Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short,

I was in the garage and had both doors open. The retained accessory power feature had already cut the power earlier, so everything was shut down. I had the key fob in my pocket and was standing about 3 feet away from the rear of the car. All of a sudden, I saw the interior lights come on as they would if someone had unlocked the car, but REMEMBER, the doors were already opened. At first, I thought I had accidently pressed the unlock button on the fob while it was in my pocket.

The strange part however, was that immediately after the lights came on, the climate control blower fan turned on all by itself. I immediately walked towards the car and sat inside on the passenger’s side, and although the blower fan was on, everything else (with the exception of the interior lights) was off. The climate control display was off as well. I was very confused why this turned on all by itself. Not sure what to do, I pressed the lower position of the “push to start” button (ACCESSORY MODE). ACCESSORY MODE was then activated, and I immediately pressed the button again to turn off ACCESSORY MODE. Doing this immediately shut the blower off.
Why would the interior lights and blower fan turn on by themselves. Is this a normal function and if so, what is it for?

I have a 96 Eldorado that sometimes will turn the blower fan on all by itself, but this only happens when I have the ignition on. I’ve often wondered if this was an automatic feature that attempts to cool the interior. With the XLR today however, this all happened while I was standing outside the car and everything was supposedly off. I cannot say for certain if I had accidently pressed the unlock button on the fob while it was in my pocket, but if I did, would this cause this to happen or does it sound like something is out of whack? The car is a 2009.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
You are correct. This is not a normal condition. In Young Frankenstein parlance, it's what's called an abie-normal condition.

Check the condition of your battery first to eliminate the obvious.

You may have inadvertantly activated one of the buttons on the fob, waking the car up, though mine has never activated the climate control system just because I had the doors open. If it persists, consult a reasonably-priced exorcist or your nearby dependable Cadillac dealer.

CC :cheers

·
Registered
62 Posts
fan turning on?

Long story short,

I was in the garage and had both doors open. The retained accessory power feature had already cut the power earlier, so everything was shut down. I had the key fob in my pocket and was standing about 3 feet away from the rear of the car. All of a sudden, I saw the interior lights come on as they would if someone had unlocked the car, but REMEMBER, the doors were already opened. At first, I thought I had accidently pressed the unlock button on the fob while it was in my pocket.

The strange part however, was that immediately after the lights came on, the climate control blower fan turned on all by itself. I immediately walked towards the car and sat inside on the passenger’s side, and although the blower fan was on, everything else (with the exception of the interior lights) was off. The climate control display was off as well. I was very confused why this turned on all by itself. Not sure what to do, I pressed the lower position of the “push to start” button (ACCESSORY MODE). ACCESSORY MODE was then activated, and I immediately pressed the button again to turn off ACCESSORY MODE. Doing this immediately shut the blower off.
Why would the interior lights and blower fan turn on by themselves. Is this a normal function and if so, what is it for?

I have a 96 Eldorado that sometimes will turn the blower fan on all by itself, but this only happens when I have the ignition on. I’ve often wondered if this was an automatic feature that attempts to cool the interior. With the XLR today however, this all happened while I was standing outside the car and everything was supposedly off. I cannot say for certain if I had accidently pressed the unlock button on the fob while it was in my pocket, but if I did, would this cause this to happen or does it sound like something is out of whack? The car is a 2009.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
the fan turning on may be the "after blow feature" if you were running the ac? just my 2c's

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies fellas.

CCCLARKE, If there is a malfunction somewhere, I wonder if it would show up on a Tech II scan.

ALD42, As for the "after blow", the car had been shut off for more than an hour before this happened. I would think that would have happened immediately after shutting the AC off.

Very strange...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the replies fellas.

CCCLARKE, If there is a malfunction somewhere, I wonder if it would show up on a Tech II scan.

ALD42, As for the "after blow", the car had been shut off for more than an hour before this happened. I would think that would have happened immediately after shutting the AC off.

Very strange...
Its anything but "immediately after shutting the AC off". I have the after blow feature turned on on my car and at an all day car show, it can come on three or four times during the day. Most likely exactly what is happening on your car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Blower

GizmoQ
I would have to agree with CC untill I heard about this after blow feature. I wasn't aware of this feature. If we do have it I would like to know how to activate or deactivate it. Maybe you could give me an explanation as to how this is done.:crazy
V Happy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is incredible!!!

Now I'm really intrigued. I will admit that I had never heard of the "after blow" feature until today, but it's reassuring to know that there is a chance that there is not a malfunction with the car.

GizmoQ, from reading your post, are you telling me that your blower fan comes on all by itself in the way that I have described? If so, have your doors been opened when this happened and as such, the interior lights came on?

Gotta love this site!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
GizmoQ
I would have to agree with CC untill I heard about this after blow feature. I wasn't aware of this feature. If we do have it I would like to know how to activate or deactivate it. Maybe you could give me an explanation as to how this is done.:crazy
V Happy
This is incredible!!!

Now I'm really intrigued. I will admit that I had never heard of the "after blow" feature until today, but it's reassuring to know that there is a chance that there is not a malfunction with the car.

GizmoQ, from reading your post, are you telling me that your blower fan comes on all by itself in the way that I have described? If so, have your doors been opened when this happened and as such, the interior lights came on?

Gotta love this site!!!!
YES! That is the Afterblow feature @ work drying off your evaporator core. This feature normally has to be turned on with a Tech 2. It works to help eliminate that musty smell. It will not engage when battery voltage is low.

Afterblow Enabling
The afterblow mode can be enabled using the scan tool. The afterblow mode allows the blower motor to operate after the engine has been turned off. This operation of the blower motor dries the evaporator core, which reduces the amount of microbial growth which can create undesirable odors.
Use the following procedure in order to enable the afterblow mode:

Connect the scan tool.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Select HVAC Module.
Select HVAC Systems Automatic.
Select Special Functions.
Select HVAC.
Select Afterblow Option.
Select ENTER to enable the afterblow.
When done, use the soft key to save changes.

When afterblow has been enabled by the scan tool the blower motor will operate between medium and high speed for 4 minutes after the engine has been turned off.
The following conditions must be met for the HVAC module to operate the afterblow:

The outside air temperature must be at least 21°C (70°F).
The A/C compressor must operate for more than 2 minutes.
The engine must be turned off for at least 45 minutes.
The system voltage must be at least 12 volts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amazing!!!

It all fits now. A few months back, I had the dealer work on the car, and they told me that they had also cleaned the AC evaporator as they had noticed a moldy smell. They must have activated the afterblow at that time.

Thanks again fellas!!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Amazing!!!

It all fits now. A few months back, I had the dealer work on the car, and they told me that they had also cleaned the AC evaporator as they had noticed a moldy smell. They must have activated the afterblow at that time.

Thanks again fellas!!!
Having just read the thread title, I was thinking of problems from past GM systems that can cause this, and there is one. However, the after-blow feature wasn't what I had in mind! Just for info, there is usually a control module power circuit that the BCM uses to control the blower motor. If that module fails (and they do), the blower motor will likely come on. It will stay on too, until the battery is exhausted. In the XLR, it is powered by fuse 28 and the module is integral with the blower motor.

Not your problem though!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
xlrlist01,

That's a good call.

Definitely something to keep in mind.

Again, thanks to everyone!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts