Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 XLR-V has only 23.000 mi check engine light indicates a CAT problem. Dealer wants 7 grand for a new exhaust system. Has anyone had any experience with the CAT cleaner or cut and replace CAT only instead of replacing the whole exhaust system?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 06 XLR-V has only 23.000 mi check engine light indicates a CAT problem. Dealer wants 7 grand for a new exhaust system. Has anyone had any experience with the CAT cleaner or cut and replace CAT only instead of replacing the whole exhaust system?
Yes I had the same problem, dealer said it was cat and I neeeded to change the cat on the left bank,.I agreed to relacing the cat on the left ban and light came back on, finally they contacted the factory and them told to change the other cat on the right side bank
It turned out to be a bad sensor on the right bank, I really did not need the cat replaced, just the sensor.
Have them replace both sensors, left fna right bank.
John Pratt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,
Thanks for your response and I apologize for not responding earlier however in the process of moving out of state. When I get settled I'm going to fu and hope that it is only a sensor problem

Keith

·
Registered
65 Posts
John
I have a 2006 V a few years back I had check engine light come on. Checked it out with my tech 2. (20,000 miles) plugged left converter. Car ran terrible at higher RPM. I checked with Cadillac and they said to change it motor had to be pulled. I ordered the part out of a GM dealer in Michigan. Had a friend change the converter in about 6 hrs. ( local repair station)) less than a thousand I had a workable XLR V
MY OLD USER WAS
V HAPPY. PS I still own it. Love the car!

·
Registered
65 Posts
[QUOTE="Robert Yania, post: 60343, member:
Kjledford
I own a2006 v. I had the same problem with check engine at about the same mileage as you. It was the right converter I ordered the header converter from a Chevy dealer out of Michigan. I have a tech 2 that spelled the converter out. There were a few people back then that swore by the cat cleaner (didn’t work). I have a friend that has a pretty big car repair facility. They changed the header converter in about 4 hours. Runs perfect ever since !(33,000 now).
there is a well known header mfg out of California that builds header cats for the XLR. I kind of wish I went in that direction back then but there supply chain wasn’t the best back them.
V Happy
PS do not pay or do what Cadillac recommends
Pull engine! Any reputable garage can change that on a car rack !
[/QUOTE]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts