Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual says to keep the car under 55 for the first 500 miles. Taking the Turnpike to work I am having trouble keeping it under 70. Most people drive at 80 or 90. I only have 160 miles on my car. Did all of you baby your car in the beginning?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Old

This is the same break-in that has been recommended for years.

I don't have that much freeway driving around DC, so I didn't keep it to 55.

The only thing I did for the first 500 was to not try "too many" hard accelerations or braking.

I have heard that the braking part is mnore improtant to get the brakes "seated".

I wonder if there are actual studies that show any difference when breaking a new car in?

·
Banned
0 Posts
I think the most widely accepted style of driving during break-in is to not maintain steady speeds for prolonged periods and keep the "hard braking" to a minimum.

I've owned and broken in several Ford SVT products including two 2nd generation Lightnings and two Cobras. I drove them all hard straight from the dealer, however I always varied my cruising speed for the first few hundred miles and never accelerated hard unless I had plenty of room to slow down without riding the brakes.

Also keep in mind our motor is running a total synthetic oil for lubrication. In most applications where synthetics are involved, the break-in period is not as critical.

·
Registered
189 Posts
NO. the car has preformed like it should in every way with the exception of the seat belt signal which turned out to be a bad ground with seat belt receptible . I use the top on a daily basis and at times I am parked on a slope or not level.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Me too

Yeah, I got a Deville too (the only "Grody" Cadillac, all the other models are pretty kewl to drive).

How many Caddys did you have to get to get that kind of treatment?

·
Registered
477 Posts
And I got a CTS...

...most of the time. Seems I got a DeVille on one accasion. But an XLR? You've got something going on there.

DeVille groady? It's not so bad. I just drove one (owned by Avis) for 5 days tooling around Western North Carolina. Not a bad rent car. (that could be its biggest problem - too many 15K rent ex-rent cars on the market)

Only squalk: its hard to get in and out of it. I liked the old (bigger) body style better.

I suppose the DTS is OK. Not going to find a place in my garage, however.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.