Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I recently bought a 2005 XLR and when I first got it about a month ago I got a "LOW COOLANT" message, and thought it may just need new coolant added so I did, but now a month later I get this message again and get a little engine heat so I do it again but only to have the "LOW COOLANT" message appear again 10 minutes after I changed the coolant.

Anyone had the same problem?

Thanx

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've got an 05 and they replaced the radiator. This was common with 04 and 05s. Have your dealer pressure check the system.

·
Registered
142 Posts
First I got a Low Coolant Level" read out on the dash, but it went away right away, so I thought it was a fluke. A few days later the light was back on and stayed on. I brought it to the dealer and there was a leak in the radiator.

Apparently 04 and some 05's had some bad radiators and they replaced mine under warranty with a "V" radiator.

There's a lot of info on this site about replacement radiators if you use the search function.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just came back from the dealer they said they will replace the radiator with a new one.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just wanted to post the EXACT same issue. I took the vehicle to some geniuses here and they added some coolant. They managed to open it while it was hot, and they added the coolant. So far, i didn't see the message, but i can here some knocking noise when i turn the engine on(I am afraid that this has something to do with adding the coolant when the engine is off and hot). It has been 3 hours since they added it... lol. Oh, I also forgot to mention that they replaced the coolant for me. I am suspecting a leak. I will send it to Saudi Arabia, 800 kms away just to have a look at it and have everything fixed.
Hi I recently bought a 2005 XLR and when I first got it about a month ago I got a "LOW COOLANT" message, and thought it may just need new coolant added so I did, but now a month later I get this message again and get a little engine heat so I do it again but only to have the "LOW COOLANT" message appear again 10 minutes after I changed the coolant.

Anyone had the same problem?

Thanx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just took my 'o5 (stillunder warranty) in for the same error message. They tell me they need to replace the Fuel Pump !!!!!!!!!

(and they are doing so)

They've had it over a week now. I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
51 Posts
same problem today...

Ive had my 05 with 29k miles on it for a few months now. yep, out of the blue, the low coolant light message came on, with no leak, and a full tank of coolant. It turned off the minute i drove the car home from the office.

Guess we will find out if its the coupling, the radiator or the fuel pump? All three seem to be culprits to this issue, especially on 4's and 05's.

If anyone has any OTHER ideas i might mention to the dealer monday morning, please share. I dont imagine this is a danger to drive in over the weekend while the engine temp is fine, coolant level is fine and there is no visible leak of any sort right? Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive had my 05 with 29k miles on it for a few months now. yep, out of the blue, the low coolant light message came on, with no leak, and a full tank of coolant.

Guess we will find out if its the coupling, the radiator or the fuel pump? All three seem to be culprits to this issue, especially on 4's and 05's.
!
Being a total XLR novice, I am having a problem trying to comprehend why a fuel pump would have anything to do with a low coolant problem? Maybe water pump was what was meant?

Appreciate anyone educating me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
water pump getting replaced

It took them an hour to determine the water pump needed replacing...the coolant message was tripped by it. they said the coolant was very watered down as well, or mixed within. sounded odd, but its free soo oooo well. I pick it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Recurring

I had the radiator replaced with the V series one and my light comes on frequently. I filled it to make sure but it just seems to be a fluke that Im living with....kinda like the spoke sounding noise I hear from the rear wheel ALL the time and progressively worse even though I have changed the axel and the nut. Just one of those things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the 2004 model. Got the same message last week. Located a busted plastic 'T' fitting just aft of the radiator, right on top of the engine compartment. One of the hoses leading off it routes to the overflow tank.

Dealer wanted $125 for the T fitting (and the 3 hoses connected to it, which I didn't need.)

I went to Autozone, paid $4.50 for a box of misc. fittings because I could see the one I needed thru the packaging.

Fixed. No message, no leaks. No dealer ripoff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts