Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Being a Florida resident I occasionally take my XLR to the car wash (high quality) to get the salt off instead of washing it myself.

My question is this can I leave the general area of where the car is and take the key FOB with me? The car wash people hate me since I make them keep the FOB in the car and use a supervisor to move the car around.

I am hesitent to leave it running during the wash process and do not feel comfortable leaving the key in the car in the event somebody inadvertantly locks the car with the FOB in it.

ALSO we may need to set up a check list for XLR owners who are planning to use the car wash:

1. Key FOB:

2. Be sure that the automatic wipers are turned off so that they don't come on during the wash process.

3. Turn Radio Off.

Regards.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
411 Posts
First, the good news is that unlike the new Nissan 350z, the car wash brushes will not accidentally open the doors (bet that is a surprise for a few 350z owners).

For the XLR, the answer to your question may depend upon the settings in the personalization system. If you turn the passive locking off and don't hit the lock button, the car should not lock. If you take the fob with you, then you can be sure it won't lock and you can always use the buttons on the fob to reopen it when the passive lock engages.

If you leave the car with the fob and the XLR is still running, then any attempt to shut it down will result in the "No fob, Off or Auxiliary?" message with chimes. So, that situation is covered.

Does your car wash require that you leave the car in neutral and/or running?

If it were me, I would want the fob with me (but I also have an adversion to other people/machines touching the XLR).

Andy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Two FOBs?

I usually try to carry my second FOB with me and leave it in the car when it goes through the wash line. Also, try to frequent the same car wash and be nice to the people when you "teach" them about the car. They will take care of you if you treat them decently.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you like your XLR, NEVER, and I mean NEVER take it to a car wash. You may think that everything is fine and that your car wash dones a good job. But ALL carwashes (except the ones done by hand) are hard on the paint.

The XLR is small and only takes a few minutes to wash by hand. In a years time, you will be glad you did (this goes double if you have black). The only acceptable subsitute is the Mr. CLean home auto wash. It does a great job and will not hurt the finish.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Micro scratches

I'm with Rick. No machine washers and no hands but mine touch the paint. :nono

Despite their best efforts at cleanliness, even the soft touch washes pick up sand particles from so many washes. Think about that jacked up, muddy off-road 4WD battle wagon that just went through the wash before you did. Minute pieces of sand are still there when your XLR makes its way through. :nono

The resultant thousands of micro scratches left on the surface of the clear coat will be visible after only a few washes. If you look in the clear coat reflection you'll see them.

I also only wash my XLR with softened water to minimize dissolved mineral spotting. We have a lot of solution minerals in the water in Houston
- so much so that I don't drink the stuff either. :puke

Drinking liquid preference: :cheers Corona with lime (and a little XM radio while hand waxing the XLR).

·
Banned
0 Posts
aviator said:
I'm with Rick. No machine washers and no hands but mine touch the paint. :nono

Despite their best efforts at cleanliness, even the soft touch washes pick up sand particles from so many washes. Think about that jacked up, muddy off-road 4WD battle wagon that just went through the wash before you did. Minute pieces of sand are still there when your XLR makes its way through. :nono

The resultant thousands of micro scratches left on the surface of the clear coat will be visible after only a few washes. If you look in the clear coat reflection you'll see them.

I also only wash my XLR with softened water to minimize dissolved mineral spotting. We have a lot of solution minerals in the water in Houston
- so much so that I don't drink the stuff either. :puke

Drinking liquid preference: :cheers Corona with lime (and a little XM radio while hand waxing the XLR).
Here's a quick photo from the balcony of our cabin as we plowed through the harbor right by the brewery.

Put down that Corona man, and wrap your fist around an ice-cold Pacifico....now that's what beer tastes like.....lol

·
Registered
477 Posts
mswaim said:
Put down that Corona man, and wrap your fist around an ice-cold Pacifico....now that's what beer tastes like.....lol
I'll look for it, but I can't recall seeing Pacifico around here. :cheers I'm always up to do a new brew or two.

Aviator

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK.

In Florida like the northern states in my opinion, it is good to take the car through the car wash ocassionally. The reason is the undercarrage and all of the parts under the car need to be cleaned off too to remove the corriosion contributors like salt and sand. The painted exterior areas won't be harmed if it is a good quality car wash that pays attention to frequently cleaning the soft pads and the towels they use. I agree that the thin plasic brush car washes are deadly to all cars and their painted surfaces.

In MY experience, air drying is MUCH better than towel drying since the old towels we use at our houses are capable of scratching the surface too --with or without fabric softener.

In my car wash, the car attendent needs to be able to start the car and then move it into place in the line. the car can stay in neutral and the motor can be off.
At the end of the wash and blow dry process, the car needs to be started again and moved to the final detail and towel drying area.

So, the attendend tneeds to be able to start the car (without the FOB if possible since I'll be inside paying for the service) and move it through the processes I outlined.

Regards

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts