Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband jamsto says that someone on here has been talking about the ashtray, but I can not find it. What is with the ashtray? I can not get it out. Would someone please clear this up for me?
Thank you
Jean :banghead :confused :rolleyes

·
Registered
411 Posts
Even though we're non-smokers, based on your husband's question we took apart our XLR's ashtray. Basically it looks like you have to remove the lighter to remove the ashtray. The ashtray is beneath the lighter. We had to look for a while to find it but then it was obvious.

Hope that helps, but the ashtray did require a good amount of force to remove so please be careful not the break anything.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have taken out the lighter, and still to no avail. Many people have tried, but they couldn't do it either. It is attached to the cup holders, of which the center of them I can take out no problem. I guess that I will have to take it to my dealer and find out that little known trick to get it out, until then I guess that we will just have to keep the vacuum close at hand. You know what else would be nice on this is to have spell checker, not on the car, on here, for those of us who just can't seem to spell any thing right. Thank you. Jean :banghead

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have figured out how to get the ashtray out, only because I had to take my XLR in for service as the voice command thing is not working correctly, it won't always recognize my key fob, and I almost couldn't get the car to turn off, and when it does, it goes into accessory mode, sooooooooooo, I took it in for service. Oh well, such is life. :confused :rolleyes

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okey dokey!! Use a screwdriver and gently pry back the front of the cup holders and lift out the ashtray. After that you should just be able to pry it back with your fingernail. I asked the mechanic at my dealer's to show me and that is what he did. My XLR is still there due to problems with the push button on off switch and the voice command thingy that is not working right, and it is not recognizing my keyfob, and have not been able to try it to see if it does work, but some. I hope that this clears it up for you, like it did me. :banghead :crazy :glol :cheers

·
Registered
411 Posts
Jeanszoo, could you do me a favor and please post the results of the repairs on your XLR? I'm specifically looking for what repair was performed on the keyless entry. This way if other owners hit the same issue, they'll have a rough idea of what is involved in the repair.

Thanks!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alk3997,
I would be more then glad to post what repairs are done on my XLR as soon as I get it back. I will ask the mechanic, if he can, write down exactly what was done.
By the way, I got to meet, probably all the mechanics at my dealer yesterday when I took in the second keyfob, in my '55 pink Cadillac de Ville convertible.
And you are quite welcome!!!!
jeanszoo
:thumbs :D :flag :yesnod

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yes, that would be great! You're right a new tread might be easier to find in a year or so. I'm not sure "ashtray" would be first on my mind for a fob problem :D

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
I vote for a new section that allows easy posting by subject of problems/issues and resolutions that we turn up over time.

I think the following are all of the issues I have seen here so far:

Water leak in window area --Car Wash
Ash Tray Removal
Front Tag Bracket-Missing Bracket and unclear location.
XM Radio Antenna Location
Key Fob Not Recognized by Car
Clicking Noise when entering the car (On occasion).
Front Center spoiler piece cracked (mine --possibly done durng the tiedown or unload process by the car carrier). RESOLUTION: New part ordered, received and installed in 1 week.
Low Spot in passenger side headliner causing a elongated looking stain appearance. (mine) RESOLUTION: OPEN The dealer is considering using a heat gun to correct the problem OR replacing the headliner completely.

Regards.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think we can close the "Clicking Noise" too. That is the sound of the fob being interrogated. It is normal.

One of the more annoying minor clicking sounds in a car is the '02-'03 Q45 which makes a loud click every time the brake pedal is depressed and the car senses it needs additional power to the braking system. That causes a relay to close and a loud click tied to foot motion.

The XLR interrogation sound is very minor compared to that.

I think ash tray removal is also closed. BTW, we were able to remove the tray just with fingers. It was tight though.

I agree that a new "Repair Solutions" section would be a great addition. We could start to list these...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ash Trays (problem solved) So to speak

I have been complaining about the Ash Tray or lack of on the XlR

I found that my 1990 ZR1 Vet Has a Metal Ash Tray With Cig holders in one of the cup holders. So i whent to my CAdy dealer and ordered a (Smokers Package) Price around $ 40.00 It arrived in few days And They sent me the same Plastic item that is under the Lighter. That we have hard time to remove.
Naturaly i did not Wanted.

Whent to my Chev dealer and i ordered The same Ash Tray That is on ZR1. It fits nicely unto the ZLR cup Holder tray. Not Perfect But Looks Ok Plus you can close The Console lid with ease.

Price $23.28, PART #: GM #: 19215297.

Hope this will help

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you, soooooooooo much, for the info on the ashtray, I will be going to my Chevy dealer and order that part. Also, that part will help keep that area of my XLR cleaner.
jeanszoo
:D :cheers :flag :yesnod

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
I messed around with the ash tray and cup holder today and found that the best way to remove the ash tray for the first time is to remove the cup holder section first. It is light sticky glued to the bottom of the area. Once it is removed the suggestion to remove the oighter and then the plastic ash tray works.

I am thinking that a small factory mis alignment keeps the lip of the ash tray under the cup holder until it is removed with one of the methods discussed.

If you aren't going to put drinks in the drink holder, there is a nice storage area under it for glasses and other stuff.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okey dokey, you do need more then a fingernail to get the ashtray out!!!!!!!! Geeeeeeeeeeeeeee whiz, now I have to carry a screw driver in my XLR to get the ashtray out and a pair of pliers in my '55 Cadillac De Ville Convertible, to change the trip odometor? and that word isn't even in my dictionary, so I hope that I spelled it right, that is where the spellchecker would come in handy.
:banghead :crazy :flag

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have posted, in technical section what was done to my XLR. Also, I was told to remove the cup holders, at least partically, and then remove the ashtray. I have not tried this, yet, as I just got it back this afternoon, about 4:30 mountain time.
By the Rich, have you done a new post for our party?? :) :party
So what now, are we too old for your wife?????????? :glol :glol :glol :glol :glol :glol :glol :glol :jester
Jean

1 - 20 of 23 Posts