Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a 2006 with 54000 KM.Her husband bought it for her. I can import it from Canada pretty easily. there is two things wrong with it. Fuel gauge not working but the range remaining works. Also the AC/Idler pulley needs to be replaced.
she has had this car for six years very little driving. Price is right $18K USD and it is a XLRV Black on Black garaged kept.

Regarding parts, cost of owning and repairs should i buy or Bail ? its for her Sister in law (My Wife)

Thoughts comments?

·
Registered
91 Posts
the fuel problem sometimes can be repaired by running some gas additives like tectron . otherwise it requires pulling the tank. About a 2000 dollar job. The power steering pumps fail and I repair them and the pulleys that are non existent. About 6-700. The tensioner is about 400 and is still available from GM. If it has been run for a while being bad it puts a hammer effect on the pulley with the supercharger coming on and off boast that strips out the pulley and the gear on the pump. .Other than a few problems the V is a great car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Its a 2006 with 54000 KM.Her husband bought it for her. I can import it from Canada pretty easily. there is two things wrong with it. Fuel gauge not working but the range remaining works. Also the AC/Idler pulley needs to be replaced.
she has had this car for six years very little driving. Price is right $18K USD and it is a XLRV Black on Black garaged kept.

Regarding parts, cost of owning and repairs should i buy or Bail ? its for her Sister in law (My Wife)

Thoughts comments?
I have a 2005 XLR money pit. Had for five years. I run it for 7 months out of the year. 125k for mileage. Ran me close to 2k a year in repairs each year. The latest is the leaf spring repair. 800 dollar repair. But we love the car. Fun to drive.
Had the same problem with the fuel gauge. The fix for me was to let the second tank run down. Pour in a bottle of Tectron. Then I ran a small airline down the gas tank to stir things up. Gas gauge works fine now. Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
The price sounds good, but the shipping, registering, and hard to get parts need to be weighed. I suggest searching parts and cost.
Finding parts is a dealbreaker for me. Sold my 2004 primarily because parts were not available. Door buttons (inside) were not available anywhere I looked and the lever on the floor was the only way out. Seat upholstery was just not available. Loved the car from first delivery in December 2003 but it was starting to get expensive! And yes, dropping the gas tank to repair the pump was well over $2000!
DIC display faded out. Turned into a real money pit!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finding parts is a dealbreaker for me. Sold my 2004 primarily because parts were not available. Door buttons (inside) were not available anywhere I looked and the lever on the floor was the only way out. Seat upholstery was just not available. Loved the car from first delivery in December 2003 but it was starting to get expensive! And yes, dropping the gas tank to repair the pump was well over $2000!
DIC display faded out. Turned into a real money pit!
Yep, it’s a car you live in fear of. Will it start in the morning? What’s going to happen next? I’m glad I’ve got my kids inheritance to take care of the problems. LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thoughts comments?
If it is actually a XLR-V it’s a steal,
regardless of misc issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thoughts comments?
I have owned a 2004 XLR for 11 years, current miles 130k. My DD. I love this car and have done much work over the years. As mentioned, parts is an issue. Particularly body parts, head and tail lights as well. A friend has a V, he ended up buying a wrecked V from a Copart auction, stripped it and stored the parts. With regard to the gas gauge, mine quit around 75k, $2k is a realistic price to replace the relays. I fed it Tectron for probably 10 fill ups., and stopped. I would just watch my odometer and fill up every 250 miles. I wasn't prepared to spend $2k on the repair. One day I filled up, about 85k, it started working and has been fine ever since. All in all a fun car and wherever you go people ask about the V. Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts