Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure most of you have seen the coverage of the new CTS-V which will be coming out in late 2004. It is the performance version (V-Series) of the the CTS sedan. I would imagine this gives some insight into the future of the XLR V-Series, as GM has also mentioned their plans to build one.

The CTS-V will also be dear to many of us Corvette owners, as it uses the same LS6 engine as the Z06. The car should simply rock.

Here is a nice article about the CTS-V:

http://www.cars.com/carsapp/nationa...003/coverage/ny/posted/coverage_04_15_02.tmpl

The article claims that the CTS-V is a competitor to the BMW M3, and it surely is in price, but size-wise and performance-wise it is actually closer to the BMW M5. The CTS-V is supposed to be priced right around $50k, so the M5 is going to have some stiff competition (The M5 will have less HP and torque, weigh nearly 200 lbs more, and cost about $25k more).

Also, check Autoweek for some really nice photos.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and tell me this isn't cool:

The instrument panel includes two Driver Information Center displays, the left-hand instance of which shows some of the requisite high-performance readings such as oil temperature and pressure — and some unique ones, including peak and instantaneous lateral acceleration.
:cool

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would have beat you to the punch if it hadn't taken four days to get my account activated.

Now that the V-series CTS with a 400 HP Corvette engine has been announced, I wonder how long it will take Cadillac to announce a V-series XLR with a Gen IV Corvette engine? Just a thought. ;)

Duke

·
Registered
34 Posts
The article claims that the CTS-V is a competitor to the BMW M3, and it surely is in price, but size-wise and performance-wise it is actually closer to the BMW M5. The CTS-V is supposed to be priced right around $50k, so the M5 is going to have some stiff competition (The M5 will have less HP and torque, weigh nearly 200 lbs more, and cost about $25k more).
This situation won't last long. A new 5-series is due to arrive soon, with a new M5 right behind it. The new M5 should smoke the CTSv like a cheap cigar.

CTSv is rightly considered an M3 competitor. That it offers a good value against the current M5 doesn't make it a competitor. Guys who are considering buying an M5 aren't going to buy a CTSv instead -- they'll stick with the current M5 or wait to see how the new M5 looks.

.Jinx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point on the new M5 around the bend. I am sure they will nicely boost performance again. Of course, it will still cost $25k+ more.

As for M5 buyers not considering the CTS-V, I am sure you are right that the majority will not. However, from a BMW forum I visit, it seemed that a lot of the current M5 owners were interested. Some claimed to hate it, but several mentioned they would have to consider it when it comes out.

Nevertheless, it will surely take Cadillac at least 3-5 more years before most Euro buyers will even consider a Cadillac. Perhaps after they completely revamp their lineup with the next iterations of the STS, DTS and Escalade, they might be able to get equal respect. Surely the attitudes on Cadillac are changing fast, but it will still take time. Good news is, it looks like Cadillac is this for the long haul.

·
Registered
34 Posts
yellowZ06 said:
Nevertheless, it will surely take Cadillac at least 3-5 more years before most Euro buyers will even consider a Cadillac. Perhaps after they completely revamp their lineup with the next iterations of the STS, DTS and Escalade, they might be able to get equal respect.
The European buyers are not looking at the Escalade, except to laugh at what a crazy place America must be.

CTSv is a good start. What impresses me is that the car's being built at all. Ten years ago such a mutant would have been considered a step backwards.

.Jinx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the confusion, was not referring to buyers in Europe, but buyers of European cars in the US. In that regards, the Escalade has done quite well. Per GM's own research the #1 companion car to the Escalade is a M-B S-Class.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts