Cadillac XLR Forum banner

brake disc housings

6K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  master_jim 
#1 ·
Has anybody ever painted (usually red) the housings on the brake assembly? I know that it is common on Corvettes and many foreign cars. Many brands are doing it and I think it looks pretty good. What you think?
Tom

G
#2 ·
Tom,

I was thinking the same thing, but will wait for my V to do this to. That rust sure looks ugly on those little rotors.
Bob
tomgallagher said:
Has anybody ever painted (usually red) the housings on the brake assembly? I know that it is common on Corvettes and many foreign cars. Many brands are doing it and I think it looks pretty good. What you think?
Tom

#3 ·
tomgallagher said:
Tom
I'm sure you're refering to the caliper housing and not the rotors.

I agree, I really like the look, I've been considering painting mine yellow, since my car is crimson pearl.
Any other color car, I would go with red calipers.
The calipers read "XLR" on them in raised lettering, that should be painted black.
Go for it!

G
#4 ·
I was referring to the edge of the rotors, not the face, and yes, the caliper could use some touch up too.
1_XLR said:
I'm sure you're refering to the caliper housing and not the rotors.

I agree, I really like the look, I've been considering painting mine yellow, since my car is crimson pearl.
Any other color car, I would go with red calipers.
The calipers read "XLR" on them in raised lettering, that should be painted black.
Go for it!

#6 ·
Painting calipers

1-XLR,
Did you ever paint your calipers?
I also have a crimson pearl and was thinking of painting them yellow or red.

I also noticed today that the rear calipers don't have the the name "XLR" on them. I knew they would be smaller calipers and brakes because most of the braking is done with the front brakes but I thought they would also have the name on them.

Question can you put the front calipers on the rear?

I would think the "V's" would have bigger brakes on all four wheels so do they have the name on all of them?
Can you upgrade to the "V's" brakes on a non "V" car?

Anyone taken any photos yet? Would like to see if it is going to make them stand out any better.

How about power coating them? Is this any better/last longer?

motorboat

#7 ·
No I never painted mine, but I did paint the disc hubs black with high heat spray. No problem with peeling so I don't think powder coat is necessary. I didn't want to go red because it would 'clash' with the infrared, and wasn't sure yellow would look right. In the end I decided to stay black and not distract from my pricy wheels. I bought the yellow paint and could decide to go for it anytime! The V does not have imprinted rear calipers, but I think they would be a great upgrade for an XLR. My XLR always felt under-braked, but the bigger V brakes stop like a charm. The discs are also larger, so unless you changed to a 19" or 20" whell, they probably won't clear.

#8 ·
C6 Z51 Brake Rotors

Just finished putting on a set of the Z51 brake rotors on my XLR. These are the larger (front and rear) 2 piece rotors which are Xdrilled and Slotted. They fit with the stock 18" wheels with the exception of the balancing weights on the rear - they can not be in the path of the caliper ;-)

Otherwise they fit like a charm and braking is a nice improvement.

#12 ·
Actually - I used the 2 piece BAER rotors - they are the Z51 "upgraded" solution. The stock Z51 is the same size front - (reason is that Vette only had 18" front wheels) - the rears are built for 19" wheels (although they will clear 18" ones as long as no wheel weights are in the path) - so they are the 14" rotors.

Since then I have also put on ceramic bendix pads and flushed the system with Valvoline Synthetic DOT4 brake fluild (much higher boiling point). Also a nice side note - the synthetic fluid does not attack the paint - this was a God send - since my pressure bleeder adapter failed and fluid went everywhere - but it wiped up without damage !! :thumbs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.