Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cadillac has quoted $1,500 to replaced pads and rotors (my rotors look like they need replacement) on my XLR-V. At the least, for that kind of money, I should be able to source some decent upgrades to the rotors and pads if I do the work myself. I have all the tools. (I've restored several early 70's muscle cars and a 74 Bronco so I'm not a stranger to automotive work)

Are there any XLR-V specific reasons why I should not try to do this? I know the lug nuts need to be torqued to 100 ft lbs. I will try to find the XLR repair manuel from GM (if available) to get any other torque info on other associated parts that need to be reassembled.

Any input or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

·
Banned
337 Posts
It sounds like you should be able to do the work yourself. You will need a 15mm socket and 18mm wrench to remove the calipers to replace the pads. You will need a 21mm or 13/16" socket to remove the caliper brackets to replace the rotors. The parking brake shoes set inside the rear brake rotors, so be careful when removing the rear rotors. Make sure to clean the rust off the hubs before installing the new rotors. Apply some blue threadlocker to the caliper bracket bolts and torque to 125 ft.lbs. Have fun:)

Bruce

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just did my brakes (05 XLR) yesterday and my driver side rear pads were worn unevenly. I noticed that one of my glides was seized and my caliper bracket would not move freely. Long story short, I sheared the bolt head off of the shank and had to drill it out of the caliper bracket. A local brake and caliper shop had a replacement kit for $9.xx. Replaced the rest without incident. Front rotors and all pads. I got the rotors from the OEM parts.com supporter for just over $100 each and the pads for $75. All said and done fresh brakes for under $300. And they threw in a Saturday morning adventure for free.

Best of luck with your brake job.

Ben

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

Thanks guys. I'm going to try to upgrade the front brakes with the Baer brakes 6 Pro system and follow that later with the rears

Jack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts