Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting an off and on coolant leak. It will discharge on the passenger side of the motor. It will go weeks with out a leak and then it will leak again. I have been checking but can not find any residue that would indicate where the origin is. The radiator and reservoir have been replaced earlier and no leaks for a while after that but now this is in a different area. Anybody else seen anything like this.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Over the years, there has been many discussions on thistopic on the forum, Let me repost my last comment from the "2004 Coolant leak thread"

Affected 04/06 regular XLR
We have seen 5 XLRs start to leak from the radiator the day after it was brought in. What usually happends, is after the vehicle sits overnight and the radiator gets to room temp, the seam leaks due to the metal contracting exposing a gap, where the side reservoir tanks are welded to the radiator core.

Usually on the left lower corner of the Radiator. Thats the reason all 2007 XLRs received the larger XLR-V radiator as standard equipment. When a radiator is replaced on an 04/06 regular XLR, it is replaced with the same larger radiator.

It is quite a site to see a car up in the air for 24 hours, and then it starts to leak.

www.Cadillac-XLR.com

Thanks
Allen

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Not sure if this is your problem, but my 09 XLR-V showed a low coolant warning the day after I brought her home. I took it in and the tech found and fixed the problem in about 5 minutes. It seems that the clamp on the hose leading from the coolant reservoir was loose. I don't know the name of the type of clamp, but it's the kind that you squeeze to open and just release it to clamp down on the hose. The tech told me that he has seen the problem a few times before. He said that he believes that the tool used to install the lamps at the factory sometimes over squeezes the clamp causing it to lose some of it's grip. He replaced the clamp with a regualr clamp that you screww on tight and the problem disapeared.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It now appears that the water pump is the culprit. car is in the shop now and they are replacing it along with the cam shaft seals as they found an oil leak also.

·
Registered
74 Posts
smell coolant

I just purchased an 05 XLR with 39k on the odo. I smell coolant but I dont see leaks or overheating. The wife was driving it and said she smelled it too. I have until 7/09 for warranty work on this car...is this something that is covered under warranty?
Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have a 2005 xlr with 8000 miles, brought it out of the garage in jan to stretch its legs and found puddle under where radiator would be. got under and saw along the bottom of radiator a hint of radiator fluid, then the almighty low coolant message came on. called my dealer (great people to deal with) brought car in they put it on rack, pressure tested, the whole bit addded 6 oz of coolant, but couldnt find leak. they said to watch it, (warranty expires this Jun), i have been "watching" it and finally the other day i pulled it out of garage and there was the puddle back. So i guess back to the dealer it goes, any ideas of where i can guide them to or just insist they replace the radiator before the warranty runs out. thanks everybody for any input.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Dunerider:

When you get a chance, please go back thru the postings on this issue.

Many of the 2004's and 2005's had to eventually have the radiator replaced (now using the "V" radiator).

Also there have been upper radiator hose leaks (required tightening of a clamp)
A crossover hose that needed the same thing and replacement of the water pump (bad seal).

Please remind the technican that there is a database for thies issues that the dealers have access to. OUR database is here. Ha, Ha.

Don't nap on this one. It is all covered on your warranty.

Please post your fix when it is obtained.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts