Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I went out to start the XLR and nothing. Accessed the battery and read 3 volts. It had been one week since I last ran it which is the longest it has sat since we have owned it. The battery is 3 months old. I looked carefully for a cause after slow charging the battery. I noticed that the drivers window switch was stuck in the down position. It seems to stick intermittently and I am going to take care of it. The window was up however, so I must have bumped it on the way out and after opening the door. I don't think that caused the drain but I have noticed that the interior light switch can be activated and the interior lights will stay on seemingly forever (surprisingly) when I leave the car, instead of timing out. Maybe I should give it more time as a test. The switch is also just a momentary contact leaving no evidence of whether the lights were on or off! The map lights in contrast have a two position switch like an ink pen, they were off. Just bought a two bank battery tender for this and my other seasonal ride for the winter following the advice of the elders. Am I wrong about the interior lights? Gonna go out and try it again.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Last weekend I went out to start the XLR and nothing. Accessed the battery and read 3 volts. It had been one week since I last ran it which is the longest it has sat since we have owned it. The battery is 3 months old. I looked carefully for a cause after slow charging the battery. I noticed that the drivers window switch was stuck in the down position. It seems to stick intermittently and I am going to take care of it. The window was up however, so I must have bumped it on the way out and after opening the door. I don't think that caused the drain but I have noticed that the interior light switch can be activated and the interior lights will stay on seemingly forever (surprisingly) when I leave the car, instead of timing out. Maybe I should give it more time as a test. The switch is also just a momentary contact leaving no evidence of whether the lights were on or off! The map lights in contrast have a two position switch like an ink pen, they were off. Just bought a two bank battery tender for this and my other seasonal ride for the winter following the advice of the elders. Am I wrong about the interior lights? Gonna go out and try it again.

Dave
I agree with your assessment.

The electrical system should time out. You can test this with the radio. It will cut off after the prescribed time.

As far as the switch, yes it could cause the battery to go dead if it was stuck in one position or another but the timeout feature should over ride that.

The battery tender should keep you running but as you know if you don't know how long you can go between charges you will need to be able to return to recharge it or you might get caught with a dead battery again.

The dealer can run some diagnostics with his Tech II to determine what the source of the drain is or if a ground wire is either loose or has fallen off.

CC will check in here and with his service manual should bring some additional perspective to the issue.

Regards

Jerry

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
129 Posts
Have the battery tested. A small percentage of new batteries fail within their first year of use. At 3 months, you should be eligible for a free replacement.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm going to solve the "battery problems" in the bud - I just ordered an Odyssey PC1230. I'll put it in next weekend...

I've had great success with AGM batteries on our boat, waverunner , and the Allante, so I decided to do it here as well...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interior Courtesy Lights Stay on too long

I've called on this situation to the service department and they said that if you have the fob with you that the interior lights and the ignition light will stay on as long as you are nearby. Unfortunately, I'm noticing that is not the case. It seems that even without the fob in hand, or in my pocket, the lights, etc continue to stay on for about 20 minutes. Is there anything under options that can adjust this or is it inherent in the car's electrical system?

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
I've called on this situation to the service department and they said that if you have the fob with you that the interior lights and the ignition light will stay on as long as you are nearby. Unfortunately, I'm noticing that is not the case. It seems that even without the fob in hand, or in my pocket, the lights, etc continue to stay on for about 20 minutes. Is there anything under options that can adjust this or is it inherent in the car's electrical system?

Vic

NOT for 20 minutes!! Take it in and let them find out whats going on. It could be as simple as a bad relay or the time delay switch.

Also many batteries are not fully charged when you purchase them. The battery vendor and the store rely on your alternator to do the job over time.

As you know we have been recommending that members experiencing these type of electrical problems buy a Battery Tender (the product name) If you use this product to trickle charge your battery it will reach full charge over night in many instances. Many members reconnect the "Tender" if the car will be sitting for even short periods of time. It is fairly easy to determine that over time if the first charge took say over night before the solid grren fully charged light turned on and the second was less, you are heading in the right direction. For $59.95 or so it is well worth the investment. I have one and rotate it from the "V" to my motorcycles and other toys.

Regards

Jerry

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
343 Posts
NOT for 20 minutes!! Take it in and let them find out whats going on. It could be as simple as a bad relay or the time delay switch.
Is this a manifestation of the problem of pushing the button on the dash that turns the lights on? The 20 minutes is the XLR's power saver cutting in and switching them off. Push the interior lights button once and see if that fixes it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts