Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a few posts about a visit to Bowling Green on my last post "Took Delivery Last Night".

The Bowling Green Plant & Corvette Museum hold a number of events each year hosting different models. A couple years ago, I drove my '96 Corvette Grand Sport (only 1,000 made) to "The Gathering". The Gathering was a three day get-together of Calloway, ZR-1 and Grand Sport Corvettes sponsored by the Museum and (GM - I think). We participated in a Concourse, a cruise through the countryside, drag races, banquet, bar-b-cue and a special tour of the plant. We also had lectures on the car by Chief Engineer David Hill who as you may know is also the CE for the XLR and others. Overall, it was a great experience.

Dave Hill was also at the Rolex 24 in Daytona a few years go when Earnhardt Sr. and Jr. drove the C-5 Corvette. He is very approachable and as you can imagine a real enthusiast. We had over 350 Corvettes make a parade lap around the road course prior to the race, and GM hosted two sky suites on the back stretch with beverages and food for the event. The Corvette (C-5 Registry) is a private National Club that helped organize the event. They would be a great model to emulate for our XLR organization. I believe they can be found at http://www.c5registry.com/

I think this Forum is a great starting place to organize regional clubs that can plan national events. I would be happy to help in any way I can and would welcome your input.

I also think it would ne a great ploy for GM to have the XLR as a pace car for an upcoming race event next year and have us do a parade lap. I don't pretend to know it all, but I am confident that we could put our heads together and lay the groundwork for an great XLR National organization with active local clubs.

As eyedoc has mentioned, we'll get together when I return from my trip in mid-October. In the mean time, I'll be here until Sunday evening, so give me your thoughts.
Pez

·
Registered
304 Posts
I guess I should have started a NEW thread like Pez did here.
It would be great if we could get something going for sure. :party

Go for it Pez, : :thumbs Come on Allen "aka Mr. XLR" :thumbs

I don't know when the best weather is in Bowling Green for crusing around with the top down but as I said in my last post in "Took Delivery Last Night". I think it would be best in the fall or early spring.

Does anyone KNOW?

Blaise : :seeya

·
Registered
370 Posts
Bowling Green is between Nashville and Louisville.

Nashville - Oct average high 71, low 49

Louisville - Oct average high 68, low 49

April has similar numbers for each.

Looks like we may have missed a good time for 04, but April or May 2005 would be good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been to Bowling Green three times for Corvette events. All were Labor Day weekend events and it was HOT! Temp. almost near 100 (according to the thermometer on the Vette) on one occassion. BG's a great little town with a bunch of good restaurants, bars and mini-breweries. The southern hospitality was very much appreciated by this northerner.
The Vette/XLR plant tour is really cool and the museum is also neat. Both can be seen in a day although I think the plant tour is only during the week.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I could be up for that...

For us Gulf Coast types, here's a link to an active Cadillac Owner's club. I just joined, but don't know any members there yet.

http://www.wantabe.com/cadillacs/

Check out their "events" link. They are planning a "Cajun Tour" in May 2005. It might be fun to make a 4 hour run from Houston along I-10 to Lafayette to drink daquris, and consume bugs and boudin with the Cajuns.

Any interest?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds Good Aviator

A few years ago when we went to Rolex 24 in Daytona, a group of Vette owners from DC area caravaned to South Carolina, where we met up with another group from NCand SC and continued South on I-95. We hooked-up with the main group around Jacksonville, spent the night enjoyed a banquet that the local club hosted and the next morning about 70 Vettes caravaned to daytona picking up straglers on the way. It was one of the best road trips ever.

We just need to coordinate among ourselves and "Just Do It"...
Pez

·
Registered
477 Posts
'vette owners vs XLR owners

70 'vettes on a run? That must have been quite a sight. There may not be 70 XLRs in the whole state of Texas!

I find a high level of interest in the XLR from 'vette owners. I pulled in to what was formerly known as "two-bit car wash" on Sunday evening right next to a blue C5. The 'vette owner and I exchanged gawks and compliments. It was a beautiful evening. The southeast Texas twilight filtering through the trees made the xenon blue of our XLR and his blue C5 look really close to the same color.

I really like the idea of touring the Bowling Green plant, and the run would be especially attractive if there were some XLRs there as well.

But that Cajun Tour sounds cool too. While it is an "all Cadillac" event, the contrast between the antique Caddys and a squadron of high-tech XLRs could be very entertaining. And Lafayette is a fun destination - real cajun country. :cheers

So Pez - with the population of XLRs being so small, how does one get the word out to generate some interest?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts