Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,
My '04 XLR has been showing a "Service Ride Control" error in the display for the last couple of Seasons. It first occurred when I replace a broken height adjustment bolt in the Passenger Rear Spring assembly. At the time I disconnected the shock absorber and pulled the control arm down without disconnecting the ride height sensor - I believed that I had broken something in that sensor causing the error light to come on. At first the error was intermittent, and now it comes on every time I drive - plus the car rides very rough now, not spongy but extremely rigid and bangs over most road bumps. I replaced that Passenger rear ride height sensor this spring, hoping it would solve the problem, but the code remains. I've read a lot of posts that indicate that water in the Drivers side trunk compartment getting onto the Active Suspension control module (discontinued) may be the culprit. However the vehicle has never been in a deep water situation, and that compartment appears to have never been wet - a fine layer of dust evenly coats the inside. I know the shocks are in need of replacing - they all show signs of having bled out. Before I do that though (as shocks are quite expensive and difficult to source), I'm wondering if there are any other suggestions as to what may be causing that error code, and if the only thing it could be is that Active Suspension control module, will new shocks even improve the ride if that module is not replaced and the code persists? I should also mention, I am NOT experiencing the speed limitation that others have mentioned as a result of this code (limiting at 80 MPH / 130 KPH).

·
Registered
11 Posts
If anyone is interested, I've been able to build for the 2004-2005 a bypass for the suspension module. It doesn't make the magnetic ride shocks work but it does remove the "service ride control" and "80 mph speed limit" messages and will allow the XLR to drive faster than 80 mph. If your suspension module 10348979 is broken and you have switched to regular shocks this bypass will remove the messages. If your suspension module is working and you are using the corvette simulators on the shocks and position sensors, this will allow you to remove the suspension module and sell it for close to $3k. It will require slicing 5 wires from the old suspension module.
Luggage and bags Bag Adapter Eyewear Rectangle

·
Registered
8 Posts
If anyone is interested, I've been able to build for the 2004-2005 a bypass for the suspension module. It doesn't make the magnetic ride shocks work but it does remove the "service ride control" and "80 mph speed limit" messages and will allow the XLR to drive faster than 80 mph. If your suspension module 10348979 is broken and you have switched to regular shocks this bypass will remove the messages. If your suspension module is working and you are using the corvette simulators on the shocks and position sensors, this will allow you to remove the suspension module and sell it for close to $3k. It will require slicing 5 wires from the old suspension module.
View attachment 837
Just last week I had a rattle in the rear of the car. Thought it was the muffler system. It was the horizontal leaf spring bolts that broke. Waiting for a new one to come in. As far as water in the driver side trunk compartment, I’ve had that also. Found out the drains were plug with debris. Had to blowout all the drains. No issues since.

·
Registered
91 Posts
best thing is to remove the lip seal as it gets sticky and does not work. Also make sure you have had the recall repair done on the drivers trunk corner to stop the leak. I keep an old towel over the carpet on the left rear and check it from time to time .The cars will leak and the water goes right into the module. 04/05 are the only ones really that get damaged. Would love to see a photo of those broke leaf spring bolts. Thats a new one i have not seen or heard of before. I have seen the leaf springs crack and the rubber bushings dissolve.

·
Registered
8 Posts
View attachment 837
Hello, I have contacted you before re your bypass module. I am considering going with it but I am having trouble figuring out the Corvette simulators and position sensors(I don't know where to look for these). If you can steer me to where I can get these then I can figure out what I am going to do. I have a base 2005 xlr with 104k on it.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, I have contacted you before re your bypass module. I am considering going with it but I am having trouble figuring out the Corvette simulators and position sensors(I don't know where to look for these). If you can steer me to where I can get these then I can figure out what I am going to do. I have a base 2005 xlr with 104k on it.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
The bypass module doesn't require any corvette simulators it's all self contained.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Then I can keep my same shocks with the bypass module? or get new regular shocks if I want. They are the magnetic type but seem to work OK. Still have service ride control on DIC that I assume your module will eliminate, along with 80mph speed restriction. Correct?
Thanks again, just trying to get it right before I commit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Then I can keep my same shocks with the bypass module? or get new regular shocks if I want. They are the magnetic type but seem to work OK. Still have service ride control on DIC that I assume your module will eliminate, along with 80mph speed restriction. Correct?
Thanks again, just trying to get it right before I commit.
Your suspension module may be OK. Checks for voltage error codes before using a bypass. If the connector to just one shock has fallen off, you will get that message.
Use a obd2 reader and check for voltage errors. Check the shocks to make sure the connectors are making good contact.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts