Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was looking at a 2006 at a used car lot. The doors, hood and trunk have serial numbered labels on them. Should these serial numbers match the VIN?

·
Registered
113 Posts
look at the windshield. See if it has the same number etched on a corner somewhere. Some anti-theft companies issue numbers you put on a part so if the car is stolen they claim they can find it by their numbers. GM puts plastic number on parts and yes they should match the serial number of the car. If the car has been wrecked and a used part has been installed in most states it is illegal to remove the used part numbers. They have to be taped off when painting. Most collision centers remove them so a missing label may indicate used or new parts installed. usually new parts have the number on the backside of the part so paint does not get sprayed over the label. So basically if it has a grayish label with a long number, it should match the one on the dash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
look at the windshield. See if it has the same number etched on a corner somewhere. Some anti-theft companies issue numbers you put on a part so if the car is stolen they claim they can find it by their numbers. GM puts plastic number on parts and yes they should match the serial number of the car. If the car has been wrecked and a used part has been installed in most states it is illegal to remove the used part numbers. They have to be taped off when painting. Most collision centers remove them so a missing label may indicate used or new parts installed. usually new parts have the number on the backside of the part so paint does not get sprayed over the label. So basically if it has a grayish label with a long number, it should match the one on the dash.
Ok, that's what I thought. This xlr had looked to have been repainted, and none of the stickers matched the VIN. So I suspect it had been wrecked and repaired with salvage parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts