Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a inside scoop that the XLR-V for 2005 is going to be super charged and is GOING TO HAVE 590 HORSEPOWER WOW! AND IT IS A V-8 NORTHSTAR THE supercharger is going to be maded by Eaton Automotive.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Don't forget the politics - The supposed agreement is that the XLR will never be more powerful than the Vette. So, any spec that is listed for the XLR must lead to an equivalent Vette engine that is more powerful than the XLR. I assume this does not apply to the rest of Cadillac since the CTS-V has the Vette engine.

Also, supposedly the XLR's automatic transmission cannot handle 400HP. So, I assume this means the XLR-V (when and if it exists) would have a manual transmission?

My other question given the number of XLR owners is now about 1,000 people and is targeted at 6,000 a year, why would you divide that group even further? I guess having something new in '05 may be a valid enough reason.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
XLR-V

The XLR-V is going to be made in limited amounts and GM is not trying to make cadillac like chevy two different companies and we are not worry about chevy Cadillac is going to make a v- for every model by the end on 2008

·
Registered
105 Posts
Have signed up with my dealer and have placed a preliminary order with deposit--it will only be made with automatic trans, I have no other information to speak of but will report more when available.
And I really wish it would stop snowing here in the Windy City so I can open the top on my EXLR8 currently under cover in my garage!

·
Registered
22 Posts
To reach 590 HP would require approximately 14 PSI of boost. I seriously doubt they will do this. I would expect, at most, a 500 HP rating--and only after the C6 Z06 has been revealed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree 590hp i simply to high......

I would expect something between the 450-500hp but not higher than that......

Specially if the XLR main competitor the SL55 has 493hp.....

To reach 590hp they will need to do much more than just a big boost increase.......

Also Eaton is not the most efficient supercharger in the market.....

Lysohlm are more efficient........

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just looked at my Feb 1999 issue of Car & Driver which featured the EVOQ on the cover
The EVOQ had a supercharged northstar with 405 hp--thats were I bet we end up with something like that.

·
Registered
535 Posts
But the price will be extremely competitive. The SL55 tens of thousands of dollars more and the XLR will have a much better ride.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Moving forward during the 1st stage XLR

Gang,
t
I just hope that Cadillac takes into account all past errors and omissions and pays attention to each phase of its current excellent efforts that they double dot their "i's" and their "t's", i e., do not get a head of themselves as in the past.

Remember, the '93 Allante' was and is a great vehicle but it took them from '87 to '93 to get it right. I know I purchased two of them new. It's been ten years since then.

The rest of the product line is coming along well but Cadillac can not affort to run past its ability to deliver to impress the market.

While the Nieman Marcus #25 I got through the NM catalog deal for my wife for our 25th anniversay has peformed flawlessly. I can't help but reflect on the delivery and mechanical problems that have been reported in this forum.

I just want Cadillac to make the grade and at a pace that will insure making the summit.

Happy New Year,

DFXLR

·
Registered
2 Posts
For what it's worth, my dealer, with whom I was preparing to place a deposit for the XLR-V (or whatever the increased HP engine model will be called) phoned me to say that he would not recommend placing an order just yet. He said he'd just attended a meeting with Cadillac reps who stated that introduction of the higher-horsepower engine probably would not be until the 2006 model.

Has anyone else received similar information?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
XLR-V

it is for 05 or 06 model year
and the engine is going to be super charge and and there will be a sts-v in 06 to go with the new deville

·
Registered
535 Posts
Apparently, my dealer was told by Cadillac that the Corvette engine will not fit and this is the reason they will be doing a supercharger.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quixotic,

It is my understanding from very relyable sources that there will never be a Corvette power train used in an XLR, however this does not explain the CSTV except that it has a different hp rating and it not a vehicle similar to a Corvette. Lutz does know the dangers of cross model screw ups.

I have had the pleasure of meeting with him, with others, and had lots of discussion on issues like this.

DFXLR

·
Registered
1 Posts
ivan1111 said:
Well i don't know but 405hp i not near enough to compete against the 493hp MB SL55.....:cry
Why not? I've seen video of a Z06 walking all over an SL55. Granted the Z is lighter than an XLR but I'd bet it could still be close. :cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
HeywardAllen said:
Got a inside scoop that the XLR-V for 2005 is going to be super charged and is GOING TO HAVE 590 HORSEPOWER WOW! AND IT IS A V-8 NORTHSTAR THE supercharger is going to be maded by Eaton Automotive.
Does anyone know enough yet to say that those of us with 04/05's will be able to add the supercharger to our existing northstars? :grouphug

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
DFXLR said:
Quixotic,

It is my understanding from very relyable sources that there will never be a Corvette power train used in an XLR,
But does anyone know if it is possible to put a Corvette power train in an existing XLR? I would think it would be a relatively easy swap out :rolleyes

·
Registered
163 Posts
Do you want the short or long answer?

I have done 5 months of research on this. Here is the scoop.

Is it possible to supercharge 04/05 XLR? Yes it is and the parts are readly available. That's the good news. The bad news is that I have not found anyone that has attempted it yet. The basic problem is not with the Supercharger, but with the Engine Control Unit (computer). Cadillac will not release the computer code and no one has been able to successfully hack it. Therefore, any Supercharger bolted on will destroy the drivability of the car. There is a way around this but it requires using a stand-alone ECU to override the exsisting one. That will work, but you need to program it yourself. There is a company call Fuel Air Spark that can and has done this for Northstar owners, but not on a XLR. It will work. The down side is that you need to be extremely knowledgeable about ECU programming and accept the fact that your factory warranty will be void. Also, the car most likely will fail any emissions tests.

As far as dropping in a Corvette Engine that is also fairly simple. Howerver, you are going to have the same ECU problems.

Rick

1 - 20 of 32 Posts