh to let the tender do it's job. if you try and use a Battery Tender on a dead battery you will be waiting for a very long time with NO success (don't ask me how I know).

If you are impatient remove the battery and take it to one of the stores and just buy a new one,i install it and be done with it.

There are varying reporys on Optima batteries. i went with another Delco.

If it's been in the car for over 3 years and it's giving you trouble REPLACE IT.
you don't want a repeat performace when you least expect it.

THEN Tender the new battery.

Let us know........

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Once lead acid batteries enter a discharged state, they can degrade very quickly. Many times after being recharged from a discharged state, they won't hold the new charge as long.

As has been stated here many times in the past: If you let yoru car sit idle for three weeks or more, don't be surprised to find the battery depleted. The XLR ALWAYS draws power when parked.

A Battery Tender (or Minder) is your best insurance to keep your battery in an optimal condition when the vehicle is parked for extended duration. If the battery is weak after just a week of sitting idel, then it's probably degraded to the point where replacement is warranted.

Also, it's a good practice to not raise and lower the top on battery power alone; let the engine idle. Two or three cycles of the top in quick succession can drain the battery to the point where the car may not start.

CC :seeya

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replacing Battery in 2005 XLR

I bought the Optima brand yellow top brand battery for my XLR as a replacement. Advance auto parts had on their website data base for my year and model car, that model part # D45 would fit. I purchased this battery on-line and went to the nearby store. Turns out the positive post was where the negative post should be and vise versa. They said the correct Optima battery with the posts reversed was a Optima model D75/25 and since it wasn't in stock I purchased it on-line and was mailed free to my house. It arrived and today when I went to install it and had another problem. The terminal posts are too far from the edge of the battery. The terminal cables have a right-angle bracket that slips on each terminal. The right angle bracket goes over the edge of the battery and onto the terminal posts and the posts must be from the center of the post to the edge of the battery 1 3/4 inches. The Optima batteries posts are set about 2 1/2 inches from the edge of the battery and therefore the terminal brackets will not reach the posts on the Optima brand battery. I would assume the this would also be true if one bought the red top Optima brand battery. This being said, what brand battery do other 2005 XLR owner have installed in their 2005 XLR that have these right-angle brackets that fit on your battery terminal posts? I do not want to replace these terminal post brackets that are on my car. Thanks in advance for any feedback that can be provided.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
I'm real sorry you are having a real bad experience with this.

I would get on the phone with Optima and let them know that their product doesn't fit.

They may allow you to return it to a local store instead of mailing it back.

It just a suggestion BUT if you go to your local Cadillac dealer he can sell you a new Delco that will fit and will be serviced at the dealership if it fails under the warranty.

You'll be driving in an hour.

Regards

Jerry

·
Registered
54 Posts
I installed an Odyssey PC1230 AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery. The terminals worked perfectly. I use 4 of these in my boat (AGMs that is) and have never had a problem. My XLR can sit a month without my battery tender on and the FOB and starting work perfectly.

They are pricey, but they fit and work perfectly.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
I installed an Odyssey PC1230 AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery. The terminals worked perfectly. I use 4 of these in my boat (AGMs that is) and have never had a problem. My XLR can sit a month without my battery tender on and the FOB and starting work perfectly.
They are pricey, but they fit and work perfectly.

Carter:

How much and at which retail store did you purchase it?

He needs some help ASAP so he can drive his car.

Regards

·
Registered
4 Posts
Opening the trunk with a dead battery

I had to do this today. I forgot to hook up my trickle battery charger 6 months ago.

Any full size key that came with your XLR will work. There's a small square plastic piece on the left hand side of the rear bumper that you have to pry off. Feel the bottom of the piece and you'll find a slightly raised area. I was able to pop the piece off with my thumb nail so I didn't scratch anything.

The place you insert the key is fairly deep and is hard to see. Best bet is to sit on the ground and look for the key insert. Turn the key a few times to the left and look and listen for the trunk to unlatch. The trunk won't raise very much and when it unatches, it won't make much of a sound. With that, look and listen carefully.

When you think the trunk is unlatched, stand up, and try to raise the trunk from the middle, right where the license plate is. If it doesn't open, sit down and repeat the above re the key. It might take a few times. The key is difficult to turn, but don't break it. Spray some WD40 into it if won't turn.

When you lift the trunk, make sure you do from the middle as described above. It's very heavy, but I was able to lift it, and I'm 70 yrs old and out of shape.

Inside the trunk, on the left hand side, there will be a small carpetted "flap". Pull it to open it. Inside this flap will be two handles. Gently, but firmly, pull the handle that's towards the front of the car. Don't yank on it because your pissed off at this point. You'll feel a little difference in the tension on the handle, which means the driver's door has opened!!!

Congratulations! You can now open the hood and recharge your battery.

Make sure you replace the carpetted flap, remove the key, and replace the square rectangular plastic cap on the bumper.

Once you car will start, make sure the trunk is fully down and latched, before you drive it. Also make sure you unplugged the battery charger and made sure the hood was latched.

I hope this helps. I'll never again forget to use my trickle battery charger again!!! This procedure is a royal pain!!!

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts