Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again I come to you oh great ones.... I am leaving in a few hours to get my XLR. I don't think it is certified pre owned, however, it is coming from a GM dealer and is an 06 with 10k. My question is: does it have to be certified? or because it is an 06', is the factory warranty cover me since the in-service date still gives me until 2010? I was also thinking of purchasing an extended warranty from GM or Cadillac later. Any wonderful words of wisdom? Much appreciated! Cheers!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Again I come to you oh great ones.... I am leaving in a few hours to get my XLR. I don't think it is certified pre owned, however, it is coming from a GM dealer and is an 06 with 10k. My question is: does it have to be certified? or because it is an 06', is the factory warranty cover me since the in-service date still gives me until 2010? I was also thinking of purchasing an extended warranty from GM or Cadillac later. Any wonderful words of wisdom? Much appreciated! Cheers!
OK, my .02:

Yes, you will have the remainder of the new car warranty, that being said, you would definitely improve your chances of a much happier relationship with your X if it were Certified, which would increase the length of the warranty considerably! You say you're buying from a GM dealer, although you didn't mention if it is a Cadillac dealer. A Cadillac dealer, I believe, is the only dealership able to Certify your X. If it were Certified there would be no need to purchase an extended warranty. If you've spent some time here on the Forum you'll have come to realize the importance of a warranty!

Don't let the "heat of the moment" cloud your reasoning, I know it may be very difficult, but extremely important in the long run!

Best of luck,
Floyd

·
Registered
251 Posts
Floyd, your .02 may be worth at least $2000.02 in no time for the future owner.

SilverX

OK, my .02:

Don't let the "heat of the moment" cloud your reasoning, I know it may be very difficult, but extremely important in the long run!

Best of luck,
Floyd

·
Registered
78 Posts
Many Cadillac dealers will sell the car either way- certified or uncertified. The certification cost varies from store to store, and typically runs around $1800, plus or minus a couple of hundred dollars. If the one you want isn't certified, ask. Or vice versa.

According to a GMPP rep I spoke with, their Major Guard (extended) warranty also covers the electrical part of the top mechanism, so that's another option. That price will vary depending upon the car's mileage, deductible (if any) and some other factors. The cost might be similar, significantly more or considerably less.

·
Registered
37 Posts
gmpp warrenty

Many Cadillac dealers will sell the car either way- certified or uncertified. The certification cost varies from store to store, and typically runs around $1800, plus or minus a couple of hundred dollars. If the one you want isn't certified, ask. Or vice versa.

According to a GMPP rep I spoke with, their Major Guard (extended) warranty also covers the electrical part of the top mechanism, so that's another option. That price will vary depending upon the car's mileage, deductible (if any) and some other factors. The cost might be similar, significantly more or considerably less.
Has anybody bought the extended warrenty? And if so did you buy on line or diredt from dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Has anybody bought the extended warrenty? And if so did you buy on line or diredt from dealer.
Floyd gave you the accurate information on the Certified Warranty. It can only be done by a Cadillac Dealer. It is rather extensive and essentially updates the car to current specs as far as software and all GM Bulletins are concerned.

It actually extends your existing factory bumper to bumper warranty provisions longer. The only small issue is that Oil Services are now "on you" when the original 4 year warranty runs out. You still get a loaner though.

The dealer should be willing to discuss the Pro's and Con's of both types of warranty's with you. It makes good business sense to make you a happy XLR owner. You just may buy another one.

There is a thread on this subject that you can search on and reference--most of the information was written by Mr. XLR who has been most helpful over the years in many of these types of issues.

Read some, and ask more questions until you are satisfied you have what you need to make the best choice for you.

Regards

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think it would be a waste of money to pay for certification as long as you have the factory warranty, which you will then follow up by purchasing an extended warranty just before your factory coverage runs out. I'll paste something I posted about a year ago:
"
1) I already KNOW that Major Guard is the way to go.
2) I already KNOW that you have to purchase it before the factory warranty expires, in terms of time or mileage.

My confusion was about WHEN is the best time to purchase it. I spent a couple of hours today looking at offers from online dealers (not the crap policies, only bonafide GMPP's from dealers who you can verify with GM). If I understand the rules now, it is NOT in my best interest to buy the plan now. Same goes for Galen, since you have a 2005. For 2004 owners, you should buy the plan right now, before Oct. 1, if you want the longest ultimate coverage. Here's why:

I agree with Galen that if I start having a series of very expensive repairs, which is a real possibility as such a sophisticated vehicle ages, it will be a messy divorce! So, to make life simple, let's assume that we want the longest coverage period, with the most miles. At this time, for a 2005, that would be 7 years from the day you buy the policy and 70,000 miles, added on to what your odometer reads when you buy the policy. I plugged in 2004, (to simulate having a car that is one year older) and there is absolutely no difference in price, and you can still purchase exactly the same policy. Thus, if 2005 owners wait until next year, their final expiration date will be a year later and they will be covered for a higher total mileage. I did the same thing for a CTS so that I could enter a 2003 model year, and at that point, things changed dramatically. The maximum plan they will give you is 4 yrs and 72k. So if my understanding is correct, any 2004 owner who wants 7 yrs coverage should sign up now, but the best deal for 2005 owners is to wait till next year, but no longer than that. One caveat for anyone is that everything above holds true as long as you have less than 36k miles when you purchase the plan. At that point, you go into the next tier as far as prices and coverage limits.

