Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
I can name a few cars that don't have anywhere near that kind of horsepower and are capable of 5 second runs to 60, some even less.

Heck, the Buick GNX was doing it (with nearly 20 year old technology) and less than 280 horses under the hood - and a V-6 at that. It's curb weight was about 100 lbs. less than the XLR, but it was capable of pulling its 3,500 lbs. to 60 mph in 4.7 seconds all day long.

The later model 3000GT VR-4's were also close to those numbers with only 320 horses, along with the RX-7's and Honda's S2000.

In 1992 i bought a used 1991 Porsche Turbo, I believe the horsepower on it was very near what we have now in out XLR's and it ran to 60 in less than 5 seconds.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Your mixing apples and oranges. Go look at the torque numbers of the Buick. That is where it produced all its power. Also, the factory HP rating on it was known to be way underestimated. Bottom line, to get under the 5 second runs, you must have the HP in the 400's. It is simple math.

·
Banned
0 Posts
rick1827 said:
Your mixing apples and oranges. Go look at the torque numbers of the Buick. That is where it produced all its power. Also, the factory HP rating on it was known to be way underestimated. Bottom line, to get under the 5 second runs, you must have the HP in the 400's. It is simple math.
It may be simple math, however the bottom line is; many cars have done it and will continue to do it.

Sometimes math has to take a back seat to reality........and torque, something you understand - and some don't.

You mentioned torque and rightfully so, however the original poster stated you cannot produce sub-five second numbers with less than 380 horses, then adds that it will take more than 400 horses.

No mention of torque, so I AM comparing apples to apples. Even when the "real numbers" for the car were revealed, horsepower numbers were below 330 with toque numbers above 420.

And that's only one example, there are quite a few cars that have defied the math.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Let me keep this simple. You cannot compare HP numbers of different cars that are under 5 seconds to that of the XLR. Torque is a far bigger factor as well as the weight of the care. In an XLR, you need 400+. PERIOD, End of Story.

mswaim said:
It may be simple math, however the bottom line is; many cars have done it and will continue to do it.

Sometimes math has to take a back seat to reality........and torque, something you understand - and some don't.

You mentioned torque and rightfully so, however the original poster stated you cannot produce sub-five second numbers with less than 380 horses, then adds that it will take more than 400 horses.

No mention of torque, so I AM comparing apples to apples. Even when the "real numbers" for the car were revealed, horsepower numbers were below 330 with toque numbers above 420.

And that's only one example, there are quite a few cars that have defied the math.

·
Banned
0 Posts
rick1827 said:
Let me keep this simple. You cannot compare HP numbers of different cars that are under 5 seconds to that of the XLR. Torque is a far bigger factor as well as the weight of the care. In an XLR, you need 400+. PERIOD, End of Story.
I would agree, as long as you maintain the present gearing and simply add horsepower. However, with changes to the gearing ratios its entirely possible - as it was in 1987.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Hey RIcki,
I couldn't have said it better myself. You are right on with your presentation. The Xlr couldn't get to under five with less than 425, and it's diffuclut to do the math on this project, but I would bet the farm on it.
I had a 428 Ram-Air 69 Mustang that could blow the wheels off a Ferrari or any Hemi back then, but this XLR is very suffisticated and is controlled by a computer, that 69 Mustang was controlled by torque and engine to the rear wheels. I had to put traction masters on it to hold the car on the ground. (pic enclosed)
I would have answered it the same way, but I don't talk to this individual because he's so much smarter than all of us and if you don't believe me. "ask him".:boxing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts