Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Not sure if I put this in the best thread as I am new to the forum but here it goes. Drivers side taillight went out. After searching the forum found vettetronics and sent taillight to be repaired. Soooo here's where it gets interesting. I drove the car right before I pulled the tail light out but since I knew I'd be without it for about 4 weeks. this was a week ago. I have opened the trunk and gotten into the car numerous times yesterday I needed to move the car and when I got in the DIC said no fob detected. I had my wife bring out the second fob and it said the same thing then it was like the car just lost all power I had to use the manual release from inside to get out and now I can't unlock the door, trunk or anything with either fob. Does anybody have an idea of what might be going on? I was wondering if it's because I tried to start the car with the tail light removed but that just doesn't make sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

· Registered
10 Posts
Please don't quote me - my 2004 XLR went bibi a year ago, but as I remember, you need to use the key in the rear bumper driver side to open the trunk, then pull the "T" handle on the driver side to open the driver door. Then you can release the hood and go from there. YMMV (Your Mileage may vary).

· Premium Member
35 Posts
Be very critical of the battery and connections. A marginal battery will cause the car to do crazy things. Note that the battery is relatively small for the amount of electronics in the car and the computer alone puts a small but decent constant load on the battery when the car is parked. Use of a battery tender is a must to keep the battery charge up if the XLR sits for periods ( 2 weeks or more) between use.

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone. Not sure if I put this in the best thread as I am new to the forum but here it goes. Drivers side taillight went out. After searching the forum found vettetronics and sent taillight to be repaired. Soooo here's where it gets interesting. I drove the car right before I pulled the tail light out but since I knew I'd be without it for about 4 weeks. this was a week ago. I have opened the trunk and gotten into the car numerous times yesterday I needed to move the car and when I got in the DIC said no fob detected. I had my wife bring out the second fob and it said the same thing then it was like the car just lost all power I had to use the manual release from inside to get out and now I can't unlock the door, trunk or anything with either fob. Does anybody have an idea of what might be going on? I was wondering if it's because I tried to start the car with the tail light removed but that just doesn't make sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance
It’s sounds like it could possibly be the car battery. When they go bad (and believe me they can go bad or night) it makes the car do all kind of weird things. You can also try unhooking the battery for at least 20 minutes, if you that it resets the computer. If you do either of these methods don’t for get to reindex you windows. If you’re not a member on XLR-net forum you should join its best forum for our XLR information Cadillac XLR Net | For 2004 - 2009 Cadillac XLR Enthusiasts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone. I don't know if I have the trunk key is I'm unable to get into the car and look inside the glove box waiting to hear from Cadillac about having a trunk key cut. As soon as I am in the car first thing I'm going to do is test the battery and set up a tender. Driver side tail light had LEDs burned out in them so I sent it to vatronics to get repaired. I had not had any problems getting into the car or opening the trunk until I went to move the car with the tail light out does anybody know if that would have caused my issue? And silver Roxy I will join that form as well as I have a feeling I'm going to need to be researching them a lot LOL

· Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the responses everyone. I don't know if I have the trunk key is I'm unable to get into the car and look inside the glove box waiting to hear from Cadillac about having a trunk key cut. As soon as I am in the car first thing I'm going to do is test the battery and set up a tender. Driver side tail light had LEDs burned out in them so I sent it to vatronics to get repaired. I had not had any problems getting into the car or opening the trunk until I went to move the car with the tail light out does anybody know if that would have caused my issue? And silver Roxy I will join that form as well as I have a feeling I'm going to need to be researching them a lot LOL
Do yourself favor, whenever you are going to park your XLR for any amount time for awhile put on the tender and don’t close the hood tight. At least that way you can get the battery to check and charge/jump the battery. For less the 100$ you can buy on these jump packs. I have 1 for Roxy, but thinking about purchasing 1 for the 49 Studebaker Truck My wife name him Butch LOL. Purchased my battery on Amazon love it! I don’t think they have this unit, but a lot similar ones. What VETOMILE 800A Peak Car Jump... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073FD3NKW?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

· Registered
246 Posts
Taillight being out of the car will not run the battery deadbor cause your problems. Hope your dealer can get you a key cut. Most of the time they cannot.you did not mention the year of your car. If

· Registered
7 Posts
I found and I know this problably doesn't help the cable the works the trunk mech comes loose so turning the key does nothing. You will have to remove the plastic cover if you can get in the trunk and reattach that cable

· Registered
7 Posts
Do yourself favor, whenever you are going to park your XLR for any amount time for awhile put on the tender and don’t close the hood tight. At least that way you can get the battery to check and charge/jump the battery. For less the 100$ you can buy on these jump packs. I have 1 for Roxy, but thinking about purchasing 1 for the 49 Studebaker Truck My wife name him Butch LOL. Purchased my battery on Amazon love it! I don’t think they have this unit, but a lot similar ones. What VETOMILE 800A Peak Car Jump... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073FD3NKW?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Great advice I bought mine from Ace for $40 and have it on daily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts