Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought I would take a picture of what I've been gripping about for over a year.
Keep in mind that the temperature in the car was 79 F
The temperature outside the car was 82 F
I also have those pics, but can only put one here.

·
Banned
161 Posts
That just amazes us! We've been following this subject for some time and as a result, maybe we've become sensitized, we're constantly feeling the console and the gear shift lever. They're never hot or even warm, regardless of the outside temperature. Why could there be such a difference between your experiences and ours?

Best regards,
Ed and Sandra

·
Registered
333 Posts
Is it possible that some thing maybe an exhaust pipe is touching your undercarrage? Mine is cool as the rest of the car. I have a late production 04. No issues. If you put it on a lift maybe the part drops away. Can you get it on a lift that the wheels drive on so the weight is still on the tires? Then get under it and take some pictures around the center tunnel. There has to be something. Maybe a mounting bolt that is near the console? There has to be something different from mine and many others.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
To answer upstate & Ed & Sandra,

As you know, I'm not the only person that has had issues with this problem. I wish I could tell you what the difference is, but this isn't half the story. It was at least 140 to 150 while driving across the desert in over 100 degree temps.
I had it on a lift and saw two gaps on either side of the plate that's under the console. If those gaps where closed it might stop the heat from coming up into the console...............But then, why didn't GM look at this and try to fix this?

upstate said:
Is it possible that some thing maybe an exhaust pipe is touching your undercarrage? Mine is cool as the rest of the car. I have a late production 04. No issues. If you put it on a lift maybe the part drops away. Can you get it on a lift that the wheels drive on so the weight is still on the tires? Then get under it and take some pictures around the center tunnel. There has to be something. Maybe a mounting bolt that is near the console? There has to be something different from mine and many others.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine was made in 11 03. I haven't had the overheating problem on the console even as I drove thru the Mojave desert in early august with outside temps well above 100 for over 5 hours. The console never seemed warm to me and the water bottle in the cup holders didnt seem to get overly warm. I wonder what the difference is that some cars have the problem and others don't.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My 2004 had the console heat problem and like Bob I was told by the dealer that nothing could be done.
My 2005, however, does not have the problem in the console but sure does in the compartment behind the seats where the top is stored. It is so hot there that anything that can melt, will. :flag

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Jack & friends of the forum,

Some of you have been very kind in mentioning that your cars don't have the console heat issue without thinking I have lost it, and I appreciate that.

I don't mean to be running this into the ground, but I just wanted you all to see the picture, so you didn't think I was feeling or seeing things. We old people have a tendency to exaggerate.

O" boy, I bet That will stir up a hornets nest.
See, I told you.

jackewells said:
My 2004 had the console heat problem and like Bob I was told by the dealer that nothing could be done.
My 2005, however, does not have the problem in the console but sure does in the compartment behind the seats where the top is stored. It is so hot there that anything that can melt, will. :flag

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
standby said:
Jack & friends of the forum,

Some of you have been very kind in mentioning that your cars don't have the console heat issue without thinking I have lost it, and I appreciate that.

I don't mean to be running this into the ground, but I just wanted you all to see the picture, so you didn't think I was feeling or seeing things. We old people have a tendency to exaggerate.

O" boy, I bet That will stir up a hornets nest.
See, I told you.
Hi Bob,
I trust what you`re saying if you would be 24, 72 or 87 and you not just saying it, you are showing it too. 132° that`s anything else than normal.
What production number was your car? you can see this on your vin, the last four digits says it. My XLR was the 3355 th build for model year 2004, was build around april/may I would say. Please let me know!

Hans

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
3738 her Hans, which is in line with the months you mentioned. I bought in mid July 04.

Did you ever notice that 1 to 2 inch gap on either side of the splash pan that's under the console? I think that's where the heat is getting in and gets trapped in there. If that where filled in I think that might do the trick or some kind of heat prtotection material fastened to the underside of that plate, just above the exhaust............why can't these engineers figure this out and at least try something.
bob
harrysxlr said:
Hi Bob,
I trust what you`re saying if you would be 24, 72 or 87 and you not just saying it, you are showing it too. 132° that`s anything else than normal.
What production number was your car? you can see this on your vin, the last four digits says it. My XLR was the 3355 th build for model year 2004, was build around april/may I would say. Please let me know!

Hans

·
Registered
484 Posts
Steel Drive Shaft Tube Cause of Console Heat

(below is one of 2 posts so I can show the interior drive shaft tube and steel tunnel)

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the console heat. The reason is smiple. Due to the driveshaft running from the front engine, to the rear transmission. The drive shaft is housed in round silver colored tourque tube.

This tube is bolted to the engine in the front and the transmission to the rear. This strong tube acts like a spine connecting the front to the rear in a straight line, so U-joints are not needed. Another huge benefit is the solidity that is added to the hydroformed frame of the XLR.

The great news is that the round drive shaft tube is then encased in a steel tunnel that acts like a backbone, to help eliminate any twisting that can happen in a traditional convertible.

As you can see by the attached photo, that the steel tunnel is only milimeters from the carpetiting that attaches to it. For 2006 the sides are slightly insulated by a heat reflective material, there is not enough room to do any type of insulation to the top area, especially around the cup holders.

To have a body structure able to accomodate the performance and solidity the XLR displays, while retaining the state of the art quality ride, were the reasons for the type of construction used on the chassis.

www.Cadillac-XLR.com

Thank you
Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
Steel Drive Shaft Tube Cause of Console Heat 2 of 2

(Below is second of 2 posts so I can show the interior drive shaft tube and steel tunnel) Different photo attached.

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the console heat. The reason is smiple. Due to the driveshaft running from the front engine, to the rear transmission. The drive shaft is housed in round silver colored tourque tube.

This tube is bolted to the engine in the front and the transmission to the rear. This strong tube acts like a spine connecting the front to the rear in a straight line, so U-joints are not needed. Another huge benefit is the solidity that is added to the hydroformed frame of the XLR.

The great news is that the round drive shaft tube is then encased in a steel tunnel that acts like a backbone, to help eliminate any twisting that can happen in a traditional convertible.

As you can see by the attached photo, that the steel tunnel is only milimeters from the carpetiting that attaches to it. For 2006 the sides are slightly insulated by a heat reflective material, there is not enough room to do any type of insulation to the top area, especially around the cup holders.

To have a body structure able to accomodate the performance and solidity the XLR displays, while retaining the state of the art quality ride, were the reasons for the type of construction used on the chassis.

www.Cadillac-XLR.com

Thank you
Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Solution?

Allen

You have accurately identified the problem or the cause of the heat. However, the solution seems to be lacking. You mentioned there is not enough room for insultation.

What about porting an A/C or air duct in this area to cool or carry the heat away?
Someone else mentioned this a while back.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Steel Drive Shaft Tube Cause of Console Heat

Actually your dealer can order some of the material for the sides of the console. Your dealer service manager would simply talk to their Cadillac area service manager. They can have the material sent to the dealer for your vehicle.

It is not available to order through the parts dept. It is designed to fit under the leather like material at the top/sides of the console. It can be inserted on a 2004/2005 and is already installed on the 2006 models.

www.Cadillac-XLR.com

Thank you
Allen

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Mr XLR,
I can appreciate your time and manner in getting a good point across. However, why not Y a vent tube and send cold air down through the console. I'm not an engineer, but many times I have had to throw the blue prints away in order to accomplish my goal. I just think they should be more open to suggestions and our complaints.
Thanks for the post
Bob

Mr XLR said:
(Below is second of 2 posts so I can show the interior drive shaft tube and steel tunnel) Different photo attached.

Thank you
Allen

G

·
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Already been done

That's been done to my 04 vehicle by GM. This was the first and only fix that has been tried and they and I have decided that this didn't work because the heat is so intense that it filters by the space age materiial and gets even more trapped.
How about Y--ing a vent tube and sending the cold air inside the console? Cold drinks stay cold in the summer and hot drinks stay warm in the winter...
Sorry eyedoc, I guess we where writing at the same time.
Bob
XLR I FL said:
Alan:

Why not some insulation under the console in the interior?? Some of that thin reflective stuff just may do the trick and should fit with no problems.

Regards

·
Registered
535 Posts
:jester Why not do what software programmers have been doing for years. Call it a feature! "Keeps your hot drinks hot!" :glol

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Gee, if only I liked coffee, but I'm a bit partial to cold water, but that's a good idea...................A special feature, hell, they'll want to charge extra for it.

Bob

Quixotic said:
:jester Why not do what software programmers have been doing for years. Call it a feature! "Keeps your hot drinks hot!" :glol

·
Registered
477 Posts
Very strange...

standby said:
Just thought I would take a picture of what I've been gripping about for over a year.
Keep in mind that the temperature in the car was 79 F
The temperature outside the car was 82 F.

standby: Don't like coffee? Try cocoa.

My console gets a little warm, but not nearly what you are indicating - and our ambient is HOT around here. I understand the "coffee warmer feature" is the same on the new C6 Corvette.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts