Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So hopefully someone can tell me what in need to look for when buying a Tech2. What kind of software? What version? Best place to purchase one? Cost of one? And anything else that can help me buy one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So hopefully someone can tell me what in need to look for when buying a Tech2. What kind of software? What version? Best place to purchase one? Cost of one? And anything else that can help me buy one.
Tech-2 are Big time not like your average code reader, which is why they cost 10 X as much! Go to a dealer get a read, for free usually!

·
Registered
189 Posts
well I may disagree. The tech two clones are decent to work with and they run around 300-350 on ebay with the candi and cables. I dont know of any dealer that will read codes for free .The ones I have read about charge a minimum of one hour or 100-150$ just to check a code. Then more if they try and repair anything. If you are able to do any work at all on your car you will need the tech two to narrow down precise codes and do tons of repairs with a little help from others who have already done the repair. A dead battery that results in a needed top relearn at the dealer will cost you about what a tech 2 costs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A few years back, I bought a new Chinese Clone Tech II with a pcmia card for the XLR, w/case etc, shipped direct from China for about $500. It works quite well on my 08 XLR. Nowadays I expect they are much cheaper. I did a bing search to find a place to buy mine. As far as I can tell it is a perfect clone and works quite well and has been well worth $500 bucks. There are multiple places to buy them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A few years back, I bought a new Chinese Clone Tech II with a pcmia card for the XLR, w/case etc, shipped direct from China for about $500. It works quite well on my 08 XLR. Nowadays I expect they are much cheaper. I did a bing search to find a place to buy mine. As far as I can tell it is a perfect clone and works quite well and has been well worth $500 bucks. There are multiple places to buy them.
Problem is fixed. I befriended an old time auto mechanic who let me use his Tech2. My problem was a pinched wire around the cylinder on the drivers side. I fixed the wire and did a relearn on the top and it works like new!

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can look on Youtube.com and search for Tech 2. This guy has an alternative device that is cheaper than the standard Tech 2. It has all the software and seems to be easy to operate. He shows you on his XLR how to troubleshoot and stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts