Shift Lever Release Button malfunction.
A couple of weeks ago, the shift lever release button in my 06 XLR started acting up. It would not depress to let me shift out of park until I kept giggeling the shift lever and squeezing the button.
Today I decided to find out what was going on as it seemed to be getting worse so I got out my Shop Manuals and thinking it was mechanical, I started with the Shift Lever assembly.
After studing the assembly it was quite apperent this was an Electrical/Mechanical problem.
There is a small solenoid in the base of the Shift Lever assembly under the console trim plate that controls the release button.
To gain access to this solenoid, you have to remove the Shift Knob and the Trim Plate.
BEFORE GOING ANY FURTHER, PLACE WHEEL CHOCKS UNDER THE WHEELS AND SET THE EMERGANCY BRAKE ON TO PREVENT THE VEHICLE FROM MOVING AS YOU WILL NEED TO MOVE THE SHIFT LEVER OUT OF PARK AND INTO NEUTRAL TO PERFORM THE FOLLOWING!
To remove the Shift Knob, use a putty knife and gently insert it between the black plastic piece at the base of the Knob and the Woodgrain moulding.
While squeezing the leather padded sides of the Knob as close to the black plastic ring as possible, gently lift the handle of the putty knife up and the black ring will drop down revealing a #15 TORX head fastener. (Set screw)
Unscrew this fastener to remove the Knob.
The trim plate is held in place by 4 spring clips, 1 in each corner.
To remove it, open the center console storage door/arm rest and gently lift the back of the trim plate with your fingers. It will just pop up.
This is where it got a little tricky for me as I could not move my Shift Lever out of Park. I had to lift the trim plate as high as I could and study the solenoid assembly and figure out how I could manually activate it so I could move the Shift Lever out of Park and into Neutral. Which I was able to do.
The solenoid is controlled by 2 micro-switches which must be closed to pass an electrical signal from 2 seperate sources before it will energize. These switches are mounted on the solenoid assembly and by giggling the wires connected to them, I could tell which switch was causing the problem as both switches would move in their mounts.
The solenoid assembly is held in place by 2 small Phillip screws and the assembly has to be removed from it's mounted posistion to get to the micro-switches.
My problem was 1 of these switch's lever was not closing the switch.
CURE/FIX; I physically bent the lever with a pair of needle nose pliers for positive switching of the micro-switch.
This whole process took me a little over 2 hours to research and fix and if I have to do it again, which I doubt, it will probably only take me less than a half hour as long as I had the 4 tools I used.