As far as certification goes, that's a whole different story. Since you get 6 years coverage from the inservice date, not the date of purchase, you are spending a lot of money for only a relatively short coverage period (2 extra years) if you buy a 2005 since you already have the exact same coverage until 2009 for free. The only advantage is for people who are going to exceed the 50k original warranty mileage limit real soon.

If I am correct, and it is best for anyone with a 2005 and later to not buy a GMPP now, that explains why I could not get a straight story from a single dealer, they want to make their money now, not next year.

The two big online dealers that I found were Pion and Roberson. Pion has the best prices, by a couple of hundred bucks. Also, I think that Roberson gave me some misinformation.

If Mr. XLR tells me that I am wrong, or if he can beat Pion's prices, I will publicly apologize and buy the plan from him right now!

One last thing, a local dealer agreed, after I explained my reasoning, that it was in my best interest to wait until Oct 08. I hope he is right, in that the decreased coverage limits are based on three model years later, not the three year anniversary of your in -service date (mine is June, 05.)"

Hope this is helpful to anyone else trying to sort this out.

aerobat

G

·
Could you give us some quotes so when I go in with my 06 I won't get a woopin, as Ken would say, down thar in the south. Hey Ken did you sell your teeth, I might have a buyer for you, but this person has to step up by themselves.
Bobo
I think it would be a waste of money to pay for certification as long as you have the factory warranty, which you will then follow up by purchasing an extended warranty just before your factory coverage runs out. I'll paste something I posted about a year ago:
"
2) I already KNOW that you have to purchase it before the factory warranty expires, in terms of time or mileage.

My confusion was about WHEN is the best time to purchase it. I spent a couple of hours today looking at offers from online dealers (not the crap policies, only bonafide GMPP's from dealers who you can verify with GM). If I understand the rules now, it is NOT in my best interest to buy the plan now. Same goes for Galen, since you have a 2005. For 2004 owners, you should buy the plan right now, before Oct. 1, if you want the longest ultimate coverage. Here's why:

I agree with Galen that if I start having a series of very expensive repairs, which is a real possibility as such a sophisticated vehicle ages, it will be a messy divorce! So, to make life simple, let's assume that we want the longest coverage period, with the most miles. At this time, for a 2005, that would be 7 years from the day you buy the policy and 70,000 miles, added on to what your odometer reads when you buy the policy. I plugged in 2004, (to simulate having a car that is one year older) and there is absolutely no difference in price, and you can still purchase exactly the same policy. Thus, if 2005 owners wait until next year, their final expiration date will be a year later and they will be covered for a higher total mileage. I did the same thing for a CTS so that I could enter a 2003 model year, and at that point, things changed dramatically. The maximum plan they will give you is 4 yrs and 72k. So if my understanding is correct, any 2004 owner who wants 7 yrs coverage should sign up now, but the best deal for 2005 owners is to wait till next year, but no longer than that. One caveat for anyone is that everything above holds true as long as you have less than 36k miles when you purchase the plan. At that point, you go into the next tier as far as prices and coverage limits.

As far as certification goes, that's a whole different story. Since you get 6 years coverage from the inservice date, not the date of purchase, you are spending a lot of money for only a relatively short coverage period (2 extra years) if you buy a 2005 since you already have the exact same coverage until 2009 for free. The only advantage is for people who are going to exceed the 50k original warranty mileage limit real soon.

If I am correct, and it is best for anyone with a 2005 and later to not buy a GMPP now, that explains why I could not get a straight story from a single dealer, they want to make their money now, not next year.

The two big online dealers that I found were Pion and Roberson. Pion has the best prices, by a couple of hundred bucks. Also, I think that Roberson gave me some misinformation.

If Mr. XLR tells me that I am wrong, or if he can beat Pion's prices, I will publicly apologize and buy the plan from him right now!

One last thing, a local dealer agreed, after I explained my reasoning, that it was in my best interest to wait until Oct 08. I hope he is right, in that the decreased coverage limits are based on three model years later, not the three year anniversary of your in -service date (mine is June, 05.)"

aerobat

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
"

aerobat
With either warranty option, I think it is a good barganing chip with the dealer if you are just buying the car from the dealer. Let's face it It's a Buyers Market and will continue to be for quite awhile.

I understand your point about warranty duration GMPP verses Certified but in the case of a 2004 XLR for example that was delivered 1/1/2004, the Certified policy would run for 100k miles and 6 years. That's a bumper to bumper warranty just like you had on the car when you first bought it.

After that I'm not so sure I would care since I think I would be taking delivery on a 2010 XLR-V in say August and allow the remaining 90-120 days for the next purchaser of my 2004.

So in this example, cost may be the other determinent.

Just thoughts....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
17 Posts
I looked at Major Guard a few months ago. It seems to me it specifically excluded convertible tops. What else does it exclude?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts