Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whacked a deer last night (on my way to vote). Car isn't that bad, deer is much worse!

Does anyone know of a fairly invisible, deer repellent device that works for the XLR?

Crazy little doe suicided by diving right in front of the driver-side headlight :eek

I literally hit her, and then hit the brakes as she was flying through the air!

Cops came right away to shoot her.

At least my candidate won (I think) even tho my stupid, fellow New Yorkers, like the idea of more terrorism in New York, instead of war in Iraq, and voted Dem.

No offense to any XLR drivers who voted for Kerry outside of New York.

The terrorists have made it REALLY clear that NYC is their favorite target, and I cannot comprehend how a single New Yorker could vote against keeping Arabs busy in the Mid East with soldiers instead of trying to stop them here, after they've killed more innocent civillians.

Sorry, just had to throw in some politics into the XLR/Deer problem, since I was on my way to vote when it happened!

--Bob (Dadonator)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone know of a Anti-Jerk device for XLR-forum member

Bob,
Probably best to keep politics to yourself....I don't care to hear your political views especially in a "car" forum!!
migsgig

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Sorry"

I guess it was my state of deer-killing "shock."

:eek

I guess you're an upset Dem from CA--I only insulted the New York Dems, not you!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Deer whistles

Dado - Don't you remember the advice not to discuss politics and religion.

Oh well, guess you can discuss baseball, but you can't discuss politics.

On the deer issue. There are devices advertised that you put on the front bumpers and "supposedly" emit a whistle when the car is moving.

I know friends in rural areas that use these, but have also seen comments that there is really no evidence that they work.

They are about the the size of a "chapstick" but have to sit right on the bumper.

By the way, if you look at demographics of voters, anyone who can own an XLR and voted blue is in a small minority. However, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I just wish some of the entertainment crowd would make good on their promises (to the leave the country if Bush was elected). It would free up alot of good air we need here in California.

Sorry, had the extra two cents so I thought I'd spend 'em here.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
migsgig said:
Bob,
Probably best to keep politics to yourself....I don't care to hear your political views especially in a "car" forum!!
migsgig
Thanks Mig.
With views like that, I say we stick to cars as well :cheers

Try this "car" forum http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com
they post about 75% politics, 20% jokes, and about once a week
somebody talks about.............. cars!

·
Registered
8 Posts
\enough Of Political Comment

migsgig said:
Bob,
migsgig[/QUOTE
Couldn't agree more..thank you for that antijerk message.
Enjoy the wonderfull Fall weather.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Deer whistle

Those Deer Whistles are worthless. I purchased two of them after a friend on mine hit a deer & ended up in a ditch. I have driven by deer next to the highway and they exhibited absolutely NO Response. They didn't move and didn't even turn their head! Waste of $$
rex32

·
Registered
87 Posts
Dadonator:
Too bad you didn't get to take the fawn home. "Delicious."

You qualified your frustrations by talking about New Yorker's.

Doesn't "MIGSIG" know that we Californians are safe now.
Bin Laden told us so.

I agree with MSWAIN.

Lighten up You Kerryites and count your blessings. Try driving your XLR
in IRAQ or Afghanistan. They'd behead you instead of shooting the deer.

Cheers and thanks for voting.

Brooks

·
Registered
477 Posts
Roo Bars

Been searchin' far and wide for a solution to your problem, Dadonator, and I found it "down under". The answer: Roo Bars!

I remember seeing the things on an "oil finding expedition" in Darwin Australia a few years back.

Seems the one I found will match the Crimson Pearl, but you may be able to get it in Xenon Blue. I would go for the gold package.

:glol :glol :glol

Sorry to hear about your run-in with the doe, amigo. We unwashed, Wal-Mart shopping, intolerant, homophobes actually just shoot deer for food down here in the red states.

Regarding political discussion, there is a place on this forum to debate politics or any other off topic item.

aviator

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
True confession

Lest you guys all think we all have gun racks and "Goat Ropers Need Love, Too" stickers on our pick up trucks down here in Houston, I post the following true confession:

Kingwood is an upscale "master planned community" just north of Houston, situated on a lake, but carved out of a beautiful forest. It is populated with genteel, educated and successful folks who are very concerned about property values, community covenants, having great schools for our (mostly spoiled)offspring, and development with a plan for preservation of the forest. For that reason, the deer in Our "Livable Forest" haven't been hunted for many, many generations, and are very, very tame. (See, I sort of revel in being a pretend ******* at times. :eek: )

Last night about 9:00pm I was criusing through my Kingwood village in the XLR. Low and behold a heard of six deer, (all doe and fawns) strolled onto the street. I braked, but the deer, in no particular hurry, slowly passed in front of the Xenon glare of my headlights. :eek

I stopped and watched as they gathered on a green space not ten feet from my right quarter panel. They turned, perked up their ears and looked as me as if to say, "What!? You lookin' at me?" :confused Then they turned without drama and slowly sauntered away. :yawn

I thought about this thread, Dadonator and his roadkill prize, and mused. No whistle in the world would have made any difference to these guys. :leaving

I'm glad I was only going 35mph.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
we're ya able to get yer gun out of the gun rack and blast a couple of 'em before they got away?? :glol

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Still Waiting for Parts....

All kidding aside, my driver-side headlight cover was knocked off the car (the car behind me immediately drove over it and shattered it :cry )

I'm worried about driving in the rain with the headlight (2) exposed, even though the body shop said that they are sealed units, and won't be affected by rain.

Its been 8 days since the parts were ordered, still waiting :sleep

Anyone know if it will really be ok to expose the lights to rain without the lens/outer cover?

New live-in drives, so I lost my Suburban/backup vehicle! :smash

Aviator, too bad I wasn't driving my Suburban, even without the Roo Bars, the deer would've been "smushed" into pate, without a scratch on the vehicle :glol

(For all you politically correct folks, I was sorry to kill the deer, until I realized that a) we have no hunting in lower Westchester NY b) the deer have NO predators & c) they are breeding out of control (due to a & b) so, I'm glad I did my part to keep the population down--anyone have a good deer recipe?) :reddevil

·
Registered
87 Posts
Deer Recipe

Bob:
If you have a friendly local butcher, have him dress out the carcass, save the tenderloins and grind the rest of the meat with beef fat to make deerburgers.
Since there's no sagebrush in Westchester there shouldn't be any gamey taste to the tenderloins. Just marinate and grill like you would with your favorite steak.
Enjoy!

Brooks

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Too late!

Thanks Brooks, but I was actually joking--Irvington's finest shot the deer and removed it before I got back from the voting booth (about 20 minutes).

I'm sure they had a nice BBQ with it :flag --too bad I wasn't invited!

I thought about strapping it to the roof, but I didn't want to risk affecting the top-down mechanism!

--Bob

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Belated Follow Up!

Took 10 days to get the parts, and 8 days to repair and replace and paint.

My shop did an awesome job, I can't tell the new fender from the old. They also replaced the entire headlight assembly and gave me a lifetime warranty on all of their work.

The Shop owner showed me the orange peel on the rear (never hit) quarter, and was astonished when I told him that was FACTORY QUALITY!

I'm so happy to have her "fully operational" again!

:party

--Bob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts