Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac XLR
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shift cable has broken leaving the car in reverse. Any suggestions about where I can find a replacement? New ones aren't being made anymore. Used ones are very expensive ($300++) but if that's the only route, I will have to do it. Does one from an 2006 Corvette work? Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
Corvettes dont work .also 04/05 is not the same as used sellers claim. If you buy used make sure you get one off 06/09. 90% of the tim it is just the small plastic ball that holds the cable on that breaks. They run about 25$ and are sold at auto parts stores and ebay. transmission shops are famaliar with the repair if you are not doing it yourself. Dealers are very expensive for this repair. If you actually have a broken cable i have them but i doubt that you need it

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac XLR
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Corvettes dont work .also 04/05 is not the same as used sellers claim. If you buy used make sure you get one off 06/09. 90% of the tim it is just the small plastic ball that holds the cable on that breaks. They run about 25$ and are sold at auto parts stores and ebay. transmission shops are famaliar with the repair if you are not doing it yourself. Dealers are very expensive for this repair. If you actually have a broken cable i have them but i doubt that you need it
Thanks. I will share this with my mechanic. I have ordered a repair kit. We'll see if that resolves the issue. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks. I will share this with my mechanic. I have ordered a repair kit. We'll see if that resolves the issue. Fingers crossed.
My bushings just went out on my '05 Base XLR last Saturday. Had it towed to my local guy (he said I needed a new cable - I told him it's probably just the bushings). He zip-tied the linkage on the tyranny (just to move it)... a bad cable, it still wouldn't work. I'm 95% sure it's two $20 bushings. Hope it gets fixed soon - taking both XLR's to Bloomington Gold this month. 😎

Chicago Dave

·
Registered
189 Posts
This is a case where a transmission shop knows what do and is usually much cheaper than a regular shop or dealership. its a very common gm failure. thats why they sell thousands of the kits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Bion thanks for the info on this thread, I had my mechanic check mines out as I was dealing with the same issue of what I thought were just bad bushings, but turns out I actually need a cable do you know where I might be able to purchase 1?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts