Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
According to my local dealer in San Jose California, the hydraulic rams, which I believe is the part you’re talking about, are no longer available through Cadillac. There is a car sitting in the shop that has been there for two months while the dealer is trying to find a used pair for him. Sorry, I know it’s not what you want to hear, but I thought I’d share what I do know.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have plenty of good struts. Just have the dealer contact me. There sre bssiclly two. Types. Lift struts are powerrd by the pump and are the ones that open the trunk. Assist strutd are like the ones on your hood. They dont lift it, they just mske it eadier and hold it up once lifted. if you open your trunk all the way then close it about 6-8 inches, it should stay and not fall closed. . those assist struts sre about 40$ a psir snd i will send you a part number and location you can get them. Stabilus are oem and 1/2 the price af buying them at the dealer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have plenty of good struts. Just have the dealer contact me. There sre bssiclly two. Types. Lift struts are powerrd by the pump and are the ones that open the trunk. Assist strutd are like the ones on your hood. They dont lift it, they just mske it eadier and hold it up once lifted. if you open your trunk all the way then close it about 6-8 inches, it should stay and not fall closed. . those assist struts sre about 40$ a psir snd i will send you a part number and location you can get them. Stabilus are oem and 1/2 the price af buying them at the dealer
Yes, I need the assist struts. Can you send what and where I can get them. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought these struts (Stabilus SAC SG330112) at O'Reilly Auto parts but you can get them lots of places including Amazon. Cadillac dealer doesn't have struts but they were willing to install the ones I bought and they did that for me today. Nice to have the trunk staying open like it should again and being able to use the top. They charged me one hour for the labor. You could probably do it yourself but reading about it seemed like it could present some problems so I just paid them to do it and save me from getting pissed off if things didn't go right. LOL I had them change the oil while I was there.

Nice to hear that Bion has the hydraulics available to buy if those go bad. I will save this post for the future to contact him if those go TU. My 2007 still works great after 15 years and 67,000 miles but parts availability is always in the back of my mind these days. I no longer want to drive a long distance in the car as I did in the past in case it breaks down. I don't want to tow it 300 miles back home while we wait for parts. Runs great and keeping my fingers crossed. I have towed it 4 times in the past 7 years. Once when the transmission Park sensor failed and would not come out of gear ($1000 to fix) and then 3 times in one month about 4 years ago for the same issue each time(wire connection/corrosion problem). The third time was a charm and it has been fine since then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts