Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure this is not normal.

The other day, I was in the garage cleaning the dashboard sitting in the passenger seat. I just happened to be flipping through the manual and came to section 7 (Maintenance Schedule). I found the "Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control System Check" test.

To make a long story short, I tried to move the shifter lever without having my foot on the brake assuming that it would not move out of park. I'm grateful that the car was on a level surface because to my surprise (remember, I was sitting in the passenger seat when I did this), the shift lever moved out of park to reverse.

I shifted back into park, and then got into the driver's seat and started the car. With the engine now running, I once again attempted to shift into reverse without my foot on the brake pedal. Once again, I was able to do it after a few attempts.

According the manual, this requires a trip to the dealer. Any thoughts on what this might cost to fix?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
There's a latch pawl with a switch underneath the shift lever in the center console. If it's an easy problem, one or the other may be bad. Because it's a safety-related issue, it's best to have a qualified mechanic inspect/repair the problem. It's simple enough to check.

Pull down on the metalized plastic trim ring underneath the shift knob to expose a T-15 Torx screw. Remove the screw to remove the shift knob. Pry up the four corners of the shift plate and inspect the plastic latch pawl and associated switch.

CC

1 - 2 of 2 Posts