Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with help is much appreciated. Here is whats happening. The coolant in my car is leaking forming a puddle under the car AFTER the car is parked. If you fill it up, it remains in the tank without leaking. However after I drive around day after day, it leaks on the floor, I drive it up, they re-fill it, and im out the door with them saying its buring coolant/they cant find a leak. I was getting annoyed with the dealer so I would randomly just fill the coolant whenever it is low but now with the weather getting colder, it seems to be happening more frequently. I have the V radiator in my car already from the radiator having previous problems. Has this happened to anyone else and or does anyone know whats going on??...If I didnt fill the tank myself it would go to the point its 100% out of coolant. Thanks again guys for taking time to help me out................

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Anyone with help is much appreciated. Here is whats happening. The coolant in my car is leaking forming a puddle under the car AFTER the car is parked. If you fill it up, it remains in the tank without leaking. However after I drive around day after day, it leaks on the floor, I drive it up, they re-fill it, and im out the door with them saying its buring coolant/they cant find a leak. I was getting annoyed with the dealer so I would randomly just fill the coolant whenever it is low but now with the weather getting colder, it seems to be happening more frequently. I have the V radiator in my car already from the radiator having previous problems. Has this happened to anyone else and or does anyone know whats going on??...If I didnt fill the tank myself it would go to the point its 100% out of coolant. Thanks again guys for taking time to help me out................
WELCOME!!

It may be the water pump. It doesn't take long for them to find out AND it isn't a major event replacing it.

Regards

Jerry

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Jerry's right; if it's the water pump, (or even another radiator leak) replacement isn't a big deal. And yes, the leak won't magically go away, no matter how many times you top off the cooling system; in fact, it could get worse!

It's pretty sad if a dealer can't diagnose a simple coolant leak.

The alternator, mounted to the lower part of the engine is water-cooled. If it needs to be replaced, you're looking at a significant repair bill. Pray that it's the water pump!

CC :seeya

·
Registered
13 Posts
it cant be this difficult to find

I have this pesky coolant leak but i cant seem to find it. This weekend we took a two hour drive to a friends house and when i went back to the car a few hours later there was a puddle under the car. Looked everywhere and could only see white residue on the hoses and sway bar where the coolant had evaporated. Checked the coolant, drove it home and parked and now no leak?? I did notice that today the temp gauge was about 20 degrees lower than yesterday (driving a bit harder yesterday). I am assuming that maybe the pressure didnt get high enough in the system today to cause a leak. I will keep looking but if i cant find it i guess a trip to the dealer is in my future. I smell coolant every time i open the hood, but have never seen any wet areas.

·
Registered
62 Posts
hi, the dealer can pressure test the cooling system if there's a leak it should show up. lwater leaks are hard to find w/o pressure testing, there's a lot of "stuff'" in the engine bay. good luck, Al :) ps: had water leak, pump replaced last week,39k, all good.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a 'burnt coolant odor' but do not loose any coolant. Had the car into the local dealer for 'a tapping noise in the valvetrain' and they ended up replacing the long block. Yes the entire car was torn apart for 7 weeks. Since bringing it home the car has had this bad odor. My garage is attached to the house and every time I open that door I smell 'hot old POS Cadillac". Drove it 600 + miles to Calif and back with the odor (and the check engine light on the last 150 miles) Today I have (aprox) 1100 miles with the new motor and I still have the odor. I have taken it back 4 times (bad hose clamps, bad hoses, water pump, A/C compressor, etc) durring this ordeal and I'm really tired of the BS. Never any drips on the floor, but this motor runs at a higher temp than the old one and this ODOR. IMHO the dealer spilled coolant in the valley and is too lazy to clean up the mess. I'm ready to go to Calif and a new dealer's service department.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have this pesky coolant leak but i cant seem to find it. This weekend we took a two hour drive to a friends house and when i went back to the car a few hours later there was a puddle under the car. Looked everywhere and could only see white residue on the hoses and sway bar where the coolant had evaporated. Checked the coolant, drove it home and parked and now no leak?? I did notice that today the temp gauge was about 20 degrees lower than yesterday (driving a bit harder yesterday). I am assuming that maybe the pressure didnt get high enough in the system today to cause a leak. I will keep looking but if i cant find it i guess a trip to the dealer is in my future. I smell coolant every time i open the hood, but have never seen any wet areas.
Long range diagnosis is always tricky, but "water pump" seems a reasonable starting point. It is a known weakness (if you haven't been upgraded already) and is not difficult to change. You could also make sure all the hoses are tightened up, it does happen that one is not as tight as it should be.

Just to eliminate the possibility, you could have a chemical check for head gasket failure (test the coolant for combustion products), it is quick and easy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone ever tried a radiator stop leak product in their xlr? I have tried in daily beater cars but not sure if I should in the xlr.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
You can try to fix it cheap --or right, but no matter what, eventually you're going to have to fix it right.

I have yet to see a "liquid" fix surpass a mechanical one. Place anything other than GM-recommended fluids in the Northstar and you're asking for Big Trouble.

Radiators for the XLR are relatively cheap --less than two hundred bucks. The most expensive cooling-related repair for this car has to be the generator replacement.

CC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts